The Sasquatch vs. Government

hiflier

9 hours ago, Huntster said:

The recreational status applies to bigfooters, not Bigfoots. This activity allows citizens to look for the creatures, and actually indicates the department’s semi-acceptance of existence.

Agreed, recreational status is assigned to humans.  I don't think that they have 'semi-acceptance of existence'. Hunting, fishing, birding, geocaching, orienteering, mineral prospecting etc are recreational activities. Snipe hunting conducted by adults is also recreation. No license needed, maybe parking permit and no bag limit.

The only recreation that Sasquatch have that comes to mind is scaring humans.

A huge hurdle is the lack of Linnean Taxonomy for Sasquatch at this point in time. I don't think that 'unclassified biped' will fly.

hiflier, I could not open the JPG of the email that you posted. The message was 'unavailable'. You might be on the bad boy list.

Now, I will preach to the choir. Lose the 'Bigfoot' term if you are proceeding with nasty grams to Federal people.

The term 'Bigfoot' is a journalistic word that evolved from the Ray Wallace hoaxing of 1958. The media swallowed the stomper tracks and the term stuck. 'Bigfoot' is from California.

I don't know the term that the indigenous groups of Maine use.

Please use Sasquatch. 'Sasquatch' is from S.W. British Columbia. It is from the Salish language. 'Sasquits' or Sasq' ets. Europeans anglicized the word to 'Sasquatch'.

Small steps.

Edited by Catmandoo
text
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

........Snipe hunting conducted by adults is also recreation. No license needed, maybe parking permit and no bag limit........

Perfect example. Snipe hunting is a real thing, and a heck of a challenge. That's how it became a prank. But snipe are real, incredibly secretive, and incredibly hard to hunt. But if you are lucky enough to actually jump one and hit it on the fly, you'd better have a license........

22 minutes ago, Huntster said:

......and it also screams of internal discussion on how to officially treat the issue.

That I could tell just by reading the message when it first came in. The first sentence is posturing to get one thinking good thoughts. And that takes the weight of the recreational comment which follows. And then the piece de resistance, which actually tells me they are driving home the non-existence point: No efforts to put it on the endangered species list. Which again implies non-existence without actually saying it. But taken as a whole ALL the individual comments point one to non-existence, without the overt admission of non-existence. But on the flip side, there's zero that implies that it DOES exist. Everything said is weighted toward the creature being a belief rather than flesh and blood.

Suggestions for progressing from here?

^ Very interesting discussion.

Not harping on this, but one more UFO reference:  Didn’t the latest official comment after ‘re-opening’ the ‘UAP’ files (I love how somebody changed the acronym ;)) say something like:

‘having looked at the evidence, we cannot say that any UAP is proven to be extraterrestrial ??

I think I understand the end-game of this topic: get the Scientists that we pay to look into it!  It is an admirable endeavor.  

Still, with politics being as devisive as it is, I think there will need to be (almost) definitive proof of Sasquatch :thumbsup: before there will be any coalition strong enough to force action.

Edited by xspider1

36 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

I don't know the term that the indigenous groups of Maine use.

Wendigo. In its original meaning. And my inquiry was phrased "...commonly referred to as Bigfoot or Sasquatch...." I did it for familiarity to eliminate any chance of confusion. As you can see, it's the term USFW uses, probably to reduce the creatures status and respect?

41 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

hiflier, I could not open the JPG of the email that you posted. The message was 'unavailable'. You might be on the bad boy list.

Who me? ;) Nah, I occasionally take down my Forum attachments so it must have went the way of the rest. Here ya go:

USFW.JPG.1a77019ca244fdbd3c1bf17c1ab42d83.JPG

27 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

I think I understand the end-game of this topic: get the Scientists that we pay to look into it!  It is an admirable endeavor.  

Still, with politics being as devisive as it is, I think there will need to (almost) definitive proof of Sasquatch :rolleyes: before there will be a Govm’t coalition strong enough to force action.

Perhaps in the long game yes. But the shorter goal might be to get to the bottom of why and how the USFW has what appears to be an official position on the creature's status as that of being recreational. I would be very interested to fully know what is behind that and how it came to be categorize as such. Is it because they DID look into it and found nothing? It would be worth knowing that, but actual litigation maybe the only way to know. Unless I can hopefully get a response from my own last reply? Then maybe I can ask. IMO there can be only one answer that they will come up with: "Sorry, it just isn't out there." But then why did they end their message with "Best of luck with your research?"

DANG! If I don't feel like Detective Columbo sometimes. Now where could that Bassett Hound have gotten to?

Edited by hiflier

I don't believe the government is involved at any cover up level on anything bigfoot.  There are 3 interesting scenarios I can think of about the concept of bigfoot and government:

1-  What happens in a city, county, state that passes a law about 'you can't kill a bigfoot' if someone actually did kill a bigfoot?

2-  What happens in a city, county state if there was no law on the books and someone killed one?

3-  What happens if someone believed fanatically bigfoot exists and shot one only to find out it was a case of mistaken identity (hoaxers, practical jokers and so on)?

In these scenarios I wonder how the government would react?  Would a DA prosecute?   Would a DNR guy take the animal for having no tag?  Would the law fine the person for killing a bigfoot since the law in that state said you cannot?  Again, I 100% don't believe the government is involved in Bigfoot to the extent it has one or has proof of one. I don't believe the government is making bigfoot in some scientific experiment and I don't believe they are visitors from another planet or dimension.   If that is all true and if bigfoot exists, those 1sts two scenarios might happen at some point.  The 3rd one sadly could happen any day now.   

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, xspider1 said:

......I think I understand the end-game of this topic: get the Scientists that we pay to look into it!  It is an admirable endeavor.........

Actually, that's the simple part. You pay them. Government has been wagging the Science dog every major war, and in the interim since WWII. The key is getting Congress to appropriate money, and that ain't happening in the sasquatch world. It is in the UFO world because the military is pulling tic tacs from their hats and getting peoples imaginations going.........and the tic tacs are the products of their own dark money programs!

Follow the money. If there is no money to follow, there is no progress.

11 hours ago, hiflier said:

.........But the shorter goal might be to get to the bottom of why and how the USFW has what appears to be an official position on the creature's status as that of being recreational. I would be very interested to fully know what is behind that and how it came to be categorize as such.........

It might have begun right here on BFF 1.0. Years ago there was skeptic named Saskeptic (who later joined and participated on the James Randi Foundation forum as Shrike, which later became the International Skeptic Forum) who claimed to be an ornithologist and university professor. He and I would get into lively debates. Of course, one of my beloved positions is that government has a responsibility to put some effort and investment into determining if sasquatches exist, and I posted my suspicions regarding government behavior regarding the phenomenon, especially the PG event. We debated that often.

Lo and behold, he opened a thread regarding government responsibility and said that he held a symposium of some kind with government wildlife management personnel at some sort of conference. I can't seem to find the thread now. Maybe that's because it was BFF 1.0.

Now, I'm not saying that his symposium changed USFW policy, but I'm pretty convinced that the internet, and BFF in particular,  was a wake up call for government to coordinate their responses and develop boilerplate BS for inquisitive bigfoot hunters. 

Loose lips sink ships..........

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Backdoc said:

I don't believe the government is involved at any cover up level on anything bigfoot.  There are 3 interesting scenarios I can think of about the concept of bigfoot and government:

1-  What happens in a city, county, state that passes a law about 'you can't kill a bigfoot' if someone actually did kill a bigfoot?

2-  What happens in a city, county state if there was no law on the books and someone killed one?

3-  What happens if someone believed fanatically bigfoot exists and shot one only to find out it was a case of mistaken identity (hoaxers, practical jokers and so on)?

In these scenarios I wonder how the government would react?  Would a DA prosecute?   Would a DNR guy take the animal for having no tag?  Would the law fine the person for killing a bigfoot since the law in that state said you cannot?  Again, I 100% don't believe the government is involved in Bigfoot to the extent it has one or has proof of one. I don't believe the government is making bigfoot in some scientific experiment and I don't believe they are visitors from another planet or dimension.   If that is all true and if bigfoot exists, those 1sts two scenarios might happen at some point.  The 3rd one sadly could happen any day now.   

It's a pretty tall order to get me to believe that sasquatches exist and government doesn't know about it. Just Ft. Lewis alone and all the interactions between soldiers and sasquatches over the past century not being investigated by the Army cannot mesh. 

If sasquatches exist, the U.S. government knows it.

So why not just admit it? I have my theories........

14 hours ago, hiflier said:

DANG! If I don't feel like Detective Columbo sometimes. Now where could that Bassett Hound have gotten to?

What was the dog's name?

Yes, if the govt has a position then they could and should explain how it was arrived at.  However when it comes to the govt I’ve long believed in the adage not to ascribe to malice that which can be explained by ignorance.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Chim Chim said:

………when it comes to the govt I’ve long believed in the adage not to ascribe to malice that which can be explained by ignorance.

Remember that the root of the word “ignorance” is “ignore”, not “stupid”……..

4 hours ago, Huntster said:

It might have begun right here on BFF 1.0. Years ago there was skeptic named Saskeptic (who later joined and participated on the James Randi Foundation forum as Shrike, which later became the International Skeptic Forum) who claimed to be an ornithologist and university professor. He and I would get into lively debates. Of course, one of my beloved positions is that government has a responsibility to put some effort and investment into determining if sasquatches exist, and I posted my suspicions regarding government behavior regarding the phenomenon, especially the PG event. We debated that often.

Lo and behold, he opened a thread regarding government responsibility and said that he held a symposium of some kind with government wildlife management personnel at some sort of conference. I can't seem to find the thread now. Maybe that's because it was BFF 1.0.

Now, I'm not saying that his symposium changed USFW policy, but I'm pretty convinced that the internet, and BFF in particular,  was a wake up call for government to coordinate their responses and develop boilerplate BS for inquisitive bigfoot hunters. 

Loose lips sink ships..........

After the whole official UFO story dropped? Things must have gotten kinda weird over there for the ole JREFers……poor buggers.

Lots of screaming and wailing and then……

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, norseman said:

After the whole official UFO story dropped? Things must have gotten kinda weird over there for the ole JREFers……poor buggers.

Lots of screaming and wailing……

Yeah, it’s probably very entertaining over there right now on their extraterrestrial sub-forum!

• Haha 1