Strange Deer Injury

gigantor

Admin

Yeah, from a few years back. The main suspects were a flesh eating virus or a combine. Poor animal was doomed. I read this on a follow up:

Hunters in the area attempted to track down the buck and “put it out of its misery” after this video surfaced, but had no luck. The body (or at least what was left of it) was discovered about a month after this trail camera footage was taken.

Those who found it near a pond believe that it couldn’t have made it a day or more after this video was taken, and assume that it was probably trying to make it to the water for relief. Coyotes cleaned up what was left of him (or might have even finished him off), as only the skull and spine was recovered.

Admin

a combine?

• Like 1

It does look like something shaved a bit to close. I'm not an expert at all, but it's odd not seeing any flies or maggots in the injury.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, gigantor said:

a combine?

A huge piece of farm equipment that cuts and harvests. They can be pretty vicious to wildlife hunkering down in a field.

• Thanks 1

Many a deer has met its demise from the blades of a combine. My cousin used to drive combine and they had people go out in the fields and remove the dead deer and dispatch the wounded ones. Most escape before the combine gets to them, but others just hunker down and get hit.