Sierra Shooting From A-Z (Continued)

bipedalist

Guest Divergent1

I went back and reread my post in question. I didn't notice your post at the time, my comment is not directed at you, it just happens to fall right below yours. My response is directed at the video on the previous page. Several of us are commenting on it, as you can see.

I haven't forgotten our discussion in another thread not too long ago where I questioned your motives for being pro-kill. For the record, I don't agree with your stance but that doesn't mean I think you are a sociopath. 

However, I do think Justin might be because at one point he thought he was shooting at a man in a suit and pulled the trigger anyway. Shooting something in self defense should be a last resort and the distance between the truck and the creature/ man in the suit in the field didn't pose any threat to him. Science was the last thing on his mind. 

OntarioSquatch, your description of Justin meets the criteria for a sociopath, by the way. 

Edited by Divergent1

Guest OntarioSquatch

For some reason, Smeja isn't worried one bit about how people will interpret his words. Assuming he's being honest about the story, I think he must have known that what he was looking at wasn't a guy in a suit because no hunter in their right mind would shoot at a hair covered creature if they know it's really a person in a costume.

Guest Divergent1

"Right mind" is the key phrase there, the driver was telling him not to do it, he was not in imminent danger, he didn't have the target clearly identified, and he shot it anyway. 

I've run across characters like this before in my line of work. That excuse about the paranoia of a game warden always finding something wrong screams poacher to me. The more I listened the more my hackles grew, you are right Ontario, this man doesn't care. 

Edited by Divergent1

I went back and reread my post in question. I didn't notice your post at the time, my comment is not directed at you, it just happens to fall right below yours. My response is directed at the video on the previous page. Several of us are commenting on it, as you can see.

I haven't forgotten our discussion in another thread not too long ago where I questioned your motives for being pro-kill. For the record, I don't agree with your stance but that doesn't mean I think you are a sociopath. 

However, I do think Justin might be because at one point he thought he was shooting at a man in a suit and pulled the trigger anyway. Shooting something in self defense should be a last resort and the distance between the truck and the creature/ man in the suit in the field didn't pose any threat to him. Science was the last thing on his mind. 

OntarioSquatch, your description of Justin meets the criteria for a sociopath, by the way.

No worries at all, I asked for clarification and you gave it straight away. Thank you.

And I will say that shooting someone in a suit worries me. This is why I dont employ any long range tactics because its too hard to tell. But close up and personal it should be easy to spot and I dont openly talk about exact locations Im going or go close to public roads or campgrounds. I try to stay remote and minimize any fools in Gorilla costumes.

Guest OntarioSquatch

You're more likely to come across an actual Bigfoot than a guy in a gorilla costume if you're in a fairly remote area imo...

thats what Im banking on, that and the fact that I think i can tell the difference between a guy in a suit and a very large primate at close range.

Guest OntarioSquatch

It should be pretty easy to tell if it's real at close range. The size and anatomical features will probably give it away. 

BFF Patron

For some reason, Smeja isn't worried one bit about how people will interpret his words. Assuming he's being honest about the story, I think he must have known that what he was looking at wasn't a guy in a suit because no hunter in their right mind would shoot at a hair covered creature if they know it's really a person in a costume.

This is total BS the guy was road hunting/rather poaching and wasn't far from it, Norseman's modus operandi would negate such foolishness from entering the mix. Any typical psychopath could fool a lie detector test, they lie and lie well.    

Guest OntarioSquatch

This is total BS the guy was road hunting/rather poaching and wasn't far from it, Norseman's modus operandi would negate such foolishness from entering the mix. Any typical psychopath could fool a lie detector test, they lie and lie well.    

You mean to say he didn't really know if it was a person?

BFF Patron

I mean to say he would have shot anything with fur, if his spotter told him not to......   as he did.  Problem being, deafmute squatch hasn't returned to the ballpark lately.  Maybe they had to switch to braille.  Yes, tongue in cheek, j/k

Edited by bipedalist

Guest OntarioSquatch

Yeah I know that, but the precise reason his buddy told him not to shoot is still a question. It's possible that Smeja might have had a better view of the animal through the scope. His friend did say that his binoculars weren't adjusted properly.

Guest Divergent1

Poaching would explain why he didn't bring back the body of the young one. Bear gallbladders go for $2000 per ounce in Southeast Asia. If he was involved in any kind of operation like that then he would be in a slew of trouble from both his employer and fish and game, it wouldn't be just a $1000 fine. 

"Right mind" is the key phrase there, the driver was telling him not to do it, he was not in imminent danger, he didn't have the target clearly identified, and he shot it anyway. 

I've run across characters like this before in my line of work. That excuse about the paranoia of a game warden always finding something wrong screams poacher to me. The more I listened the more my hackles grew, you are right Ontario, this man doesn't care. 

I was wondering about this. Do hunters really have the attitude JS described towards F and G - they catch you breaking the law even when you're not, hunters are always breaking some law, seeing them as the enemy it seems?

Guest Divergent1

No, that is what made me think there was a lot more to the story than just a hunting trip. Poachers will cop that kind of attitude, those that do it on a regular basis.

One problem, the shooting coincides with hunting season.

///////////////////////

Justin Smeja says on October 8th of 2010 he was out bear and deer hunting with a friend. When they rounded a corner in a truck and seen what, Justin describes as a “monsterâ€.

///////////////////////

http://txsasquatch.blogspot.com/2012/01/sierra-shooting.html