Sasquatch in the Pleistocene

Sasquatchodon

This is sort hypothetical topic, but I thought it would be interesting at least as a thought experiment. How do you think Sasquatch would have fit into the Pleistocene in North America, especially with all of the other megafauna and their extinctions? I think considering the context of what kind of ecosystems and landscapes Sasquatch would have evolved in back then can be helpful when thinking about potential behaviors and models today.

Something to consider is that Bigfoot would have almost certainly crossed over from Asia over the Bering Land Bridge sometime 12k years ago or much earlier. They wouldn’t be the biggest baddest predator like they are now. There would be Smilodons, Lions, Short Faced Bears and all sort of other nasty stuff. Could this explain their preference for remote habitat? Living in dense mountainous forests away from predators? 

Much of the megafauna went extinct at the end of the last ice age, when widespread human habitation also happened. Humans potentially caused this. What allowed Sasquatches to survive while other megafauna went extinct? Could this also help explain their rareness and reclusiveness form humans? Perhaps they’re recovering from a near extinction back then. Jaguars and Cougars went extinct in North America at the end of the Pleistocene, and only recolonized from South America after.

I think it would be smart for researches to keep an eye out for potential fossil evidence from back then. While the connection is far fetched, there is an interesting site from 120k of a Mastodon that might have had marrow taken out of it by  hominids: 

https://www.sciencealert.com/mastodon-residue-supports-controversial-theory-about-the-first-settlers-in-america/amp

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 8:25 PM, Sasquatchodon said:

Much of the megafauna went extinct at the end of the last ice age, when widespread human habitation also happened. Humans potentially caused this. What allowed Sasquatches to survive while other megafauna went extinct?

I tend to think that they came across the land bridge MUCH earlier than 12k years ago, and adapted/changed with the other creatures that BECAME megafauna. They were/are megafauna, compared to us humans. I don't remember where I read all this, but the general gist has stayed with me. What hominid could compete with Short Faced Bears and Dire Wolves? Sasquatch. They are hold-overs from another age, and their intelligence has allowed them to adapt to changing conditions. The last 150 years must have been tough on them, encountering new diseases as Europeans colonized North America and our technological advances.

Just my two cents, since no one else has answered. 

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 2

This is all pretty much what I've assumed since I learned about mega fauna when visiting the local museum in elementary school. Our area has quite a few mastodon finds, someone dug one up while digging a swimming pool a bunch of years ago.

Anywho, all seems as plausible as anything else. Would also explain the dna relationship if that's all true.

As to why they survived when the others were extinguished, they're so much like us, to avoid us, but alien enough to survive in the harshest world that we could no longer thrive in (in the numbers we support this year), as to the other giant beasties being gone, apparently there's one left, and we're repeating our bad habits, witness Chinese Giant Salamander

• Upvote 1

I would imagine that they would rely heavily on their intelligence and stealth as well as being in groups. And I'm sure that being an animal that can reportedly get up to 10 ft tall (or bigger, in some reports) and weigh up to 1,000 lbs that has the ability to hurl large rocks and boulders would have it's advantages in both hunting and self defense scenarios. I think that they could manage decently. Their intelligence, adaptability and stealthiness was probably the deciding factor in them being able to survive while all of the other mega fauna was wiped out. 

Love the thought exercise! I think a lot of the points and theories you expressed are a very rational why of looking at how Sasquatch got here, and I think absolutely, that the last 150 years, specially in North America has probably disrupted a lot of their habitants and who knows how much their population may have depleted just in the time period! I won’t even hesitate a guess because I have no place to even start! 

I think the potential for fossil finds is so exciting! And I am sure they are out there to be found! I think a reason a body has not been found, is that maybe they bury their dead? 

Chimps, Elephants, and possibly even smaller animals like foxes are being discovered to bury their dead in a way. Crows also I learned, perform ritual type behaviours for their dead. 

Just more thoughts:)

Some scary stuff there, norseman. I've been up close to a couple of hyenas at a local private game preserve where a family friend worked. There was a very heavy chain link fence between myself and them, and they were snarling viciously at me through it, giving me genuine shivers. I can imagine the terror of any hominid facing a pack of them with only a spear or club! Their chances would be very poor indeed.

• Like 1