I got one!

Grubfingers

D30269C7-7812-49CC-AD3D-BCA8B4622EE5.thumb.jpeg.a453d1978efa27d2866755692b6a2299.jpeg

My first blobsquatch! I never understood them and even made fun of them until today. There I was faced with this moving creature that appears to be struggling? While I struggle trying to identify this animal so far away. I thought I can just zoom right in later and see what it was. This is my failure for not getting closer I’m now one of them. I have to admit it, I’m a blobsquatch person. 

• Haha 1

7B08A591-F390-414B-8838-7E6A8BEE2128.thumb.png.4e48bdb46ed1af19f7ba1d2a523813df.png

I’m calling it not a Squatch after reviewing the second photo it appears to be a new born deer laying down.

41 minutes ago, norseman said:

It’s not easy doing photos in the woods with a phone.

You’re right I see now I need a better camera with an optical zoom.

I have tons of phone pics of birds at the feeder ten feet away and they all are varying degrees of blob birds. I have blob deer, blob turkeys and such that had abnormal features such as turkey toms with multiple beards and hens with beards, deer that are piebald and blonde or antler anomalies. All taken with the idea that I can zoom in on the pic, but it is almost always a fail. And yet, I never seem to get be able to resist taking a pic of something knowing it will be a blob.

• gigantor featured this topic
6 hours ago, Grubfingers said:

I’m a blobsquatch person. 

There is a 12 step program that may help:

• Camera, DSLR
  • telephoto lens ( its all about the glass )
  • macro lens
  • batteries
  • memory, SD or CF cards
  • understanding focus
  • understanding exposure
  • understanding depth of field
  • lighting
  • filters
  • frame rate (video )
  • tripod

It is a large chunk of money. You have good weather and natural lighting  currently to begin your 'conversion' away from phone cameras.

The Holy Grail of this forum and for many of us is on 16mm Kodachrome film.

'Film is truth at 24 frames per second'.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Grubfingers said:

7B08A591-F390-414B-8838-7E6A8BEE2128.thumb.png.4e48bdb46ed1af19f7ba1d2a523813df.png

I’m calling it not a Squatch after reviewing the second photo it appears to be a new born deer laying down.

You could well be right it's a newborn fawn. The mothers do stash them away, even at times in what appears to be in plain sight. Any struggling you may have seen was likely the fawn trying to find it's legs. I read somewhere after licking the fawn clean to eliminate any scent, the mother will also stay away for a little while, likely until the fawn can walk, so she won't leave her scent around and attract predators while it's vulnerable.

You get an A for effort. Whether out in a field or closer to the edge, or maybe in some woods, imagine if you noticed something and had decided you were just seeing some known animal and weren't going to take the picture, and then saw something bipedal walk away and disappear. 

Admin

At the time my wife was interesting in doing nature photography. So I got here a nice Nikon DSLR setup for Christmas, over $1000 worth. She still takes pictures with her phone... :rolleyes:

I agree, if you are serious about photos, learn how to use and always carry a "real" camera with you at all times. I understand that the best pro photographers always have their camera(s) with them, even when they are not planning on taking pictures, just in case something pops up. You can get a pretty good setup for under $500 these days, and of course you can go a lot higher if your budget allows. Just treat it as another piece of equipment that you need to carry, even when you are not planning on shooting pics. You never know when that once in a lifetime opportunity will surprise you.

• Upvote 1

Not exactly what I would call a blob squatch. Mainly,  because I don't think anyone would mistake your photo for a man ape.

However, I did think it was a cat at first. 

Grubfingers,

Since you're now a blobsquatcher, this one is on mebeer8.jpg.d9dbb6c9af5cc3739469ee5902168e15.jpg.

• Haha 4

Camcorders should not be overlooked. Small with respectable optics and low light performance. Follow focus.  Camcorders do well during zooming. A DLSR may require follow focus when in video mode. Some, but not all, camcorders under $1000 have a 'hot' HDMI port. Hot HDMI port means that you can send the video to an external recording device. Without the hot HDMI port, the video file may be limited to under 30 minutes. It stops, drops a frame and starts a new file. Recording time in camera is limited to the size of the SD card.

Couple ways to go: DSLR and or camcorder. Many  very good set ups are under $1000. During the selection process, keep in mind that many companies that are selling cameras have never made a lens. It is all about the glass.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic

12 step program! 

"I've admitted to god, myself and another that blobsquatches have made my life unmanagable...."

• Haha 1