eDNA yields another “extinct” creature to be alive

Wolfjewel

Researchers found eDNA in sand in South Africa that proved  De Winton Golden Moles still exist. Showed picture of elusive little critter not seen since 1937. It can disappear quickly by “swimming” in the sand and covering itself. So — another confirmation that eDNA can help find lost or unknown creatures. How much sand, or water or soil, has to be tested? I’d like to know parameters of testing, since citizen scientists can find evidence.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/12/03/dewinton-golden-mole-rediscovered-dna/

Link should work. The little fur ball is all over the internet.

eDNA methods were used. A museum had an old DNA sample in storage and the researchers were able to match the eDNA to an existing DNA sample for a positive ID.

'Swims' through sand. I can just see a new variant of the the 'Dune' movie franchise.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

A museum had an old DNA sample in storage and the researchers were able to match the eDNA to an existing DNA sample for a positive ID.

This was the key takeaway for me, and why this will not work as well for our target species.

• Like 1

Even though there is no reference sequence for Bigfoot, eDNA may still yield a sequence with no exact match to any known primate or a close human relationship.  Comparing that DNA to known primates would place it in the phylotree.  eDNA is used all the time to validate new species claims and  position the new species in the phylotree.  However, other evidence, specimens, photographs, or videos are also usually required to gain acceptance for a new species.  Note the case of the lesula monkey as an example: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0044271

Here, however, the DNA was taken directly from a specimen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1