My Research Vehicle

SasquatchPA

5 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I understand why someone would use a tent specifically designed to be attached to the back of their vehicle. It would allow you to move between the tent and the opened back of the vehicle to access things while being protected from the elements. I also understand with a customed-designed vehicle, like Norse's above, the benefit of having a tent system integrated into the roof of the vehicle. It expands the use of a space already incorporated into the vehicle's design.

What I'm failing to understand is the benefit of dropping $4,000 for a tent that mounts to the roof rack on a car and is accessed by a ladder. The tent would get you 4'-5' off the ground at most.  Does someone think that being perched atop the car will provide any real security? I suppose it would from venomous snakes but I bet a bear could easily shred it to pieces. Also, it would not allow one to leave the tent quickly to escape an intruder in the parking area.

What am I missing...why would someone put a tent on top of their car especially one that costs a pretty penny?

https://www.rei.com/c/camping-tents?avad=293389_f32eb8179&ir=category%3Acamping-tents&r=c%3Bdesign-type%3AVehicle

I have friends that use them on their Jeeps. They use them when they are Overlanding. They tell me they really shine when you don't have room to set up a shelter beside the vehicle.

7 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I understand why someone would use a tent specifically designed to be attached to the back of their vehicle. It would allow you to move between the tent and the opened back of the vehicle to access things while being protected from the elements. I also understand with a customed-designed vehicle, like Norse's above, the benefit of having a tent system integrated into the roof of the vehicle. It expands the use of a space already incorporated into the vehicle's design.

What I'm failing to understand is the benefit of dropping $4,000 for a tent that mounts to the roof rack on a car and is accessed by a ladder. The tent would get you 4'-5' off the ground at most.  Does someone think that being perched atop the car will provide any real security? I suppose it would from venomous snakes but I bet a bear could easily shred it to pieces. Also, it would not allow one to leave the tent quickly to escape an intruder in the parking area.

What am I missing...why would someone put a tent on top of their car especially one that costs a pretty penny?

https://www.rei.com/c/camping-tents?avad=293389_f32eb8179&ir=category%3Acamping-tents&r=c%3Bdesign-type%3AVehicle

They make sense for where they originated-safari country, Africa, one could drive nearly anywhere, your vehicle is your camp. Similar situations can be had in desert country through the BLM road circuit.  I've almost gone rooftop tent a few times, a 3" mattress starts looking appealing with age, the easy deployment, level the truck with rocks and you've a nice platform, yada yada. I could never get one to make enough sense to justify the cost and the needed space to deploy on vehicle and dry them out after a rain etc.

In the Southwestern part of the US, in some areas, it seems every 3rd vehicle has a budget Tepui on the rack as a year-round accessory. I once owned a Land Rover Discovery with a full length Brownchurch rack that was sized perfectly to fit my Marmot Limelight on a stowable platform I rigged. It was great for cruising the old logging roads up N which were often made from jagged shale and nothing I'd be comfortable setting a tent up on. Used that strategy (to no success but not enough trial either!) of camping where no one would in hopes of a surprise run-in.

"Air Camping", aka roof top tents originated in Europe. The hard top boxy RTT's of today look similar to the original units, hard top, fabric sides. They used a hand crank method to activate scissor lift bars to raise the roof.  RTT's are popular all over the world.  Many are over rated and over priced. Buyer beware. A cursory scan of advertising images show happy happy people, no wind and dry conditions. Depending on your latitude, the condensation inside  of the tent is a nightmare. The rain fly's are worthless. One must make changes to deal with the negatives. No way to deal with the reduction in gas mileage. My set up takes time to erect.

I made a huge rainfly, extends about 30" out from all sides of the tent. Some stock rain fly's bag up water so you have to spill the water before entering and leaving the tent. My optional extra aluminum poles create a pseudo gambrel roof shape and directs the water away.

Why all the fuss? I am not sleeping on the ground. For car camping with a RTT, my food is secure and not where I sleep. New rules for bear safe food storage containers are in effect and inside your locked, sealed vehicle is good. Electronics are not exposed to weather while in your tent. When opened, my tent is 50% on the vehicle, 50% overhangs in air with weight taken by the ladder. With or without the optional annex, you have a pooping station and shower station under the overhang.

I bought my current tent as used, under $1,000.  It has 2 doors. So good that when Thule bought Tepui, 1 door was eliminated. Currently, the model that I have is discontinued.

With the door height well above ground, a door flap lift maneuver is easy for Sasquatch. The unoccupied tent ploy works the curiosity angle. A remote controlled camera in a RTT is at a good height for panning, tilt up and down. Setting up a camera with a CamRanger unit for remote control and walking away to do the 'human walking away from the campsite' ploy has potential.

The tents of humans have all kinds of electronic noises. 

RTT's are not for everyone. There is a lot of extra work to put into them.

Very cool truck, SasquatchPA!  I miss my topper almost every day.  I used to camp in it sometimes, beats the hell out of pitching a tent.

I gotta ask: what kind of guitar is that?  I have an old (entry level) Silvertone with a similar design.  That guitar had a great tone before it ‘broke itself’. lol  :guitar:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 8:18 PM, xspider1 said:

Very cool truck, SasquatchPA!  I miss my topper almost every day.  I used to camp in it sometimes, beats the hell out of pitching a tent.

I gotta ask: what kind of guitar is that?  I have an old (entry level) Silvertone with a similar design.  That guitar had a great tone before it ‘broke itself’. lol  :guitar:

Grabbed a fiberglass topper for my truck for the purpose of camping.   1st Gen Ram with a Cummins and 5 speed.  Very little to go wrong out in the woods.   I toss a mattress in the back and with the 8’ bed I can fit plenty in it.   Great setup.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Twist said:

Grabbed a fiberglass topper for my truck for the purpose of camping.   1st Gen Ram with a Cummins and 5 speed.  Very little to go wrong out in the woods.   I toss a mattress in the back and with the 8’ bed I can fit plenty in it.   Great setup.  

The 8ft bed is to me way better than a short bed. 

On 8/31/2023 at 8:18 PM, xspider1 said:

I somehow missed this question. It is a 1916 Gibson L1. It is extremely resonant and lightweight. I had to do some minor repairs to it such as stabilizing a few side cracks. Here is a closer picture of it with my 1913 Gibson A Style Mandolin 

IMG_1770.jpeg

IMG_2031.jpeg

Edited by SasquatchPA
Added pictures
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Twist said:

........1st Gen Ram with a Cummins and 5 speed.  Very little to go wrong out in the woods..........

Pre-1991? The truck I sunk through the ice was an '89. Great rig.

On 9/12/2023 at 10:35 AM, Huntster said:

Pre-1991? The truck I sunk through the ice was an '89. Great rig.

93’ Last year of the first Gens.  

IMG_0273.jpeg

• Upvote 2