How can the aPe survive in extreme cold temperature?

RedHawk454

In my last post, that was supposed to read Megafauana*  (the giant mammals forms of the last period of glaciation) as opposed to megalania(the large, 7m, varanid lizard of australia, that went extinct a fair while back, though early aboriginals may well have encountered them)

• Upvote 1

I

Norseman, I think you're right about the map and it's conservative range suggested for H.erectus. If it made it that far north in the far east there's little to make one think they were otherwise restricted in their northward travels elsewhere, and with the dropping sea levels, they could just as easily(ok, almost...) have followed the coastline around to Alaska and beyond, down into the new world. Until they're finding suitable stones for such toolage, they'll use what they find and make do. Of course the evidence for all this is now 100-300' under the sea along former coastlines, so there's little chance in recovering what little recognizable proof there might have been anyways. But, the absence of proof isn't proof of absence. And just because a map doesn't show a species in a region, doesn't mean it wasn't there earlier or later, or that the presumptions the map is based on were right.....

32 minutes ago, guyzonthropus said:

I

Norseman, I think you're right about the map and it's conservative range suggested for H.erectus. If it made it that far north in the far east there's little to make one think they were otherwise restricted in their northward travels elsewhere, and with the dropping sea levels, they could just as easily(ok, almost...) have followed the coastline around to Alaska and beyond, down into the new world. Until they're finding suitable stones for such toolage, they'll use what they find and make do. Of course the evidence for all this is now 100-300' under the sea along former coastlines, so there's little chance in recovering what little recognizable proof there might have been anyways. But, the absence of proof isn't proof of absence. And just because a map doesn't show a species in a region, doesn't mean it wasn't there earlier or later, or that the presumptions the map is based on were right.....

Cerutti Mastadon find and the Lake Chapala Mx skullcap find convinces me that something was here long before modern humans.

Here is the ebb and flow of ice ages. 125,000 years ago was a peak warming period. And almost 10 degrees warmer than today on avg.856C0A59-8422-4F50-A682-5535B1A5C0D6.gif.9800c1c294d48d6cace46dcac22a088a.gif856C0A59-8422-4F50-A682-5535B1A5C0D6.gif.9800c1c294d48d6cace46dcac22a088a.gif

• Upvote 1

The Mastodon is the one from Catalina island with the butchery marks on the larger bones reputed to be 120,000+ years old?

Then there's also a few accounts of human artifacts  from Brazil(I think it was) dating back past 30,000 year ago. And it no doubt took a good while getting down there from alaska, especially in light of all the predators eyeing a tasty new snack and the myriad of different ecosystems encountered along the way, not to mention the Andes if they followed the West coast all the way down.

20 hours ago, guyzonthropus said:

The Mastodon is the one from Catalina island with the butchery marks on the larger bones reputed to be 120,000+ years old?

Then there's also a few accounts of human artifacts  from Brazil(I think it was) dating back past 30,000 year ago. And it no doubt took a good while getting down there from alaska, especially in light of all the predators eyeing a tasty new snack and the myriad of different ecosystems encountered along the way, not to mention the Andes if they followed the West coast all the way down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerutti_Mastodon_site

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a middle aged female dealing with hormone cessation since 2015.  I can stay out in 4-12 degee weather during a hot flash and not feel the cold AT ALL.  It's wild! Can be out in those temps for 15-20 minutes until it passes.  Definitely made me realize how animals who run warm can manage the winter temps.  When I become so hot I immediately remove layers of clothing and if it's cool or cold I run outside until it passes.  Cannot feel the cold in any way.

Just something for you to consider.

• Like 1

I was born and reared in southern California, but lived my adult life in southcentral Alaska. It took several years to fully acclimate. Now I rarely wear a jacket or coat unless I'm out in it all day, and even then I usually just wear a long sleeved t-shirt and fleece jacket. I've also become built like an Inuit with a layer of fat like a seal. The big game animals I field dress are built like that, too. Notice that big butt on the Patterson film subject? It was October.......she probably had 3" or 4" layer of fat on her behind like a moose or bear would.

They seem to manage just fine in winter months. I imagine they can migrate if they choose to do so.  I don't think they need to migrate, though.