My Research Vehicle

SasquatchPA

Admin

Very practical, I like it.

16 hours ago, SasquatchPA said:

Getting to a point where I am happy with my field truck. I built a bunk in the back and added:

1 200 watts of Solar

2 Diesel heater with the exhaust routed through the bed and a CO sensor

3 Removable Propane shower unit

4 Roof rack

5 Side lighting

6 Interior Fan

I am running deep cycle batteries and will eventually switch to lithium.

Was able to do a shake down run this past weekend and all went well with it.

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1941.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1924.jpeg

IMG_1937.jpeg

This is awesome!  Well done 

Congrats on a creative design and well-thought-out features in your sasquatch vehicle. Keep us posted about adventures in your research vehicle as we all learn from this.

9 hours ago, gigantor said:

Very practical, I like it.

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Congrats on a creative design and well-thought-out features in your sasquatch vehicle. Keep us posted about adventures in your research vehicle as we all learn from this.

Thanks guys. I have a 2,500 Watt power inverter ordered and will installed it this week. 

Nice touch with the un-tinted canopy windows. The Sasquatch will have an unfiltered view while they check on you during your sleeping time.

What are the 3 light colored tubes on the right side of the roof rack?

Do you operate audio and video equipment from inside the canopy?

On 8/26/2023 at 10:26 PM, Catmandoo said:

Nice touch with the un-tinted canopy windows. The Sasquatch will have an unfiltered view while they check on you during your sleeping time.

An unfiltered view would allow you to create a fake person sleeping in your research vehicle, akin to the Anglin brothers, and use sound equipment to produce loud snoring. Lure it in while you are nearby, motionless and silent, in a ghillie suit, ready to observe and maybe even record everything on a thermal imager.

Opportunities are endless with your vehicle.

On 8/26/2023 at 10:26 PM, Catmandoo said:

That is actually only one pipe. The picture has some shadows that make it look like three of them. I use that Galvanized pipe to attach a tarp for a awning if need be.

IMG_1908.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice rig! Here is mine. My son built it for me. We got a award at the IOX event in Bonners Ferry this spring!

IMG_7115.jpeg

IMG_7114.jpeg

IMG_6605.jpeg

IMG_6594.jpeg

IMG_6563.jpeg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, norseman said:

Nice rig! Here is mine. My son built it for me. We got a award at the IOX event in Bonners Ferry this spring!

IMG_7115.jpeg

IMG_7114.jpeg

IMG_6605.jpeg

IMG_6594.jpeg

IMG_6563.jpeg

Looks fantastic! 

• Thanks 1

Nice rig, nice set-up. The diesel fired heaters are a thing of beauty on a cold morning. I installed an Espar Airtronic D2, love it. 

Looks as if you're equipped to cook inside during wet weather but for those tailgate cookers, this is a good go-to at a great closeout price: https://www.rei.com/product/193121/rei-co-op-trailgate-vehicle-shelter

ETA: great old Coleman folding table too!

Edited by Kiwakwe

I understand why someone would use a tent specifically designed to be attached to the back of their vehicle. It would allow you to move between the tent and the opened back of the vehicle to access things while being protected from the elements. I also understand with a customed-designed vehicle, like Norse's above, the benefit of having a tent system integrated into the roof of the vehicle. It expands the use of a space already incorporated into the vehicle's design.

What I'm failing to understand is the benefit of dropping $4,000 for a tent that mounts to the roof rack on a car and is accessed by a ladder. The tent would get you 4'-5' off the ground at most.  Does someone think that being perched atop the car will provide any real security? I suppose it would from venomous snakes but I bet a bear could easily shred it to pieces. Also, it would not allow one to leave the tent quickly to escape an intruder in the parking area.

What am I missing...why would someone put a tent on top of their car especially one that costs a pretty penny?

https://www.rei.com/c/camping-tents?avad=293389_f32eb8179&ir=category%3Acamping-tents&r=c%3Bdesign-type%3AVehicle

12 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Nice rig, nice set-up. The diesel fired heaters are a thing of beauty on a cold morning. I installed an Espar Airtronic D2, love it. 

Looks as if you're equipped to cook inside during wet weather but for those tailgate cookers, this is a good go-to at a great closeout price: https://www.rei.com/product/193121/rei-co-op-trailgate-vehicle-shelter

ETA: great old Coleman folding table too!

Thank you I will check out the shelter.