Today Is Remembrance Day

Guest tracker

BFF Patron

For Veteran's Day weekend in the U.S. The National Park Service has lifted all entrance fees for the three-day weekend. There may be parks with special events as well in memory of Civil War veterans.

If you can, take advantage of the opportunity.

Saw this on ABC World News Tonight and thought it was also applicable: http://operationmend.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=35

BFF Patron

That makes me cry. No one else stood up?

Are we not teaching our kids how to honor the flag anymore?

Hey susi, from the looks of that picture I would bet those people sitting down are in their mid 60s at this point.

The "Greatest Generation" as many refer to them, is slowly disappearing. I have had to honor of knowing many of them and those that fought during WWII have my deepest respect. When I think of what it must have taken to storm the beaches of Normandy .. I have no idea of what that was really like to those that did.

I am a Gulf War Vet and I have seen what war is all about. I hope I never have to see that again. I wish that all these wars would end and we could bring all the troops back home.

Freedom Is Not Free.

Mike (watch1)

post-1423-019642300 1321063598_thumb.jpg

Kristoffer Domeij, a dedicated soldier will forever be missed by myself and all of his family and friends he gave all for his country.

• Upvote 1

Guest Kerchak

When I think of what it must have taken to storm the beaches of Normandy .. I have no idea of what that was really like to those that did.

My great uncle was a British paratrooper who jumped on D-Day. Unfortunately he wouldn't talk about the war and he died before I could really sit and talk to him. Same with my grandfather who fought the Japanese in Burma.

Storming the beaches of Normandy was just the start of it of course. They then went inland and clashed with the panzer divisions etc.

At the risk of starting a riot I remember the dead of the 'enemy' too. Most of them were also kids with no choice in the matter. My girlfriend is German and she had grandparents and great uncles etc who were sent to fight.

Edited by Kerchak

Hey susi, from the looks of that picture I would bet those people sitting down are in their mid 60s at this point.

I'm sorry, but every 60 year old I know is fully capable of standing up, perhaps if 80 yo, then I'd understand. The man standing looks 70+ to me but I'm just a nurse and not there to that age yet (thankfully). I have no desire to get old yet..

It seems like our people are not as patriotic as we once were.

I know that the Vietnam war made a lot of people lose faith in our government, but they still would love the good to be found in America I hope.

The "Greatest Generation" as many refer to them, is slowly disappearing. I have had to honor of knowing many of them and those that fought during WWII have my deepest respect. When I think of what it must have taken to storm the beaches of Normandy .. I have no idea of what that was really like to those that did.

I am a Gulf War Vet and I have seen what war is all about. I hope I never have to see that again. I wish that all these wars would end and we could bring all the troops back home.

Freedom Is Not Free.

Mike (watch1)

Thank you for your comment.:wub: My son is facing what you faced. He is still so young, but is a man after his war experiences. He's lost some of his very closest friends whom he went to college with to combat. That has really been hard on him. They were all newly weds also, leaving young widows all alone. :(

My great uncle was a British paratrooper who jumped on D-Day. Unfortunately he wouldn't talk about the war and he died before I could really sit and talk to him. Same with my grandfather who fought the Japanese in Burma.

Storming the beaches of Normandy was just the start of it of course. They then went inland and clashed with the panzer divisions etc.

At the risk of starting a riot I remember the dead of the 'enemy' too. Most of them were also kids with no choice in the matter. My girlfriend is German and she had grandparents and great uncles etc who were sent to fight.

Well said, not every German soldier was a Nazi at heart. They where young men following orders. Soldiers don't have the luxury of making policy, right or wrong. Soldiers obey. Once the rounds begin coming downrange policy and government ideals mean nothing. Fighting to keep your brothers-in-arms alive is what matters.

American soldiers don't fight for Mom, Dad, Apple Pie or Sweet Little Susie back home. They fight for each other, and that's all. In the Corps we always said "I don;t intend to die for my country, but I will make the enemy die for his" Plain and simple.

Edited by Tautriadelta

That is so true. Remember the Christmas truce on Christmas Eve when the soldiers in their fox holes on both side joined together, sang carols, shook hands, and the next day rejoined the battle.

It's heartbreaking being forced to fight for a country when you essentially have no choice which happened to the Germans and Russians, plus America also drafted men to fight the war but that was a rather **Large** war with many sides and locations.. Now we have a all volunteer army. I'm thankful for that.

Guest wudewasa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TybZHddCSx8

The first video has been made popular in the movie "We Were Soldiers." The second video is of the man who wrote the song that so many love. Joe died of cancer in 2009. I had the opportunity to meet him, share a stage and talk to him about the song. He said that it came to him as he looked at the pic of his great grandfather after his own wife died of cancer. He asked his ancestor how he had the strength to go into battle, knowing he would die, and the words to the song flowed into his mind.

The photo of Charles Stuart MacKenzie was taken at a hospital in France. It was sent back to Scotland where his wife framed it and hung it on her mantle. On the night Charles died, the frame and glass fell and broke. Charles' wife took at as a sign that her husband had passed on.

Here is a rare interview with Joe:

Edited by wudewasa

I'm sorry, but every 60 year old I know is fully capable of standing up, perhaps if 80 yo, then I'd understand. The man standing looks 70+ to me but I'm just a nurse and not there to that age yet (thankfully). I have no desire to get old yet..

It seems like our people are not as patriotic as we once were.

I know that the Vietnam war made a lot of people lose faith in our government, but they still would love the good to be found in America I hope.

Thank you for your comment.:wub: My son is facing what you faced. He is still so young, but is a man after his war experiences. He's lost some of his very closest friends whom he went to college with to combat. That has really been hard on him. They were all newly weds also, leaving young widows all alone. :(

I was referring to the "teaching our kids" comment :D ...Those people would have been kids in the 50s.