Your Thoughts On How Bf Stays Warm In The North

Guest Kat

They cuddle. :D

I think the same as some have said, simply like other animals do. Thier large size in itself would generate heat, puttin' on the extra calories before winter, a winter coat(hair/fur) comes in.

Pat...

Guest TooRisky

I would warn against fabricating information and others picking it up as a good idea or as the piece of this puzzle that fits for them... BF has never been seen wearing pelts of other animals skins so this can be relatively shelved as a falsehood and should not be spread... As for their stink it is from rolling in carrion to hide the scent for hunting ambushing... as for warmth here in the PNW there are 2 rules to staying alive, keep dry and keep out of the wind.... I would bet back in the thick woods there is a dug out big hole under the roots of a big Ol' Pine that Ol' Biggie curls up in to be protected from the rain/snow and being below the surface of the ground the wind will be nothing... I also am not convinced there is hair, but rather a fur that is hollow and acts as an isolator... I am not sure about storing food but it is not beyond the realm of why not, make a big kill before winter and let the cold keep the meat from spoiling and if an individual could feed on the kill for a good bit... Also in the cooler mornings when you are sound asleep Ol' Biggie is up and about with the sun, there have been reports of them sitting backs to the sun... Tucking their knees to chest and having their backs to the rising sun to warm up from the night... Look on eastern slopes, clear cuts, and meadows at sunrise...

I would warn against fabricating information and others picking it up as a good idea or as the piece of this puzzle that fits for them... BF has never been seen wearing pelts of other animals skins so this can be relatively shelved as a falsehood and should not be spread... As for their stink it is from rolling in carrion to hide the scent for hunting ambushing... as for warmth here in the PNW there are 2 rules to staying alive, keep dry and keep out of the wind.... I would bet back in the thick woods there is a dug out big hole under the roots of a big Ol' Pine that Ol' Biggie curls up in to be protected from the rain/snow and being below the surface of the ground the wind will be nothing... I also am not convinced there is hair, but rather a fur that is hollow and acts as an isolator... I am not sure about storing food but it is not beyond the realm of why not, make a big kill before winter and let the cold keep the meat from spoiling and if an individual could feed on the kill for a good bit... Also in the cooler mornings when you are sound asleep Ol' Biggie is up and about with the sun, there have been reports of them sitting backs to the sun... Tucking their knees to chest and having their backs to the rising sun to warm up from the night... Look on eastern slopes, clear cuts, and meadows at sunrise...

TooRisky,

I don't know...but I seem to recall a sightin' the described the wearin' of a pelt I think. Not that I believe they do, just that it may have indeed been reported. Just sayin'..

Pat...

People can pretty much handle temperatures down to about freezing assuming it isn't too wet or windy. That is far colder than most people ever try so it is beyond most of our experience. I believe that was true of the Eskimos and some tribes that lived in Tierra del Fuego. It probably takes a long time to get used to it. They were fairly comfortable in that temperature. We can obviously add insulating materials when it gets colder and there is nothing theoretically stopping a sasquatch from doing that. Straw is a good insulating material for bedding and that would help a lot. The position they take to avoid ground contact is also important and something they would probably learn and they might even be adapted to sleep on the ground differently. Other minor changes that could make a huge difference are size, blood flow to extremities, relative length of limbs and fingers, robustness or how heavy relative height they are, length of hair, number of hair follicles, structure of hair, thickness of skin, pads or calluses on the feet, possibly chemicals that reduce the freezing point to reduce the chance of frostbite to the toes...

Controlling blood flow is probably most important. It would have to evolve to not get frost bit but also to limit the amount of blood to the extremities as much as possible. With modern humans, we tend to increase blood flow and that allows cold adapted people to function better with cold hands. I was never bothered by putting my hands in the cold water when ice fishing. The problem with that is it wastes heat. They would logically be cold adapted in a way where they could function better with colder hands and have the best of both worlds that way. Thicker skin and better blood flow control to the exterior would also allow them to swim in much colder water. There was one woman that swam for 15 minutes in Antarctica and I could easily see them swimming in cold water that would kill any human just by having thicker skin and better regulation of blood flow. You can even have a bit of a heat exchange where the vessels going into the extremity or skin get cooled by the blood leaving. Controlling that to a fine degree is probably the most important aspect of being cold adapted. They need to balance working efficiency while using the least calories possible. We seem to be more adapted to cooling ourselves than conserving heat but we can still handle a lot of cold. It is just not something that many people want to experience. That is the classic way they torture the Navy SEAL recruits by exposing them to cold.

I still have a problem with them living in very cold areas but there is a great deal of room for them to be especially well cold adapted and it mostly just remains an area that I consider an unknown.

Allot of the old legends tell of a winter sleep cycle like the bear. I think they may become less active, conserving energy, but there are many accounts of people encountering them in winter. It is likely that put on weight in late summer and fall in order to build up a thicker subcutaneous layer of fat, and that their hair may thicken as well.

Edited by Tautriadelta

Admin

So how does BF withstand sub-zero temps in a northern winter?

BF doesn't have to withstand the winter because he doesn't exist, IMO. This is one of the top 10 reasons in my list of why it doesn't.

Edited by gigantor

SSR Team

BF doesn't have to withstand the winter because he doesn't exist, IMO. This is one of the top 10 reasons in my list of why it doesn't.

If an Animal not being able to survive a Northern US/Canadian Winter is one of your reasons why you don't think BF exists, no wonder why you're so way off the mark G..;)

The accounts of Zana describe her as being extremely well adapted the very cold temperatures. So much so that she could not even stand being in clothes or in a normal room. I guess they just run hot. That would probably account for the smell also. That hot, sweaty hair has to produce some extreme funk.

Guest RedRatSnake

Hi

I figure they pretty much do the same as most of the folks around my way do, right around September / October there is a mass exodus of Cadillac's with blue haired women and old guys wearing golf caps heading to the south to escape the cold.

Seems to me that Bigfoot's just do the same, they head on to the south to turn into Swamp Ape's for the Winter ~

Tim :)

It's probably a combination of a lot of things:

1.There was a forum member on here, Sonny, that posted some interesting things about the Sherpa and how well adapted they were to the cold so I figure it probably has something to do with that.

2. There is also a type of circulation that is similar to how radiators work where the cold blood running back to the heart via veins lies next to the arteries with the warm blood forming a type of cross current heat exchange keeping the tissues from freezing.

3. Oils on the skin and a nice layer of subcutaneous fat overlaying the muscle would do it.

4. My other theory is that they have something in their blood similar to anti-freeze that keeps their tissues from getting frost bitten.

The need for anti-freeze in an animals blood to keep it from freezing, such as was originally discovered in antarctic fish and a few other animals would be irrelevant in a warm blooded animal since they need to keep there systems well above that point. The idea of a counter circulating system of blood between their cores and their limbs, similar to what some cold adapted animals such as northern wolves and some dogs have is an intriguing idea as that could be a kind of adaptation that we know exists in warm blooded animals that live in cold climates.

Migration:

The tracks I saw that I think could possibly have been made by a Squatch were in very deep snow in the middle of winter. I live 30 miles south of British Columbia and winters can be very harsh here, so although it may be possible they migrate this one seemed to be late in doing so. In elk behavior the snow pushes the cows and calves out first and the big bulls will hang in the high mountain parks for as long as possible. It's possible that a large male Squatch could have similar tendencies for whatever the reason.....maybe he likes to eat really big elk? Also the Bossburg tracks were found in winter in my area, but that individual appeared to be crippled, which may have inhibited it's ability to travel long distances.

Hibernation:

Not likely, as discussed above, activity seems fairly brisk even during winter.

Wearing of animal furs:

Extremely unlikely in my book. Skinning animals and making clothes requires tool use, tool use is a trait of Homo. Homo Sapiens have knocked off all other Homo lines by way of direct or indirect competition. Therefore the Squatch family must fill a different niche in the environment than Homo and is not of the Homo lineage. Just my .02 cents.

Shelter:

I see no reason why not. Animals find natural shelter and apes will actually construct nests. A Squatch could utilize caves, mine shafts, old buildings or even abandoned cars. Or even something as simple as a fallen log or a dense stand of saplings.

Thoughts on winter survival:

Bears hibernate and Birds fly south, ungulates drop to lower elevations to dig for food easier (except woodland Caribou) and predators follow them. If Deer, Elk, Moose, Coyotes, Cougars and Wolves can all make a living in winter, I see no reason why a Squatch cannot. For obvious reasons winter is actually EASIER for predators than summer months. Ungulates are not as fleet of foot in snow and some of them simply starve out........making an easy meal for the carrion eater who happens to pass by, no chase/fight required.

Also an option for coastal Squatch is to simply focus on what the sea provides. Pac NW coastal areas do not receive nearly as much snow as interior areas do. Not sure what Rocky mountain Squatch do, it would be interesting to sit down and study what science would consider a "fee sable" migration distance for such a species.

Or maybe they follow our grand parents and become snow birds and all travel to Arizona for the winter? Leaving only a few stragglers behind to give folks something to talk about? :)

Admin

Norseman, I agree that BF hibernating or wearing animal furs, etc is highly unlikely.

I think the question is how do they keep from getting frost bite, they supposedly walk around bare foot. What about their hands? how do they protect them against the cold? what about their face?

Remember, there are members claiming that BF is human (or almost human). They can't have it both ways. If human, the physiology has to be very close to ours...

Edited by gigantor

I think the question is how do they keep from getting frost bite, they supposedly walk around bare foot. What about their hands? how do they protect them against the cold? what about their face?

Even humans can become adapted to the cold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaghan_people

2627365954_def580a257.jpg

If the Yaghans had as much body hair as a Squatch? They could have sailed their canoes south and settled in Antarctica... :)