Color and imagery

BugMaster

SSR Team

Hi, everyone! It has been a while since I have posted, but I have an interesting (potentially) analysis I wanted to share. Although these data are not from the SSR, @Matrix and I thought this could be something of interest. Color is a field in the SSR though, so eyewitnesses do report it.

ThinkerThunker recently did a color analysis on the Ontario Bigfoot footage. He collected color (RGB) data at various points in the footage subject, then drew a basic sketch of the subject using those colors. While that does not prove or disprove the subject's validity, it does raise an interesting qualitative analysis for footage subjects in the future. 

I looked at 2 subjects for this analysis: The PG Film (widely accepted as the real deal, but not proven/disproven) and the "Flash of Beauty" subject (admitted to be faked). I used photoshop and color picker tool, just like TT did, and collected 12 data points from each subject. I made sure to hit the major body parts (head, ankle, thigh, arm, chest, etc). Then, I entered those data into a spreadsheet and plotted them in 3D space to compare the spread of values.

Hypothesis (We owe this one to Matrix) : A subject which is a real animal would most likely have more varying color in their pelage (hair/fur) than a costume.

Results: Patty had more distribution in her coloration than the Flash of Beauty subject.

Discussion: Making costumes is hard! Adding the variation of colors that we see in known mammals (take for example wolves and coyotes, which have patterned pelage) is difficult and time consuming. It would require tedious research and effort with dyes. Is it possible? Sure, if you put in the time and effort and money. Is it likely? Probably not. Most costumes you get for Halloween have monotypic coloration (e.g., most gorilla costumes are jet black. I'm sure all of us know that they have brown and greys mixed into their hair, depending on species and gender).

What is your take on this? Is coloration a valid way to tell hoax from a likely real Sasquatch?

Next step: FOB vs an Orangutan to see if there is a significant difference in RGB

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays!

RGB_comparison3d.png

bigfoot-film-patterson-gimlin.webp

flash.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

SSR Team

Thank you, hiflier. We hope to do this with a few more subjects and see what those analyses yield.

BFF Patron

There is something to this analysis I think.  I am also thinking of some of the analysis of putative BF hairs by people like Meldrum/Mioncyznski which may allude to BF guard hairs and undercoat fur like coyotes as I remember.  Just throwing that out there.  

• Upvote 1

SSR Team
3 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

There is something to this analysis I think.  I am also thinking of some of the analysis of putative BF hairs by people like Meldrum/Mioncyznski which may allude to BF guard hairs and undercoat fur like coyotes as I remember.  Just throwing that out there.  

Very cool, bipedalist. Thank you for sharing. That does not surprise me at all. If you are a large mammal living in montane areas, you need some nice pelage to retain your heat (and protect from moisture, also seen in montane areas!). I will have to give these pdfs a read!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BugMaster said:

Thank you, hiflier. We hope to do this with a few more subjects and see what those analyses yield.

You're welcome. Would bringing in some color palettes from any great apes be helpful as an additional control? Although, the idea of using man-made suits seems to work just fine for that having a third set of data points in the space where one set is say a Gorilla, Chimp, or Orangutan might be a neat corollary.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

SSR Team
5 minutes ago, hiflier said:

You're welcome. Would bringing in some color palettes from any great apes be helpful as an additional control? Although, the idea of using man-made suits seems to work just fine for that having a third set of data points in the space where one set is say a Gorilla, Chimp, or Orangutan might be a neat corollary.

Yes, you are exactly right. That is our next step. Orangutan for sure (for the FOB) and probably a gorilla (for PG).

BFF Patron
47 minutes ago, BugMaster said:

Yes, you are exactly right. That is our next step. Orangutan for sure (for the FOB) and probably a gorilla (for PG).

I would say bring in a bonobo and maybe some of the Lemur species and smaller primates too, also @Bill needs to weigh in and give his take as a suit expert!

SSR Team
3 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

I would say bring in a bonobo and maybe some of the Lemur species and smaller primates too, also @Bill needs to weigh in and give his take as a suit expert!

Excellent advice. I will get some smaller primates too! @Matrix and I would love to hear feedback from Bill!

I know I harp a lot about bringing science deeper into this Bigfoot subject but you're work is highly indicative of why I've been stressing the point. I saw right away that this work is going to have a major impact on how important and relative to the subject such a unique approach as this is going to be. It looks to be a fine tool for retroactively addressing potential hoaxes. Having said that, will there come a point where members can submit examples to you to run through your program? I apologize if it seems like I'm getting to far ahead of things.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

@Catmandoo is pretty good with the UV index and color patterning/reflectivity, you might give a shout out to him to do some 

brainstorming (not that BF is seen wearing camo alot) but it is said the hollow medulla may have special light scattering properties

that might be relevant to your modeling and thesis!

SSR Team
1 minute ago, bipedalist said:

@catmandoo is pretty good with the UV index and color patterning/reflectivity, you might give a shout out to him to do some 

brainstorming (not that BF is seen wearing camo alot) but it said the hollow medulla may have special light scattering properties

that might be relevant to your modeling and thesis!

Very cool! I will look into this with catmandoo. If nothing else, I will reach out to him.

SSR Team
9 minutes ago, hiflier said:

I know I harp a lot about bringing science deeper into this Bigfoot subject but you're work is highly indicative of why I've been stressing the point. I saw right away that this work is going to have a major impact on how important and relative to the subject such a unique approach as this is going to be. It looks to be a fine tool for retroactively addressing potential hoaxes. Having said that, will there come a point where members can submit examples to you to run through your program? I apologize if it seems like I'm getting to far ahead of things.

I am always happy to take BFF members' ideas / data and make a result/graph/plot with them! it would be possible to do this easily with color RGB data. I strive for reproducible studies. If one wants to try to their hand at this analysis, give me a holler and I can show them the data layout.

Maybe the first step might be a BFF member (or several?) to round up all the supposed BF photos and videos into one place and create a repository of visual images to run through the RGB process. Over time it could result in a database that shows good images/videos that pass at least the initial RGB litmus test. On the good side of that, it may help individuals who have lost credibility through the BFF's vetting/discussion process to regain their credibility? Or be forever rejected. TWO image that comes to mind right away are 1) Erickson's "Matilda," and 2) Standing's "Muppet." 

Speaking of which, what if the "real" Chewbacca from Star Wars turns out to NOT be a costume? ;) Or Harry and the Hendersons? Probably nothing wrong with running both of them through the program?

Edited by hiflier

SSR Team
1 hour ago, hiflier said:

Maybe the first step might be a BFF member (or several?) to round up all the supposed BF photos and videos into one place and create a repository of visual images to run through the RGB process. Over time it could result in a database that shows good images/videos that pass at least the initial RGB litmus test. On the good side of that, it may help individuals who have lost credibility through the BFF's vetting/discussion process to regain their credibility? Or be forever rejected. TWO image that comes to mind right away are 1) Erickson's "Matilda," and 2) Standing's "Muppet." 

Speaking of which, what if the "real" Chewbacca from Star Wars turns out to NOT be a costume? ;) Or Harry and the Hendersons? Probably nothing wrong with running both of them through the program?

An interesting idea! No harm in adding them into the graph, but I would predict either drastic spreads or no spread. It would be good to see more known fakes to "Train" us. I think a repo of images/stills would be great for BFF