New species of anteater found

norseman

Fascinating!  So we have a newly recognized species of Pangolin, a large animal, classified using only confiscated scales!  Makes you wonder what else is out there.

When they finally clone a Thylacine, I might adopt one, just not sure yet.. :biggrin:

10 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

This also brings up another interesting question, norseman.  You have said for years that Scientific classification of Sasquatch will require a type (or, Male and Female) Specimen(s).  Doesn’t the recent classification of Manis Mysteria contradict that requirement?

https://phys.org/news/2023-09-scientists-uncover-scaly-pangolin-species.amp

I don’t think so, your article says they “tentatively” named it, and that more research is required. I am sure that more research will include type specimens. Maybe if the creature is easy to trap and the species is critically endangered? They may just capture a male and female, let them live out their lives in captivity and then when they die they become the type specimens for the species. That’s what Dr. Mayor did with the Lemurs she discovered in Madagascar.

https://museum.wa.gov.au/explore/blogs/museumcollections/what-type-specimen

What I find fascinating is that a large mammal is being discovered in China, the most populated country on Earth! 

That entire video is fascinating!  Titanosaurs seemed to get pretty big, right?  :biggrin:   Funny that their bones were discovered, in some cases, 252 million years later.  Skepticism of large species (extinct and extant) remaining to be discovered should be checked every time a new species is classified and when our understanding of the World around Us is advanced.  I don't think that many people (me included) can imagine how deep the rabbit hole really is.

image.jpeg.e880e3f94c0594443239a04d2408f89c.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

With any luck this new Pangolin isn't already extinct. They don't reproduce quickly or with large litter, but rather 1-3 babies at a time. And the rate of their collection for the Chinese traditional medicine market is simply obscene.

There is a popular belief on this forum that if there aren't. male and female specimens collected, they can't be taxonomically recognized. Have such specimens been collected and cataloged?

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2023 at 2:51 PM, Huntster said:

There is a popular belief on this forum that if there aren't. male and female specimens collected, they can't be taxonomically recognized. Have such specimens been collected and cataloged?

https://www.zoology.ubc.ca/entomology/type/#:~:text=The Importance of Type Specimens&text=Then%2C a single specimen (or,opposite sex is the allotype.

Its not a belief. They are known as a holotype and a allotype.