If Camped And Bf Threatens..........

georgerm

Guest wudewasa

Maybe BF seeing a dog with a person thinks that the guy is just keeping it around for food later.??

I get the "lunch on a leash" idea. Coyotes have perfected this technique, drawing pets into the woods where they are killed and consumed.

Apex predators can learn that certain food items are best avoided, be it due to bad taste, energy expenditure, pain inducing defenses, etc. Humans have many creative ways to deter predation, sometimes ending in the predator's death. Humans have a propensity of protecting their own. This altruism extends to family, clan and nation/state, as well as interspecies in some instances.

Yes, sasquatch may not understand this, if it exists . Some humans ignore this principle, and learn the hard way as well.

post-1029-013980500 1317150290_thumb.jpg

Sad story. But, what if the BF was leaving the bones as a thank you gift back to the campers instead of a warning. I don't think the BF would know if a dog was a pet or not.

post-987-005050900 1317151570_thumb.jpg

I don't believe Bigfoot would care about anything that wasn't related to getting exposed. None of us really knows how it feels about dogs?

Guest krakatoa

...one should make his decision within the space of seven breaths. It is a matter of being determined and having the spirit to break through to the other side.

When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way.

Such is the way of the samurai.

Not sure I'd hunt a 'foot w/ a katana.

Then again, a properly wielded one would probably do better than most calibers of firearm.

Such is the way of the samurai.

Not sure I'd hunt a 'foot w/ a katana.

Then again, a properly wielded one would probably do better than most calibers of firearm.

krakatoa,

Just remember...push pull...at impact. :thumbsup:

Pat...

I don't typically take dogs into the woods, especially not to hunt or camp. When I am hunting (with or without a weapon) I like to be as quiet and undetectable as possible, which is difficult with a dog. Of course it's impossible to remain completely undetectable. I wonder what the dog jawbones looked like. Fresh bones look much different than bones of an animal that has been dead for a while. Also, animals can be aged by tooth wear, so it would have been interesting for the vet to have aged the jawbone too in order to see if it matched the age of their missing pet.

Btw, I can't buy the whole "you won't have a shot at one" idea about BF, unless it is too far away, too close, or just moving rapidly through thick cover. There is no physical being on earth that cannot be killed, and there is no terrestrial mammal that cannot be shot and killed. It's impossible to predict whether a person will or will not have a shot opportunity in any given situation occurring randomly across the continent at any given time now or in the future. Naturally any creature/person close to you could potentially take you out before you could take your weapon off safety or **** it and aim and shoot. I could easily do that before I got sick, and it doesn't take strength or power to do it. A knife is much more dangerous than a firearm if you are close enough to physically touch your opponent.

Interesting how they seem to vary in how they relate with dogs. Some either don't like them and toss them away when they approach, some seem to want to kill them out of anger or for food, yet others have been reported walking with them in a pack.

The woods command respect with or without bf. I have always had huge dogs over 200lbs and personally I would not take them in the woods with me no matter how huge and fierce they were. Maybe only if I had a large pack of them that I had complete control over as pack leader where they could defend both me and themselves together in a pack but even then some could still get injured or killed.

Interesting how they seem to vary in how they relate with dogs. Some either don't like them and toss them away when they approach, some seem to want to kill them out of anger or for food, yet others have been reported walking with them in a pack.

The woods command respect with or without bf. I have always had huge dogs over 200lbs and personally I would not take them in the woods with me no matter how huge and fierce they were. Maybe only if I had a large pack of them that I had complete control over as pack leader where they could defend both me and themselves together in a pack but even then some could still get injured or killed.

Sounds like the size dogs I need to guard my place. Someone stole all my deer stands from my shed at the place we just moved from (still moving a few things), and I am determined not to let that kind of stuff happen here!

Guest BuzzardEater

This happened in Canada. You can't just go to your window rack and select an appropriate caliber rifle.

To have any gun at all you need to do paperwork. A rifle requires paperwork to even transport.

Dogs are animals. Putting a lapdog into the wilderness is like putting a schoolgirl in the NFL. It isn't really fair. The dog doesn't expect to be eaten. How would he know? The Sasquatch doesn't know the dog isn't allowed out. It must seem like an attack.

Most people camp in a campground. There are reasons for this. Adventuring off in the woods is a whole other level. Travel trailers do not have any more protection than a tent in terms of security. A bear will peel the walls off like an onion. Assuming a lone bear, you might get away with spray, but several bears can use up a can of spray in an evening and still have time for breakfast before daybreak.

Leaving food in a trailer is like opening a drive through to a bear. No bears is a clue. Unless you are these humans, who also failed to interpret the advancing screams as territorial.

It's too bad about the pet. It is foreseeable, though. I really think harrassing BFs with dogs is escalating the situation. This forces the BF to do killing. Do you want that? Surely, the BF would think boundaries have been crossed. Didn't the 911 caller say his dog had been thrown, dead, back into his yard?

The lesson, for me, is that dogs cannot be used as ambassadors. We know how that will be interpreted.

The element of communication is important to this account. Short of knocking on the door and requesting privacy, what more could the Sasquatch do? Instead, the misinterpretation of signals led to a tragic loss. Sad.

BFs are constantly under estimated by us. The obvious sensible reaction would be to move your camp.

Guest BuzzardEater

Sorry, anything that kills either of my dogs gets killed. Period. If I have a shot, it is going down. JMO.

If you set your dogs on something you have to expect a reaction.

If you set your dogs on me (a Sasquatch) I won't blame the dogs. They are pawns. I will rook them. Then, it's on to the endgame. You are in check.

Save your dogs. Don't put them in play. Period.

I guess we take a lot for granted here in the US, like being able to carry a firearm. I do see that it is either illegal (at times) or difficult to be able to carry a pistol for protection in Canada, but I don't understand the reasoning for it with as much wilderness as Canada contains and the fact that large predators are more common there than in the continental US. I used to roam the woods with only a good stick and a knife when I was younger, but nowadays I like to carry extra protection with me when I can.

Guest wild eyed willy

Aren't we jumping to conclusions that the dog was killed, when in fact no one knows if it was. The dog could easily have been scared off to the point it could no longer find it's way back or perhaps it would prefer not to find it's way back. It may have met an accidental end in the woods. The problem here is that we all jump to conclusions way to often. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it has to be a duck right? no it doesn't have to be a duck, it might be a goose who's growth was stunted from eating too many coffee beans as a child. The point is we have to remember that just because the facts as we know them point in a certain direction, it doesn't nesessarily mean that is what happened.

If the dog was killed I feel bad for those involved. I certainly hope the dog is alive and well, living with a new adopted family.

If I thought bigfoot was mad because I was there I would just pack up and leave. If bigfoot was more insistent, I'ld just grab my keys and purse and leave the rest of my stuff behind.

Guest HairyGreek

If you set your dogs on something you have to expect a reaction.

If you set your dogs on me (a Sasquatch) I won't blame the dogs. They are pawns. I will rook them. Then, it's on to the endgame. You are in check.

Save your dogs. Don't put them in play. Period.

Based on the account, no I would never take my dogs to look for bigfoot.

My point is, if I was out camping and had an encounter and my dogs attacked to protect me and were killed...well, if I had a shot it certainly would be taken; until the job was thoroughly done. We will put para apes theory to the test for sure. Hell, my dogs never attack anything larger than a squirrel. If they ever did, I would assume it to be something not so nice. The only two times my larger dog has ever growled and showed her fangs it was well deserved and the dog in one instance was telling me something that I thought was over-reacting and turned out to be right on.

Talk about something to push me through my initial fear response. By all means, threaten my family and see what happens. Let's play some chess.

Based on the account, no I would never take my dogs to look for bigfoot.

My point is, if I was out camping and had an encounter and my dogs attacked to protect me and were killed...well, if I had a shot it certainly would be taken; until the job was thoroughly done.

Me too, my dog wouldn't think twice about putting its life on the line to protect me something no human would ever do. We were in Canada once and we came close to a Moose, she went between me and the Moose and was ready to battle to the end. If it came down to it and the Moose charged I would have let her die so I could run to safety. But I promise you this Mr. Moose I will be back with a 12 gauge filled with 00 buck.

I recall a report of a bigfoot seen with dogs, including that it whistled and they obeyed. But just one such report.

I do not doubt they know what is a pet.

I do not doubt it was a warning. The guy should just be glad it wasn't his jawbone with toothmarks someone found.

If you don't think that kind of screaming around your campsite, closer and closer, screaming scary enough to drive you inside a trailer, isn't a warning to get ye gone, well, that is just nuts.

I wonder, why were they camping by the logging road for two weeks? Cutting timber? Wouldn't be at all surprised if bigfoot objected to that activity.