Anyone members in the east TX area?

CenTexSquatch

I live in central TX, but I go camping fairly regularly in east TX. I'm kind of fascinated with Boykin Springs recreational area. I learned about it through some podcasts, and found that it was a pretty active area at one time. The last three times I've camped there, I was the only overnight camper. Some hikers come in and out during the day, but everyone is gone when the sun goes down. It's usually pretty cold when I've been going, but I've been taking plenty of firewood. I've heard a distant howl or two during the late night hours.

The trail that goes back to the Aldridge sawmill is prime habit. I took my boys out there for a day trip to hike out to it, and quickly wished that I hadn't. I'm pretty sure there were things watching us. It was eerily quiet, and on one stretch of the trail I kept hearing movement on a ridge above us to the left. Thankfully I didn't take them to camp. Just a hike.

I'm also very interested in camping at and exploring the Alabama Coushatta campground near Woodville. There's supposedly regular activity there as well. I've got a couple of other recreational areas on my radar to camp at. When I drive through them during the day, there's absolutely nobody else there. Fairly primitive areas with little to no cell signal and no  bathrooms.

I know Sam Houston National Forest is a hotspot, and I've thought about camping there. But it seems to get a fairly high amount of campers, hunters and hikers. I've really come to enjoy the seclusion of some of the recreational areas that are kind of "off the beaten path", especially near Lake Sam Rayburn.

Anyone else familiar with the east Texas area? I'd love to find people out that way to meet with and possibly partner up.

• Upvote 1