Rain kilt...anyone use one?

wiiawiwb

I'm considering the purchase of a rain kilt and was curious if anyone has first-hand experience with them. In the past, if it is raining in warm weather (70F+), I'll wear my normal hiking pants and waterproof gaiters. The pants might get wet but in warm weather they'll dry out quickly. In cool weather (33F-50F), I've worn OR waterproof pants with built-in suspenders over lycra bottoms.  For in-between temperatures, I'll wear the waterproof pants and vent them using the side zippers.

I'm considering getting a rain kilt (ZPacks, ULA, or EE) which is hyperlight at 2oz-3oz and can be put on in a flash even while moving. Granted, they come with limitations such as their effectiveness in windy conditions or used when bushwhacking or climbing a steep hill. I don't consider them to be the answer to all of my wishes when hiking in the rain but just another arrow in the quiver. Also, because it is made from either DCF or silnylon material, it can be used back at camp for other things as well.

They obviously look dorky but I am not concerned with a less-than-fashionable appearance if they are functional.

Has anyone used a rain kilt or known someone who has?

I don't think it is a be-all, end-all product but might have a place in the weather arsenal. I've read about those who have a sewing machine and are willing to create a true pleated kilt have the best success. It helps to reduce issues going up a mountain and you can make it to your specific length.

I've been hiking when a storm rolled in with a fury and had to scramble to find a place to put on rain paints. Thankfully, mine have a long zipper and my boots could remain one during the process.

There are certain pieces of equipment, or clothing, that fit perfectly into a narrow range of use. I see that during shoulder seasons when spring or winter is ushered in.

• Upvote 1

Mrs. Huntster, who used to work at an elementary school, used a snow skirt when she had playground duty. It was well insulated and the length she preferred went below the knee. With her coat (that covered her butt, not a jacket) and her Mogg style boots (tall, soft leather with thick sheep wool pile insulation), she stayed warm in temps well below zero. The part she loved was that she simply stepped into it, zipped up the sides, and she was ready for action. They are very popular among Alaskan women. If they made them big enough for my fat ass, I'd consider getting one.

A similar skirt for rain would feature a similar benefit in terms of ease of use.

After consideration, and regarding my own outdoors use, I'm not sure if it would be what I need, but I can certainly think of times when it might be ideal. It would be perfect for going to the baseball game, but the light rain pants I carry are almost like a skirt with full length zippers up the outside of each side.

7C7B4AC9-552A-472B-B78F-429734EB1CCE.jpeg

That's a big fat negative from me. Not because of the silly look of them, but because of the noisy crinkle factor. I like my clothing to be as quiet as possible. 

We have a neighbor who hunts in the rain wearing a rain kilt. He says it has been super useful except the time he stayed out in sleet...by the time he got back to his truck he was iced into the kilt in a very unpleasant way, had to cut it off. He likes using one enough that he continued hunting the next day using his back up. I guess that is an endorsement.

Totally agree that if you are on the move noise could be a factor. Our neighbor hikes in to a hunting blind and hangs out there all day so he is really wanting the protection for his 3.5 miles in and 3.5 miles back out.

On 1/17/2023 at 3:57 PM, NorthWind said:

That's a big fat negative from me. Not because of the silly look of them, but because of the noisy crinkle factor. I like my clothing to be as quiet as possible. 

Do you carry any rain gear at all?

On 1/18/2023 at 8:29 PM, Huntster said:

Do you carry any rain gear at all?

Sure I do. I carry rain pants, (no pockets and I am not a fan) and I have a Helikon Tex Swagman Roll Poncho, which can cover my pack if needed, and double as a blanket in a pinch. I like it because it's quiet and surprisingly warm. Not really find of rain gear in general, but I understand the necessity of it. Jacket is the classic M65 which I have treated with Nikkwax (sp?) and a hat - either my dad's old Stetson, or a boonie-style that's water proof. The rain here isn't usually the huge drop kind, usually just more annoying than anything. I find that going water-resistant is usually sufficient for my needs. I always carry an emergency tarp (CoalCracker T-Zero) and an emergency bivy in case we have to hunker down for a spell. They take up almost no space and weigh next to nothing. 

• Upvote 1

never used one of those but ive come out of the woods many times wearing a poncho and everything below my pant pockets looked like i had been wading through a creek from all the run off from the poncho. looks useful and practical.