Using Artificial Intelligence to Ask Questions about Sasquatch

MikeZimmer

ChatGPT, Google's Bard and the rest are fed documents in all areas from a much Twitter data as they can get to Reddit content and probably BFF if they can. And it's essentially a search engine with a fancy wrapper

It can't digest information any more than it can understand it. It can subtotal, sort, group by, order by, summarize, but it can't speculate unless someone else has already done the speculation.

It can write papers, very convincing papers with zero content. Empty. False references.

It can write poems and songs too, and they're all meaningless tripe.

Your best hope is to accidentally stumble into leaked data on WikiLeaks or something like that, where the internet dictatorial hive mind has otherwise obfuscated, but these machines have been fed and exposed.

If producing information to disseminate using ChatGPT, you should be a subject matter expert so that you can evaluate it. It will give authoritative BS with grammatically correct, clear and mostly coherent prose. It will be wrong, but it presents the case so well you might buy it. It is not intelligent, but its algorithms are fiendishly clever. I am using it for writing. Many others are doing the same thing. I think in a way it is just another tool, a complex tool. Like all tools, you have to know how to use it.

It has a "Regenerate" function, which gives another take on the output. I suspect that the number of different takes is very large. I don't know if it would be infinite, but I suspect very large. There will be overlap in information, in meaning, but again, beware; the information may contain gross errors. As has been said above, it may quite sensitive to the wording of a query. However, since there is an indeterminacy in the output, with regeneration always a possibility, it is hard to know just what the effect of differing inputs is. Every time, the response seems to be different.

I had ChatGPT rephrase my words:

As an AI language model, ChatGPT is designed to generate text based on patterns and algorithms learned from a large dataset of human language. While it can provide grammatically correct and coherent text, it is important to note that it may not always be accurate or reliable, especially if the input or query is not specific or clear.

Therefore, it is crucial for users to critically evaluate the information generated by ChatGPT and not rely solely on its output without further research and verification. As mentioned, the "Regenerate" function can provide different versions of the same information, but it does not necessarily mean that all of them are correct or useful.

In summary, ChatGPT is a powerful tool for generating text, but it is not a substitute for human expertise and critical thinking. It is essential to use it with caution and verify its output before disseminating or relying on the information it generates.

This is an example of a piece I wrote using ChatGPT as a research assistant and ghostwriter. I did not have to do too much work to prompt it initially, and to get it to refine its answer. I think that more and more people are jumping on to this particular bandwagon. If you are interested in either ChatGPT as a writing assistant, or in songwriting, see this: https://songwright.substack.com/p/parts-of-a-popular-north-american

I've not used any of the AI's, but I would ask it to do a limb ratio comparison for Patty to humans.  I believe it is the most compelling evidence since it is something that cannot be faked with limb extensions.  

Let it do the math and then come to a conclusion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Northern Lights said:

I've not used any of the AI's, but I would ask it to do a limb ratio comparison for Patty to humans.  I believe it is the most compelling evidence since it is something that cannot be faked with limb extensions.  

Let it do the math and then come to a conclusion.

I am not sure about that being within its capabilities. It can probably talk about body proportions for different species of animal and different racial groups within our species. Probably not for hominids in general. It probably can give the calculations and the statistics for body ratios.

It will not have Sasquatch measurements, not any means of getting them, unless it has been trained on some relevant web pages. Keep in mind that although it is a useful tool when you know how to use it, it can come back with codswallop, couched in beautiful clean prose. It writes better than most of us, by far.

I will feed it this conversation and see how it responds.

OK, had a long conversation. It gave me a politically correct caution about using the world race. Remember, this is software trained on internet pages, scads of them, and it just put things together based on mystery statistical algorithms and those training pages.

Here is part of the conversation.

Have anthropological body ratios been established based on the Patterson Gimlin film of a possible Sasquatch or Bigfoot, nicknamed "Patty" ?

ChatGPT

To my knowledge, no anthropological body ratios have been established specifically based on the Patterson-Gimlin film of "Patty," the nickname given to the figure of a possible Sasquatch or Bigfoot captured in the footage. The film remains controversial and subject to ongoing debate among researchers and enthusiasts, and there is no scientific consensus on the existence or characteristics of Sasquatch or Bigfoot as a species or population.

Furthermore, even if anthropological body ratios were established based on the Patty footage, it would be difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions without additional evidence and data. The film provides only a limited and potentially biased view of the figure in question, and there are many factors that could influence body proportions and ratios in a supposed Sasquatch or Bigfoot, including variation within and between populations, environmental conditions, and possible hybridization or genetic exchange with other hominid species.

As with any scientific inquiry, it is important to approach the study of Sasquatch or Bigfoot with a critical and open-minded perspective, and to rely on rigorous evidence and analysis in drawing conclusions.