Meldrum article

Madison5716

He’s definitely had a fascinating life and one of a kind career. Keeping an open mind is something most people can’t do.

5 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Is Bigfoot real? Idaho State professor searches for Sasquatch (msn.com)

A nice article about Jeffrey Meldrum and how he got started researching sasquatch.

I have not met Dr. Meldrum.  However, my wife and I were in Idaho Falls one day walking near the green belt.  I look and there is Dr. Meldrum with his wife.  We made eye contact and he knew, that I knew, who he was.  I nodded and we went on our way.  I did not feel the need to interrupt his afternoon with his wife.  But his interviews on various documentaries are well thought out.  He is a scientist and he stays that way.  He has been good for the Bigfoot/Sasquatch debate.

• Upvote 1

He was putting his professional reputation on the line at a time when colleagues thought, and may still think, a bigfoot was nothing more than legend.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Nice to see an article on Sasquatch where they are not poking fun at the subject.  The wilderness goat trekker sighting in Colorado is one of the eye-openers for sure. There are some private sighting reports I have heard from sheep herders in Southwest Wyoming too that confirm they are there.  The conundrum is between the biological aspect of the evidence on Sasquatch and the many details of sightings that definitely fall into another category of belief, come science or high water.  Meldrum's sighting report enclosed in that article was from the Standing appropriated research area near Kamloops from what I understand (a member taxidermist detailed some of the hijinks regarding that unfortunate misappropriation in some thread/post here and elsewhere on taxidermy forums IIRC). 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 1

The article is really good.  We don’t know all the interviewer discussed with Meldrum only the part chosen by the writer to appear in the article.   I say this because I don’t see how the best Bigfoot encounter meldrum mentions is this lady who saw 2 Bigfoot creatures ( goat hiker).    First the PGF has a film and physical cast of prints to gov with it.  Also, this lady might relate the story but why does Meldrum trust its true?    He must know her and have faith she is truthful.  Really it’s just another story.   Interesting sighting but it just a story.    Are there photos of tracks?     Film, hair, and so on?     That makes it as an encounter average.    Surprised Meldrum emphasized this one.  Maybe I should read it again to see what I am missing.   

Had the good fortune to spend time with Jeff Meldrum at a conference in Florida a good few years ago now. He impressed me immensely with his sheer enthusiasm for the subject. He was very generous with his time and spoke with everyone who either had questions or wanted to relate their own experience. Heck he even put up with some Scottish guy giving him a hard time for working with Todd Standing! 

I'm not sure if anyone will have heard anything negative about the good doctor from anyone who has met him. I often hear from some quarters that Meldrum is simply somehow cashing in on his Sasquatch interests. Not quite sure what this is based on. Yep, he's the go to guy who is clearly inundated with offers and work in the Sasquatch field. Simply a by-product of the work put into a field where calm, sensible and scientific voices are at a premium.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MarkGlasgow said:Yep, he's the go to guy who is clearly inundated with offers and work in the Sasquatch field. Simply a by-product of the work put into a field where calm, sensible and scientific voices are at a premium.  

Meldrum’s credibility has moved the Bigfoot discussion into the reasonable realm.    He is respected by scientists and speaks their language.   He is fair and presents well on TV.  It seems they attack his “ enthusiasm for the subject” but not his methods or credentials.    

• Upvote 1