Valley of the Apes: The Search for Sasquatch in Area X

CelticKevin

Th

12 hours ago, Explorer said:

Like many, I am also disappointed that after 10 years (778 man-days according to the author) of dedicated efforts by many smart people, no good photos or voucher specimen was collected.

Sasquatching is for those who have a healthy amount of patience.  Those who seek immediate gratification are relying almost entirely on luck; akin to buying a Powerball ticket.  In the end, you put yourself in the best situation possible after having considered a number of factors and issues, then hope for the best.

A good read - as others have stated this isn't documentation that is going to convince the world of anything - but I feel the book belongs on the recommended reading list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quote from page 230:

"Between 2011 and 2021, NAWAC members reported 51 "hard" sightings of wood apes. (By hard sightings, I mean visuals that could not have been anything else; the "soft" sightings of large animals suspected of being apes have been removed)."

That is an amazing feat by itself!

I recall that Michael Mayes said or wrote later, that in retrospect, had they all been wearing GoPro body cameras all the time, they would have obtained the video evidence.

I think the Ouachita project monograph provides more data on how many people (and exactly who) were involved in those visual sightings. 

Many of the field researchers had repeat sightings over the 10-11 year period, so the number of people who had those 51 sightings is probably <15. 

Between 2011 and 2021, they conducted research on 3 different locations (but all within the general area):

-2011 -2015:  Area X cabin compound

-2016:   Blue 3 camp on the saddle between 2 valleys

-2017 to 2021: Camp David (~1 mile away from the cabin compound)

What is not clear is the distribution of these visuals between the 3 locations.

My reading of the tea leaves is that the majority of the reported visuals occured in Area X, but the new Camp David also had some.

Regardless, I don't know of any other area in the USA that has had so many visual sightings concentrated in such a small area.

On the other hand, I don't think any other field research group in the USA had dedicated 778 man-days into any narrow area of research besides NAWAC.

I don't think that even the Olympic Project folks have spent that number of man-days camping in a dedicated hot-spot.

There are hot-spots in WA with a high number of visual sightings over the years, but not by a single dedicated research team but by visits from independent researchers, BFRO teams, and other groups.

Many leaving audio recording and game camera traps for long periods of time.

It helps a lot that Area-X and now Camp David are private lands while the WA spots that I am aware of are in public lands and hard to settle and take over for 4-5 months every spring-summer.

I think that the Area-X hot-spot is unique in that sense.

On 11/16/2022 at 2:14 PM, Explorer said:

The creatures were not being baited with food to go there, so it appears that they just wanted to mess with the humans.

The wood apes know the humans and their motor vehicles.  A high degree of 'messing with humans' exists. The best bait is a snoring human. Humans that do 'cartoon snoring' would be worth a try.

• 7 months later...
BFF Patron
On 7/19/2022 at 12:25 AM, Catmandoo said:

The Kilo incident of 2013 had a shooter with a thermal scoped 30-06 that attempted a head shot. The round was deflected by foliage. The bait was a snoring human in a tent.

Obviously that type of incident could cure obstructive sleep apnea in almost any kind of bait.  Seems like the blood spatter could be studied for proteins, typing etc. and makeup even if dna would be difficult

to acquire.  

...The Wood Apes have been throwing Hershisers at the researchers for decades. ...

Maybe return fire with Baby Ruths would up the ante...

@Catmandoo

Edited by bipedalist

27 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

Maybe return fire with Baby Ruths would up the ante...

For the FYI file, 'Baby Ruths' do not float.  I did a buoyancy test years ago.  And, 'Hershisers' are curve balls............

• Haha 1

BFF Patron
8 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

For the FYI file, 'Baby Ruths' do not float.  I did a buoyancy test years ago.  And, 'Hershisers' are curve balls............

Yah but if you threw a Baby Ruth curve ball in the middle of the night, would Sasquatch The Woodape (and not the Homo) be able to differentiate

it from OUMUAMUA in time to avert a full=blown panic attack and croak?!

https://www.space.com/interstellar-object-oumuamua-origins-tidal-disruption.html

BFF Patron
On 6/29/2022 at 12:17 PM, norseman said:

There won’t be. They have traded off the rifle for a camera. Heard it on Cliff and Bobo.

Too bad they didn't even get to or skipped the paintball gun stage with UV spydust icing innards? Go figure?  

Edited by bipedalist

8 hours ago, bipedalist said:

Too bad they didn't even get to or skipped the paintball gun stage with UV spydust

Toy Claymores are available on Amazon for about $50.  Trip wire or short range remote control ( if they see the trip wire, they will use the trees ). UV ink is available. Load your own plastic spheres are available for paintball ops. If sprayed with pink paintball goo, the other wood apes will laugh and give up their location.

• Thanks 1

SSR Team
On 11/17/2022 at 9:10 PM, Explorer said:

Quote from page 230:

"Between 2011 and 2021, NAWAC members reported 51 "hard" sightings of wood apes. (By hard sightings, I mean visuals that could not have been anything else; the "soft" sightings of large animals suspected of being apes have been removed)."

That is an amazing feat by itself!

Regardless, I don't know of any other area in the USA that has had so many visual sightings concentrated in such a small area.

On the other hand, I don't think any other field research group in the USA had dedicated 778 man-days into any narrow area of research besides NAWAC.

I don't think that even the Olympic Project folks have spent that number of man-days camping in a dedicated hot-spot.

There are hot-spots in WA with a high number of visual sightings over the years, but not by a single dedicated research team but by visits from independent researchers, BFRO teams, and other groups.

No, definitely not that much, not anywhere near that even.

It's so difficult, time finances, life, fair play to NAWAC for being able to commit so much of all that i mentioned.

The OP absolutely would be close to that number in nights recorded since 2020 however and i think beyond that number now too. I do personally believe that to be just as important to man hours for many different reasons.

I've got two virtually solid years worth of data to work with right now that i need to get in to from the Nest Area, with the year from March 2021 to March 2022 being close to 365 nights of full recordings.

BFF Patron

Just curious @BobbyO do those 365 days/evenings of 2 years worth of data include both audio and video recordings and moreover

are you as a single individual doing all the data analysis and review if so?  If you can't reply to the thread please PM in this regard.  

SSR Team

Hi B, hope all is well ?

The 2 years of data consists of mainly audio, however, good timing, because there's high end (imo) videoing equipment coming imminently that the boys are crazy excited with, although that's not my thing and i don't know a great deal about that stuff.

Yep, all me RE the analysis. I'll juggle best i can with life and work to get it done soonest but realistically i'm back in a 5 month hard stretch of work now with free time at best, next Jan, when i get a three month window that i can get my head in to it. I hope to drop anything i can do in this period publicly whenever possible though, if i can get stuff done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I still have a hard time believing after all those sightings and run ins in such a rich area that they couldn't get a decent photo (let alone a body).

SSR Team
On 7/10/2023 at 4:10 AM, CelticKevin said:

I still have a hard time believing after all those sightings and run ins in such a rich area that they couldn't get a decent photo (let alone a body).

If you dig in to those sightings, i think you'll find none are for any real length of time and none are much more but a fleeting glimpse and/or obstructed.

I don't think these things go through the length of time they have 'not existing' if posing for pictures and by that i obviously don't mean literally, but just in general, you don't get too many reports of them that give the opportunity for good pics. They do occur but they're not common, and appear only when they've made a pretty bad mistake which has led to exposure.

Camoflauge > Retreat appear to be the go to for these things and one thing that i think that doesn't get anywhere near enough emphasised when we talk about researchers taking pics, unless the researcher who has the sighting has seen one before, the shock that would come of what would be conformation would outweigh the 'quick let me grab a camera' mentality all day, every day.

Add in the mixer the thinking of potential danger and uncertainty of the situation and i think it's much more understandable why there are so few, if any, decent pics of these things, PGF aside.

• Upvote 2