If Camped And Bf Threatens..........

georgerm

Sometimes when they are around, guns won't shoot. ^_^

:wacko:

I've heard of certain abilities/habits/personality traits, etc. that have been applied or attributed to Sasquatch, but this is a first. Telekinesis? Seriously?

Granted, weapons will misfire, but only for a couple of reasons, the two main ones being a mechanical malfunction or a bad load. The latter is easily rectifiable, the other can only be cleared by disassembly, inspection, cleaning and repair (if necessary) and reassembly. I suppose an experienced marksman could accomplish all of this in the time it takes "one of their coyotes" to move out of the area, depending on the weapon. To make a statement like this that can (under the context given) only imply that, somehow, the presence of Sasquatch rendered a weapon inoperable falls well out of the realm of believability, in my humble opinion. Infrasound, I can buy. Telepathy, I can keep an open mind to. To actually be able to render a mechanical device inoperable by somehow not allowing it to work thru some sort of control of the components or stopping a chemical reaction? I'm sorry, I've gotta side with Incorrigible1 on this one...ain't buyin' it.

Getting back on topic, though. If I was camped out and was convinced that Sasquatch was there, I don't think I'd be afraid. I've come to the conclusion that they mean us no harm. I would also realize that, for all intents and purposes, I am in his/her "house" and, if I believed that I was being asked to leave, would bid a hasty tactical retreat. Whether I managed to try to get a photo or video would depend on how much time I believed I had between the warning (whatever that might be) and when I was going to become a Sasquatch hackysack.

May I ask how you were addressing my post? How will you defend yourself on something that may attack you from your blind spot.I am not saying that this is what they are doing because there are no incident of this kind happening.I can understand the fear and the protection that one must have.But these creatures are not agressive at all and they have never shown agression in my direction to the point that I would have to draw on them.

The point I am trying to make is that if they wanted to they can do to us what they want when they want when ever they please.There is no really right way of stopping them since they own the forest and are way to stealthy for us to even have a chance.There is that one chance that one might have snuck up on one by accident and that happens.I believe that is what might have happened in Nothern Califonia.In away it is a matter of luck to see these creatures unless you are actively searching for them, then it becomes a question of when.There are others who have more knowledge of these creatures and i am sure they keep that knowledge to themselves which is a good thing for these creatures.But this knowledge should not be kept hidden maybe some knowledge but not all.This is just my opionion which really does not mean alot in this world since i do not have a PHD behind my last name. :( But if it did have that PHD it would be a diffirent story. :D

Guest HairyGreek

The point I am trying to make is that if they wanted to they can do to us what they want when they want when ever they please.

I respectfully disagree, but you are welcome to your own opinions. If this was true, we would be the ones living in the woods.

That's a very interesting and very scary account of your encounter, Tdelta. Thanks for sharing. Hey, if they brandish big tree parts then, why not carry at least a nice size revolver (for defense). We are all Children of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars, we have a right to be here. :thumbsup:

I carry a .357revolver now, tucked in my pack, which I sling in front of me, just reach in and grab, but it's out of site. I didn't see the Sasquatch or the stick, but you know the sound a log makes when you pull it from under fallen, wet leaves, when that suction breaks? That's what I heard. Maybe it was the equivalent of a tree break as a warning? Possibly, maybe it was just handy. I was in old growth hardwood with thick patches of Youpon Holly Scrub.

Later I started re-reading the old legends again... my flesh crawled when I read about them mimicking babies to lure the Indian maidens into the woods....... Not sure what that says about me at 5'11" 200 lbs. I guess in their world I would be downright petite..

Edited by Tautriadelta

Guest Forbig

I carry a .357revolver now, tucked in my pack, which I sling in front of me, just reach in and grab, but it's out of site.

Excellent choice you can't beat the good old reliable .357 wheel gun. Big enough to stop anything if you hit it in the vitals with 5 more rounds if you don't. It's not all complicated with a bunch of springs and things like those fancy new autos that might jam up.

I'll take one over an auto any day.

Well carrying a weapon when in the woods is certainly a personal decision. As a father I tend to worry more about the Sapien Sapiens. But you just never know.

In some cases regarding Sasquatch a weapon could get a person in terrible trouble. I would never shoot one unless left with no other options and I was in mortal danger. For those that are pro-kill I say the same thing to them as I tell myself. If you pull the trigger and manage to drop one, reload as fast as you can, stay frosty getting out of the woods and good luck to you.

In my case at least I would go down fighting, just prior to the horrible screams and sounds of limbs being torn from their sockets. Because they are rarely alone by many accounts. if you linger, someone is going to come calling.

Guest Forbig

Well carrying a weapon when in the woods is certainly a personal decision. As a father I tend to worry more about the Sapien Sapiens. But you just never know.

In some cases regarding Sasquatch a weapon could get a person in terrible trouble. I would never shoot one unless left with no other options and I was in mortal danger. For those that are pro-kill I say the same thing to them as I tell myself. If you pull the trigger and manage to drop one, reload as fast as you can, stay frosty getting out of the woods and good luck to you.

In my case at least I would go down fighting, just prior to the horrible screams and sounds of limbs being torn from their sockets. Because they are rarely alone by many accounts. if you linger, someone is going to come calling.

I couldn't kill one either unless it was about to kill me.

:wacko:

I've heard of certain abilities/habits/personality traits, etc. that have been applied or attributed to Sasquatch, but this is a first. Telekinesis? Seriously?

Granted, weapons will misfire, but only for a couple of reasons, the two main ones being a mechanical malfunction or a bad load. The latter is easily rectifiable, the other can only be cleared by disassembly, inspection, cleaning and repair (if necessary) and reassembly. I suppose an experienced marksman could accomplish all of this in the time it takes "one of their coyotes" to move out of the area, depending on the weapon. To make a statement like this that can (under the context given) only imply that, somehow, the presence of Sasquatch rendered a weapon inoperable falls well out of the realm of believability, in my humble opinion. Infrasound, I can buy. Telepathy, I can keep an open mind to. To actually be able to render a mechanical device inoperable by somehow not allowing it to work thru some sort of control of the components or stopping a chemical reaction? I'm sorry, I've gotta side with Incorrigible1 on this one...ain't buyin' it.

Getting back on topic, though. If I was camped out and was convinced that Sasquatch was there, I don't think I'd be afraid. I've come to the conclusion that they mean us no harm. I would also realize that, for all intents and purposes, I am in his/her "house" and, if I believed that I was being asked to leave, would bid a hasty tactical retreat. Whether I managed to try to get a photo or video would depend on how much time I believed I had between the warning (whatever that might be) and when I was going to become a Sasquatch hackysack.

Well said on all counts. Personally it would be the loner, possibly juvenile, inexperienced males that I would be most afraid of.

Guest wild eyed willy

I certainly hope that should I ever be fortunate enough to have an encounter, that it is at a distance, for the first one. I would be happy to hear a vocalization or a tree knock. Even without an encounter, I know they exist. I don't wonder about it, I wonder how many of them I pass in my day to day travels and how closley I have passed them. As I drive past forested places I can't help but wonder if there is one just inside the tree line watching the car drive by.

Something a little off the OP but I feel warrants sharing. To my knowledge I have not had any seemingly obvious Sasquatch activity in proximity to the house in many years. I am sure they look in on me from time to time out of curiosity if they are passing through, but I am sure they treat any homestead with curiosity. There have been some unusual events, that could possibly be related but I can rationalize many of them or explain them away outright. I live on a farm, with cows, a few horses and dogs. My neighbors here on the farm are relatives and the nearest is 200 yards away across a pasture. My house is bordered on the left side (North) withing 60 feet by a 4-strand barbed-wire fence and very thick woods. Old growth pine and hardwood with very very thick underbrush (Youpon Holly). Standing at the fence and looking into the woods at midday you can see 30 yards if you catch a break in the scrub. Last night I went outside around midnight to grab a bottle of Tylenol from the car. I turned on the porch-light, stepped outside and was confronted by the sound of my dog, Gypsy (Lab mix) fighting with something in the woods. My uncle had reported seeing 3 coyotes at the edge of the woods that morning, and another fellow down the road who is a professional trapper has managed to trap 2 in the last week. He sells the pelts I suppose. With the drought and the wildfires we have displaced animals coming our way since we have stock tanks in order to water cattle. I yelled for Gypsy to come to me, it was a hell of a ruckus, she has a very deep voice for a dog and I could hear her clearly; however I was quickly struck by the fact that I couldn't hear any vocal sounds from whatever she was tangled up with. Anyone who has ever witness a a serious fight between dogs knows it's pretty loud by all parties involved.

I assumed she had run down the coyotes, but I could only hear her from where I was. I yelled for her again, then stepped back inside the door to the gun cabinet and grabbed my Model 1100. There barrel is sawed off, custom job 2 inches past the fore-stock. I keep it for home defense, varmints, AMWAY people etc. I also grabbed my big Mag Light and went back outside and started walking toward the fence, I had gone about 30 feet when I heard something behind me BOOM and I knew what produced the sound instantly. I have an out-building that houses feed and tack that is basically a huge fiberglass fuel cell stood on end with a domed roof. My father bought several of them when I was a kid. When anything solid hits it a very loud, hollow BOOM is heard. It is unmistakable. I turned and looked but saw nothing, most of that are of the yard is not lit up by my porch lighting. I decided to check that out after I had gotten my dog back though. I yelled for Gypsy again and still no sound from her adversary at all, worse yet she was starting to gurgle and I knew something had her by the throat. Before the impact on the building behind me I had been thinking cougar possibly, they are still around though rare, but on the come-back I am told, and because of the silence, that REALLY bother me. All this was transpiring within 60 seconds at this point. I was about to run to the fence and into the woods and something stopped me. Satan I thought, I need Satan. No not that Satan.... I have a 8 year old Warlock named Satan. His name is well-deserved. He has been wonderful with my kids and animals, but he has problems with certain types of people so he typically stays in the house. He is a beast of a dog, anyone who knows a Warlock understands what I am talking about. We had this discussion about Sasquatch and dogs the other night on this thread and I said I took my dog (Gyspy) with me on occasion, I assumed she knows their scent, has seen them and avoids them. Although I wasn't sure it was a Sasquatch scoping out the house, looking for an easy meal of a calf in the lot 100 yards away or just curious it did cross my mind that maybe she had gotten too close.... and I made the decision that I needed extra eyes and teeth with me, regardless of what Gypsy was fighting with. I could hear Satan barking and banging at the storm door, I opened it and he bolted straight for the woods and I ran to try and keep up, he joined the fray and the noise really got loud from the two dogs and whatever it was, breaking branches, that sounds of disturbed earth and heavy things jostling around in the darkness. The Marine in me started to crawl through the fence and at that point, when my hand and foot touched the wire to spread them apart my own hackles went up, and I got that weird, sinking feeling so many people talk about. I was pissed, but apprehensive and I thought about the noise at the building again. At this point I flipped off the safety on the 1100 and popped three shots into the air, leaving two in the magazine. All hell broke loose at that point, the fighting seemed to break up and the whole row begin to move further into the woods. At that point I realized that the whole situation was now totally out of my control as if it was not already.

At that point I started for the shed and my 18 year old son, the soon to be Eagle Scout was standing at the door. I had fallen asleep with is IPOD listening to Floyd...Yes I am very proud in this day and age he appreciates classic rock. We walked to the shed and lying in the grass about 8 feet in front of it was a nice sized white, shale throwing rock from our road that winds past the house and into the back pastures and hay fields. I took a few pictures in the dark with my phone, not very good ones I admit, not intending to be scientific because their is really nothing much to gain from a single rock being thrown HARD from God knows how far away. I tried to calculate trajectory of the incoming rock round to the building in hopes of pinpointing the launch area so to speak, but a round building with a dome roof just isn't very conducive to plotting a reverse azimuth. Still this afternoon I began making slow sweeps outward from the building, looking for any prints, downed grass etc that I could find. The problem is the ground is so hard and powdery from zero rainfall the only prints I could make out where of who knows how many of my 70 cows. The whole thing is very weird, maybe coincidences I don't know. But I keep thinking of the timing of the rock throw and where I was heading with the shotgun at the time it happened. I felt like an attempt to distract me was made. I feel that if so it was for my own good. I also know that IF a Sasquatch was engaged with my dog it could have ended her life in a heartbeat. It did not have to be prolonged as it was. My son and I got in the truck and drove down the logging road that runs behind those woods calling for the dogs but they never came. We killed the engine and sat in the dark listening to the crickets and frogs. We did hear coyotes howling, but they where much more distant. When I left for work this morning at 5 am neither dog had returned. I thought about calling in, and going to look for them, but honestly I am a realist, although I wondered about it all day. When I got home this afternoon Gypsy came to the gate and said hello, wagging her stub of a tail. She is pretty torn up, She has gashes and is very sore, one eye is bruised and he she limping. I took her inside with me and my son was sitting at the kitchen table performing a similar exam on Satan. They where both waiting at the porch when he got home from school. I called my vet, who is a high school buddy, he told me to give them a good dose of combiotic and he would drop by in the morning and check them both out. But they seem to be fine all things considered.

Anyway even though I was at home, I could see this scenario unfolding anyplace. I wont ever know what they stirred up, I am trying not to let the rock-throwing skew my judgement. But I don't think any of my cows have learned to throw rocks yet that I know of. My son was asleep in his room because it was already late and no one else is around........

I have left everything in place, even the rock. Tomorrow I will be home before dark and I will go into the woods and see if i can find the spot of the fight, Lord knows it won't rain lol. I'll take some good pics of everything I find, including the building and the rock.

Great story, well told. Two questions:

1. You took cell phone photos of a rock? Why?

2. You named a dog Satan? Seriously?

Thank you HG,

I was thinking, that shale should have left a mark on the building someplace, even if it's just a little white scuff where it struck. That would at least give me the direction of the launch point. I'll have some daylight to work with tomorrow and I'll see what I can find on that as well as the woods. my son brushed down both dogs this evening, I had him save the loose hair and bag all of it. I also just went and checked their mouths to see what might be in there, all I could find was dog food. They have a self serve feeder outside in the back yard so I am sure they helped themselves when they got home along with getting drinks.

I'm sitting here beginning to realize that with the drought I have been feeding allot of animals, cows, horse, putting out corn for deer and squirrel, huge amounts of seed for the birds as well. If BF decided to stop by I can't blame him, I have rung the dinner bell without even realizing it. Times are hard maybe they tried to take advantage? Who know's all conjecture at this point, except for that crazy rock and feeling of dread I have only felt when they have been near in the past.

You can take down an enraged charging bull elephant with one single well-placed shot out of a conventional hunting rifle built to do exactly this task. We have handguns that can take down Grizzly. I am sorry, but it is silly to think these creatures can't be shot and killed outside believing they are supernatural and that would be heading way off topic on this thread.

Sounds nice in theory but Sasquatch will likely be operating in the dark of night unlike your elephant. Also, Sasquatch is nimble, feet footed, and highly elusive unlike your elephant. Finally, your elephant provides a substantially-sized target which sasquatch does not.

Guest HairyGreek

From your account, it sounds like they tangled with a single animal. Any black bear in your area? I always have to weed out all of that stuff out from my head first. The story I hear about Sas and dogs...well, it doesn't usually end well for the dog. I don't know how your lab lived long enough for Satan to make it out to him if it was a BF. Maybe a wolf? I have never seen a coyote hang around long enough for a one-on-one...especially without making dog-like racket during the brawl as well. If your dogs are that messed up, it would need to be at the least a dog of equal size or larger or a larger animal. Although, depending on where you live, I have heard wolverine can be rather tenacious and balsy...especially when hungry.