How can the aPe survive in extreme cold temperature?

RedHawk454

It’s -3 where I’m at and I was outside for about two minutes in a t shirt and shorts.  It’s cold.  

I was just wondering how could Sasquatch handle such extreme

cold temperatures?  

I know they have thick hair but I can’t see how they could survive in the negatives..

With a bit of research one can run down maps of cave locations, like this one for example. Although it's from 1963, one would think that most of the caves, unless entrances have been barred off, are still around: Washington Caves.pdf Local grottos of the National Spelunker's Society may have info but one needs to become a member and most locations are still fairly guarded. Search the USGS in your respective state or its mining cave locations which should reward one with active and inactive caves and mines to research. My advice? never go in one because any bat colonies present are extremely sensitive intrusion and the cave could be cross contaminated should a visitor be wearing clothes that are contaminated with, say, White Nose Virus which has already killed untold millions of bats.

One can see where this idea is going? Everyone claims that the Sasquatch knows its own back yard like the back of its hand so I think it safe to say it knows where ALL the caves, bear dens, rock shelters, rock overhangs, and other such places to hunker down in extreme weather conditions. Add in that larger creatures can withstand cold better than small ones and I see no concerns with the Sasquatch riding out stretches of brutal winter conditions. On the flip side, this same idea works for the sometimes brutally hot stretches of summer weather as well. And then there's avoiding hunters and other Humans in order to have protection for the young.

Many national parks do not have caves per say, but around 35 or more do. The total number is in the high 3,000's and they are closely monitored by the NPS for all kinds of science data including paleoarcheology and eDNA. So does the NPS know if Sasquatches use their caves or not? Dunno.......ask 'em.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

You'd be surprised how well hair blocks the elements, it always boggled me how Wolves could survive in that frigid environment due to how lean they are, but it's all that fur. Hair is no different in functionality, just look at Mountain Gorillas, at a certain point hair is just as good as fur.

Edited by Marty

Here's a map of around 7000 caves in Missouri: 7000 Caves B&W County.pdf The point being how would the density and locations of these caves compare to, say, historical BF sightings or evidence in Missouri. Looking at the BFRO, the SSR on this Forum, or John Green's database, may offer some clues. Maybe with using a seasonal criteria?

The thing is one can speculate and give their opinion but that speculation or opinion better serves the BF community if the argument can be backed up with hard data. No reason why that can't happen if one is really interested in the question of seasonal survival of this creature along with its families. Also, certain pattern of scientific research can be carried to other states to help support a hypothesis such as this, and it's not at all difficult thing to do. Think of the benefits. Tennessee, for instance, has the second largest number of caves in the US. Sasquatch encounters aren't always in remote places and neither are caves. Overlaying one with the other could be an interesting revelation.

I've always found the cave for shelter hypothesis interesting and viable. However, there is always a however, despite reading literally thousands of reports over the years, I've not came across many if any relating to an encounter within a cave. There could be a variety of reasons for this of course but I've never felt that there has been any 'leads' if you like suggesting Sasquatch use caves at all. 

Spelunkers are very guarded about their spots of course. Are they just as tight lipped about disturbing sheltering Sasquatch? An encounter in that environment would be frankly terrifying and highly dangerous.

How do deer, elk, cats, porcupine or any other mammal survive below zero temps? Bulk, fat, hair, movement and an instinct for basic shelter.

• Upvote 1

I would imagine that the sheer bulk and thick hair that these creatures possess would be more than enough to survive during the winter months. That and there's always the possibility of them utilizing dens and caves during the coldest time of the year. 

7 hours ago, MarkGlasgow said:

I've always found the cave for shelter hypothesis interesting and viable. However, there is always a however, despite reading literally thousands of reports over the years, I've not came across many if any relating to an encounter within a cave. There could be a variety of reasons for this of course but I've never felt that there has been any 'leads' if you like suggesting Sasquatch use caves at all. 

Spelunkers are very guarded about their spots of course. Are they just as tight lipped about disturbing sheltering Sasquatch? An encounter in that environment would be frankly terrifying and highly dangerous.

I like the IDEA of sasquatch using caves, but as you've noted, I don't recall ever reading of an encounter within one. 

I think of it this way. Humans survived the last ice age without Smartwool and NorthFace and snowboots, so I assume sasquatch, with its hair, would do even better. Maybe they have skin like cowhide, nearly impervious to the elements. 

Admin

The Japanese "Snow Monkeys" survive just fine in cold weather.

The macaque has a pinkish face and posterior.[7] The rest of its body is covered in brown or greyish hair.[5] The coat of the macaque is well-adapted to the cold and its thickness increases as temperatures decrease. The macaque can cope with temperatures as low as −20 °C

snow-monkey.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2022 at 1:35 AM, Madison5716 said:

I like the IDEA of sasquatch using caves, but as you've noted, I don't recall ever reading of an encounter within one. 

I think of it this way. Humans survived the last ice age without Smartwool and NorthFace and snowboots, so I assume sasquatch, with its hair, would do even better. Maybe they have skin like cowhide, nearly impervious to the elements. 

I don't have the book to hand, but I believe there is a story in Raincoast Sasquatch of someone exploring a cave and finding a very large, hairy occupant.

56 minutes ago, Nipissing said:

I don't have the book to hand, but I believe there is a story in Raincoast Sasquatch of someone exploring a cave and finding a very large, hairy occupant.

1982, 'sleeping beauty' / 'sleeping ugly' was observed sleeping / resting in a cave, not too far from the opening.  The observer knew of caves in the Bear Valley area, north of Ketchikan. He was exploring the Bear Valley and Ketchikan Lake area, at Lower Ketchikan Lake. The observer quietly left the cave.

Think of South East Alaska as a sunken mountain range. The terrain is harsh. Caves would be beneficial since the area can receive more than 150 inches of rain in a year. Caves can be a trap if there is only one way in / out. Think about ventilation. A cave that slopes downward will pool up CO2 iin the low spot(s) from respiration.

I am not around caves in Washington State. I used know miners who had an operation in Eastern Washington. Hard rock activity and they excavated quite a ways. They said the temperature in their mine was about 65 degrees F year round.

• Thanks 1

One would think, even though it's California, that Patty's "coat" would have been thicker and more filled in with dense hair than it was. California does get cold and does get snow in it's foothills even in the southern part and yet Patty's coat around her torso looks thinner than elsewhere on her body. And even on the rest of her the hair doesn't look evenly long or evenly shaggy like it would look if it were a suit. Probably not the best argument for cave use in that area of the country, though.

Other areas like the Rockies or the upper Midwest would seem stronger. But then too, those areas seem to be where USFS and USFW track wolves, Canada Lynx, and other small populations of animals by sampling snow prints. Of course that would bring up that OTHER question of whether USFS or USFW have ever come across Sasquatch-like snow prints and have sampled them. If that creature is out there then no doubt they have. And I really doubt that if they run across large Human-like barefoot prints in, say, February, or in deep snow, they their first thought would be feral Humans.

Edited by hiflier

Just think of the megalania that existed during the last period of extensive glaciation. They were huge furry mammals living in very cold habitats, so cold that as things began to shift towards warmer temps species died of as their food sources did. Sasquatch may well be the megafauna primate/hominim, evolving right along with the rest of the giant mammals that came to be, only their cooperative behaviors(hunting, defense, food gathering) higher cognition, and omnivorous diet, allowed them to adapt better to the changing conditions, and survive to this day. In that regard, things are probably almost balmy compared to the glacial days.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, guyzonthropus said:

Just think of the megalania that existed during the last period of extensive glaciation. They were huge furry mammals living in very cold habitats, so cold that as things began to shift towards warmer temps species died of as their food sources did. Sasquatch may well be the megafauna primate/hominim, evolving right along with the rest of the giant mammals that came to be, only their cooperative behaviors(hunting, defense, food gathering) higher cognition, and omnivorous diet, allowed them to adapt better to the changing conditions, and survive to this day. In that regard, things are probably almost balmy compared to the glacial days.

People tend to forget how we came about. I had a doctor lecture me on vegetarianism. We are not predators. We lack sharp teeth. I told him that’s what his opposable thumb was for. And that his 1200cc fat filled brain was not developed eating berries and tubers. We made stone weapons and stabbed and clubbed things to death and then butchered it into mobile steaks to take back to the cave.

Yes. Modern apes except humans live in tropical climates. But we don’t. Yes people will say but look at our technology… But again they forget that we moved out of Africa with nothing more than a primitive hand axe. I think the map I provided of Erectus is wrong. I think it’s hyper conservative. But even then France, Greece and Georgia get cold in the winter. 

If our genus was not adapted to the cold? We would not be here. We would still probably be fighting Chimps for territory in a African jungle somewhere.

ABF09F4D-A22D-4514-A687-1F42DE89760A.gif

• Upvote 2