How To Make Trail Cams Work For You

Bag a couple deer/elk/pronghorn or whatever and gut them and mount them on a rack at your "hunting campsite" while someone "deals with tent gear" <<sets up camera(s). Then have everyone leave in a hurry with camera(s) aimed at fresh kills and see if the wood folk leave the kills alone because of the cameras.

That's how I'd take a shot at it if I could.

I would strongly suggest a bit of misdirection (or at least not playing to the obvious).

You'd have to custom make this sort of setup I'm sure, but instead of regular trail cams set up to capture images right in front of them, I'd rig up a good camera with a long/telephoto lens and put it up HIGH (15' or more) in a spot with a clear line of sight to your selected target area and at least 75-100 feet away (thus not where one would expect it to be). Put it on a timer instead of using a motion sensor or something (which might give the game away).

The downside is lighting. Such a setup would work best in daylight hours. but high speed/lowlight film might still work on nights that aren't pitch dark.

There is a way that these camera traps might work,I have yet to try this idea to see if it will wwork.My idea is to place a trail camera that flashes when triggered on one tree and on the oppisite side place a no flash camera.The idea is to distract the creatures with the flashing whil the infred camera is taking the actual picture.you need to trianglulate the camera's to make this work.

Might have to use the same idea as these creatures when they distract one with making a noise so that the other creature can escape.Not sure if this has been tried but I am more then willing to try it once i get a good I.R camera.

Edited by julio126

Guest uprightchimp

5 will get ya ten that if you go into an area that bigfoot has been seen before a lot & you try to put up ANY kind of cam setup, you'll be seen by bigfoot & never even know it @ the time-this is what people keep on forgetting, is that in any given area like this you need to ALWAYS assume that there IS a bigfoot somewhere in the vicinity, only as it has been pointed out repeatedly in here is that bigfoot can & will hear & see you from quite a distance (smell probabaly too no dought) & youll never ever really know it, UNTILL they make their presence known to you & by THAT time, they know just what you are doing.

It sounds like a good plan if it can be put up with out being seen by them. If the cameras are put in their territory, that will be almost impossible to do. They know almost everything that is going on at all times.

Sas, I've been thinking about this issue.

What if campers were just camping there, and while being busy off some place, another camper stayed behind and put up the cameras?

Distract them by splitting up, and having one person quickly mount the ready to be mounted cameras?

Or have different groups doing different stuff while cameras were being mounted. These creatures may be smart, but they can't be as smart as humans.

Plot and plan to distract them, then place the cameras covered with forest type smells and leaves, vines,flowers, and such.Use gloves rubbed with leaves to mask the human odor and the glove smell.It's worth a try...

I too have seen this via accident and experimenting with IR... I have come to my conclusion that BF can and does see into the IR range... I think the problem lies in the waiting period where the BF is observing his/her territory they start seeing the trigger of the flash as a huge white blast of light going off at night... They go investigate in high stealth mode and witness the location of the flash which probable hurts their eyes just like a flash at night for humans... They then avoid the area and no pictures... Now with that said there are always exceptions to the rule, the Jacobs photo or OP photo are examples... Now this is where the pictures get so tore up by die hard skeptics nothing can be determined or even theorized without huge arguments...

I wish all good luck in their endeavors, and hope you too can be the exception to the rule...

TR, I'm sincerely sorry that the die hard skeptics have destroyed your photo evidence. Truly,If you presented a body to them, they would claim it's a deformed gorilla and not a Sass.

Let your evidence stand for what it truly is, genuine pictures of BF and ignore the skeptics. You know the truth, but they will never be able to see the truth. Listen to people who are constructive, not *destructive*.

I'm truly sorry that your hard work and monetary expenditures are ignored, mistreated and abused by others who are arm chair quarterbacks. That's just not right.

JDL said:

It might be fun to put one in an ice chest, or something else they might be tempted to open.

Susi asks:

Could the container be left (like accidentally) open with some meat sitting inside and when the BF reached in and broke the IR ray a picture could be taken of a surprised BF?

Do they open ice chests? Could cameras in the trees catch the BF investigating the ice chest?

I think you have a great idea JDL..

What I hope to do when the Reconyx arrives is to set it up INSIDE the cabin up north, on time lapse. There is a power pole near the stump where we had treats taken. But it is likely to be seen, even up high. Cant believe we would be watched every second while we are there. Will let you know how it goes. Another thing is I want to leave camera in the cabin after we leave, for 3 months or so. If I could program the hi end Reconyx to shoot only at night, every few seconds, to see what goes bump...

Will your battery last that long? Can it take numerous pictures?

I think you have a marvelous idea, and that you could get some great shots.

Will the camera angle be able to cover a fairly large area?

Is there a danger of your camera being stolen by passers-by who see your cabin and investigate?

If you have known activity, then you could get some great pictures!

Be sure to keep us informed, please..

Bag a couple deer/elk/pronghorn or whatever and gut them and mount them on a rack at your "hunting campsite" while someone "deals with tent gear" <<sets up camera(s). Then have everyone leave in a hurry with camera(s) aimed at fresh kills and see if the wood folk leave the kills alone because of the cameras.

That's how I'd take a shot at it if I could.

That sounds like a great idea to me.You could get some great shots of all sorts of wildlife investigating, and hopefully the biggest guy of them all investigating..

Edited by SweetSusiq

All I can surmise is if others saw the various BF KC does in his photographs, he would probably have been more forthcoming with an answer.

Are those pictures posted where we could see them? I can understand your reasoning Incorr if pictures are talked about but not shown.

However, I also understand how difficult it must be to believe that you have possibly captured a BF picture yet no one else sees it.

Hope springs eternal when it comes to BF pictures. They are a rather rare event.

In the Echo Incident Thread I mentioned Taking the Camera Out of the Box and Hiding the Camera in a Cone shape then camouflaging it in a Knot/Burr

11423d1257702152t-hard-maple-burl-maple-tree-knot.jpg

But the the Option of hiding it inside a Standard Camping equipment that is familiar to Bigfoot as "safe" and not going to Flash in their eyes. With the Current Technology we don't have to Always put camera's into Boxes, that restraint was removed when we developed Non-Film Photographic Technology. Lipstick Camera's, Micro Spy-cameras etc all allow potential.

Items which open themselves to it are Lanterns, Esky's, Tents, Camp-Chairs, Beercans, a Blanket Thrown over a "clothesline"... the potential for items to be re-purposed is technically huge. A research group Could "set up Camp", then set off for a "Hike" and generally act like they are a standard Camping group.

Are those pictures posted where we could see them? I can understand your reasoning Incorr if pictures are talked about but not shown.

However, I also understand how difficult it must be to believe that you have possibly captured a BF picture yet no one else sees it.

Hope springs eternal when it comes to BF pictures. They are a rather rare event.

I get where you're coming from Inc1. I don't quite underestand it either But just to be fair take a look at this picture

According to Dr. Jan Ramer who has studied Gorillas in Rwanda since 1985 after befriending Dian Fossey there are at least 7 Gorillas hiding in this picture. Who can find them all? I certainly cannot lol

post-2298-058823500 1320713911_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tautriadelta

BFF Patron

Rwandan kudzu what can I say, need a much better resolution to that picture to even attempt the task though I would like to try. What is the link to the original?

• 3 months later...
Guest operator

has anyone considered the scent trail left by humans. they walk throught the area on the way to set up said trail cameras?i tried to read all the posts but might have missed it.i like to bow hunt and scent is number one enemy when hunting.i did see one comment on wearing gloves but if your clothes/ shoes and everything you touch smells of your scent then it will give off your presents in setting the camera.

Cliff puts them low on a high bank and surounds them with debris, that seems like a good idea as seen in this video.

That's an old sighting from 2007, they talked about on a recent AP FB show. They never could figure out for sure what it was because the proportions were so weird.