Fatal bear attack on experienced hikers in Banff backcountry was likely 'predatory'

Explorer

The use of that term indicates it wanted to eat them, otherwise it could be a territorial or even protective attack if they have cubs around.  The way I’ve always heard it if they’re busting into your tent they’re hungry and fight them for all you’re worth because their goal is to kill and eat you.  If they jump you on a trail it could be territorial and if you play dead they may tear you up some and leave you alone.  And if you see a cub, get away as fast as you can.

I was backpacking in the Bighorns in northern WY years ago and something big brushed my tent in the middle of the night.  Talk about waking up wide awake, I grabbed my M1911 next to my pillow quick as a cat and got ready to empty the magazine out.  I had it loaded with the safety off which is the proper way to keep it ‘at the ready’ since they have a grip safety.  Anyway much to my relief after a few seconds I heard it walking off.  I waited about 10 minutes and jumped out of my tent flashlight in one hand and pistol in the other and checked the perimeter to make sure nothing was there waiting for another try before I got back in my bag.  Looked all over for tracks in the morning but never found anything, dry rocky ground.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

Fatal bear attack was "predatory"?? In other news, water is wet.

Sometimes water isn't wet.......like when it's ice and in -60 degree temps.

And sometimes bears attack not to eat one, but to defend its food cache or cubs, or when surprised. The authorities believe that this bear wanted to eat either the people or dog, or both.

I suppose that a predatory attack is worse because the bear definitely intends to kill you instead of just whipping your butt, but it seems rather moot if it tears your face off during a standard butt whooping.

12 minutes ago, RedHawk454 said:

its not.  the guy survived and had facial reconstructive surgery.

I'm not convinced that the photo is Wes Perkins. Might be.

49 minutes ago, Chim Chim said:

.......I was backpacking in the Bighorns in northern WY years ago and something big brushed my tent in the middle of the night.  Talk about waking up wide awake.........

Yup. That right there can age a guy in seconds.

1 hour ago, Chim Chim said:

The use of that term indicates it wanted to eat them, otherwise it could be a territorial or even protective attack if they have cubs around.  The way I’ve always heard it if they’re busting into your tent they’re hungry and fight them for all you’re worth because their goal is to kill and eat you.  If they jump you on a trail it could be territorial and if you play dead they may tear you up some and leave you alone.  And if you see a cub, get away as fast as you can.

I was backpacking in the Bighorns in northern WY years ago and something big brushed my tent in the middle of the night.  Talk about waking up wide awake, I grabbed my M1911 next to my pillow quick as a cat and got ready to empty the magazine out.  I had it loaded with the safety off which is the proper way to keep it ‘at the ready’ since they have a grip safety.  Anyway much to my relief after a few seconds I heard it walking off.  I waited about 10 minutes and jumped out of my tent flashlight in one hand and pistol in the other and checked the perimeter to make sure nothing was there waiting for another try before I got back in my bag.  Looked all over for tracks in the morning but never found anything, dry rocky ground.

Definitely Bigfoot…..

3 hours ago, Huntster said:

I’d rather Bigfoot than bear.

I guess getting your neck twisted off would be quicker…

• Haha 2

I don’t know, I wouldn’t rule it out.  I saw some black bear there but none that day.  And I always cooked/ate/hung my food at least 100 yards from my tent so you’d think bears would beeline there instead of my tent if they came in.  Overall I was satisfied with the way it worked out, I walked away.

9 hours ago, norseman said:

I guess getting your neck twisted off would be quicker…

I just think it would be more of an honor to be killed by a sasquatch than a bear. As an Alaskan, getting killed by a bear is like being run over by a Checker cab on Manhattan for a New Yorker. 

14 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

For heaven's sake, do apply the safety to a Condition One (cocked and locked) 1911.

That’s an old debate in M1911 circles, just what did John Browning intend.  And there’s even some holsters designed to hold it cocked with the thumb safety off with the idea that if you pull it out you’re shooting.  But since I was alone and figured I’d need it quick if I did seemed reasonable to me.  I’d never do that with others around though.

34 minutes ago, Chim Chim said:

I don’t know, I wouldn’t rule it out.  I saw some black bear there but none that day.  And I always cooked/ate/hung my food at least 100 yards from my tent so you’d think bears would beeline there instead of my tent if they came in........

As a bear baiter, I was taught by ADFG that black bears are much more attracted by sweets than meat, and brown bears are opposite. If you ate a dessert before bed,  black bear might have come close for a sniff.

I think sasquatches might come close to humans at night attracted more for sexual reasons than food.