3D imaging of footprints using a Lidar-equipped scanner or smartphone

wiiawiwb

In Expedition Bigfoot, the cast used a Lidar handheld imager on several occasions to record a 3D image of a footprint. I assumed the cost would be outrageous, particularly after having seen what thermal-imaging equipment cost can be. I never bothered to research the subject further as it undoubtedly more than I'd be interested in spending.

In the recently-posted link by Norse of a YT video in the Northern Olympics Trackway Find thread, I watched with interest how a track was scanned using a smartphone. It produced a 3D image of the footprint that could be twisted, turned, and viewed from various angles. Very impressive.

From a quick search, it would appear that certain recent models of iPhones have Lidar technology built in and there are Apps available to download. I'm not sure what App was used by the folks in this YT video. I couldn't find an Android that has Lidar in the phone.

Has anyone recently looked into this technology on either an iPhone or with a dedicated hand-held 3D Lidar scanner? This could be an enormous help in the field particularly if the substrate where the suspected print is located doesn't lend itself to being cast easily. I suppose, if someone already has an iPhone equipped with Lidar there is no marginal cost involved. Just download the App.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1

BFF Patron

Still working my way thru the literature but this summary article describes the technology and set of problems and cost.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/297312/20231009/top-5-best-3d-scanner-apps-2023.htm

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/is-your-iphone-good-enough-to-be-a-3d-scanner/

Edited by bipedalist

Thanks for sending those along bipedalist. Very informative. The scans I saw on the video above were produced from an iPhone and I believe and are good enough for my purposes. That said, I use an Android so the cost of an iPhone, new or used, is fully out-of-pocket which factors into the overall analysis.

It would take a fair amount of time for me to understand the technology and the pros and cons of a phone-based scanner vs dedicated scanner as I remember well spending time analyzing technology options for thermal imaging. I'd be a tad surprised if the dedicated scanner didn't produce more accurate scans but nowadays technology changes so quickly I'd at least be left with an iPhone (or iPad) to use as well.

I think one can reliably see a lot of detail using the Lidar scan and do not have to fall back on a few pictures and a cast which may not turn out as hoped. Weather conditions and human error can play into the results of a cast. In the end, it's one more arrow in the quiver of sasquatching equipment.

SSR Team
9 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

In Expedition Bigfoot, the cast used a Lidar handheld imager on several occasions to record a 3D image of a footprint. I assumed the cost would be outrageous, particularly after having seen what thermal-imaging equipment cost can be. I never bothered to research the subject further as it undoubtedly more than I'd be interested in spending.

In the recently-posted link by Norse of a YT video in the Northern Olympics Trackway Find thread, I watched with interest how a track was scanned using a smartphone. It produced a 3D image of the footprint that could be twisted, turned, and viewed from various angles. Very impressive.

From a quick search, it would appear that certain recent models of iPhones have Lidar technology built in and there are Apps available to download. I'm not sure what App was used by the folks in this YT video. I couldn't find an Android that has Lidar in the phone.

Has anyone recently looked into this technology on either an iPhone or with a dedicated hand-held 3D Lidar scanner? This could be an enormous help in the field particularly if the substrate where the suspected print is located doesn't lend itself to being cast easily. I suppose, if someone already has an iPhone equipped with Lidar there is no marginal cost involved. Just download the App.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ask Todd Hale about the app, he's very approachable and i had it on my phone once but deleted it as i have no use for it, can't remember what it's called though.

Do you want me to ask him for you ?

I’ve got an older iPhone, when I search for LiDAR Scanner on the App Store at least 20 of them pop up, most free to download with in-app purchases.  Looks like you just need iOS 15 or later to run them which almost all iPhones use now.

You could put it on an iPad too, those start at a little over $ 300.

8 hours ago, BobbyO said:

Ask Todd Hale about the app, he's very approachable and i had it on my phone once but deleted it as i have no use for it, can't remember what it's called though.

Do you want me to ask him for you ?

I would be appreciative if you would ask him.  Thank you.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

SSR Team

ScandyPro, it has a blue image..

Also others he uses are Capture and Scaniverse.

BFF Patron

I think the issue is one of intensity of usage and manner of storage.  From reading it seems you have to take as many as a dozen or more images 

from differing orientations preferably in decent light or with illumination without major shadows.  This will probably create huge file sizes though

I have no direct experience with this medium.  Pro versions allow you to bank many more portfolios of studies/incidents, free ones not as much. 

You need to know the size of the files and what storage capacity you are going to need and whether you are saving to file on your cpu or to the cloud. 

The ubiquitous nature and light weight of the phone is a no-brainer and the budget conscious Squatcher can save lugging alot of dental stone in bad

weather and over sometimes longer distances with this medium available.  Jeff Meldrum has been banking such images for years.  Some of the older

iPads can be used for this purpose too as mentioned upstream.

Edited by bipedalist

4 hours ago, bipedalist said:

I think the issue is one of intensity of usage and manner of storage.  From reading it seems you have to take as many as a dozen or more images 

from differing orientations preferably in decent light or with illumination without major shadows.  This will probably create huge file sizes though

I have no direct experience with this medium.  Pro versions allow you to bank many more portfolios of studies/incidents, free ones not as much. 

You need to know the size of the files and what storage capacity you are going to need and whether you are saving to file on your cpu or to the cloud. 

The ubiquitous nature and light weight of the phone is a no-brainer and the budget conscious Squatcher can save lugging alot of dental stone in bad

weather and over sometimes longer distances with this medium available.  Jeff Meldrum has been banking such images for years.  Some of the older

iPads can be used for this purpose too as mentioned upstream.

@bipedalist    I know nothing about Lidar scanning so please bear with me as I fumble around. I thought with the Lidar scanner on the iPhone (and corresponding App) you simply hit "play" and the scanner and software scan the area of interest much like taking a movie. When are pictures taken at various angles? Here is a YT short video:

The simple truth is for most people, myself included, encountering a footprint is very unusual. That limitation didn't stop me from getting a thermal imager whereby an encounter at night is also a very infrequent occurence. I think equipment, especially that which is highly-technical, can be either a game changer, a burden, or both and we have to decide for ourselves what we're willing to sacrifice. Pay to play now or wait until technology becomes more affordable.

In this instance, if an iPhone and corresponding Apps serve the purpose of documenting a footprint and provide enough detail to be informative, it is a no/low cost solution particularly if you already have an iPhone with Lidar capability. A rare opportunity to take advantage of current technology at no or little cost.

BFF Patron

@wiiawiwb never used the technology

Based my mention of multiple angle scans from the Olympic project paper posted to forum and my review of summary articles.

I'm sure you could get by with a single scan, it would be nice to have someone actually using the technology in the field to tell us more. 

Edited by bipedalist