Stagnation the most frustrating part of Squatchitis?

CelticKevin

11 minutes ago, CelticKevin said:

keeping an eye to the sides of the road when we travel over the mountain passes.

This is not a bad strategy. There are reports all the time of roadside sightings.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, CelticKevin said:

Believe me, I'd LOVE to be one of those "go outdoors and search" types. Problem is.... well, just not equipped for it. I was not brought up in an outdoorsy household. Oh I've been hunting and camping, but I have no clue how to operate a 4 wheeler or own a truck. I get lost going down a one way street. My knowledge of firearms is not extensive...thus, why I stick with my Ruger .22. My cousins are all avid outdoorsmen and women. But, my dad didn't have the time to take me out as a kid and raise me in such a way. Heck, right now I don't even own a pocket knife. So all of my study is from my office and keeping an eye to the sides of the road when we travel over the mountain passes. Bit of a lost cause I guess...lol.

If the cousins won’t help you out and you are truly interested in becoming proficient in the outdoors?

There are plenty of survival schools to choose from. Varying skill levels and different courses to choose from.

https://www.northwestsurvivalschool.com

I have actually thought about putting on a school to learn how to do the stuff that I was raised with. A rifle, a chainsaw and a four wheel drive was like all my friends goal to own by the time we were 16. We just took it for granted. Our greatest time was every fall cutting firewood and hunting deer in the national forest.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CelticKevin said:

Believe me, I'd LOVE to be one of those "go outdoors and search" types. Problem is.... well, just not equipped for it. I was not brought up in an outdoorsy household. Oh I've been hunting and camping, but I have no clue how to operate a 4 wheeler or own a truck. I get lost going down a one way street. My knowledge of firearms is not extensive...thus, why I stick with my Ruger .22. My cousins are all avid outdoorsmen and women. But, my dad didn't have the time to take me out as a kid and raise me in such a way. Heck, right now I don't even own a pocket knife. So all of my study is from my office and keeping an eye to the sides of the road when we travel over the mountain passes. Bit of a lost cause I guess...lol.

Getting started as an adult can be difficult.   You need some friends, a mentor.     Consider taking some .. I hesitate to call them "classes", maybe seminars is a better word .. from someone like REI to get you roughly familiarized with camping.   Then when you are comfortable enough, try going out with a group like BFRO.   It is not for everyone but .. y' gotta start somewhere.    I know some people who go on such trips who "camp" inside their cars which reduces the amount of gear needed.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CelticKevin said:

Believe me, I'd LOVE to be one of those "go outdoors and search" types

The first axiom of Sasquatch is Sasquatch finds you, you do not find Sasquatch.

Small steps. There are some good suggestions in this thread. Car camping is a safe way to go if you don't want to buy a tent. Tents require storage space, washing, drying and maintenance. Vehicles are 'hard side camping' and provide protection while you learn the animal inventory in your area. If you go solo, you are 'outnumbered' and animals like that.

You don't need a big truck or 4WD. Ground clearance can be a factor though.

Road crossings are common. Day and night. I have seen both.

Carry a pocket knife so that you can cut your underwear off without taking off your boots if you poop your pants.

Norseman posted a link to an interesting vendor for survival training. There is a 'Rambo' category where you can learn how to get out of handcuffs. Could be useful here in Seattle.

Sasquatch does find you, no question about it, but you have to put yourself in a spot for that opportunity to occur.  E. 42nd St and Park Ave (Grand Central Station) won't produce the desired results.  I would say deep woods aren't a necessity but being in areas that have access to wilderness isn't a bad idea.

Those who endeavor to go sasquatching will eventually get frustrated unless being in the woods itself is the fun part.  Knowing wilderness survival, and practicing it, along with wilderness navigation techniques help to reduce concerns about getting injured or lost. Never too old to learn nor ever too busy to participate unless life's responsibilities or other more desirable activities tug harder at your coattails.

Half the battle is just getting out there.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Like 1

Excellent suggestions to be sure from everyone. It's not like I am a novice or completely inept. Just not equipped for it and am aware of my limitations. I enjoy camping and being in the woods, but I am sure if i took off on my own, I'd end up on the 11 o'clock news after having wasted tax payer dollars for the search party. I'm looking to get a few of my pals who know their way around the hills to join me for a weekend.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 5:32 PM, MIB said:

This is why I seldom "go bigfooting."   Instead, I go fishing, hiking, hunting, exploring, taking pictures, whatever.   Make those my first priority.   Do it where there seems to be an elevated (comparatively speaking) chance of bigfoot activity, but make bigfoot .. secondary.    The odds of success at those other things seems hThe great great igher, high enough to keep the interest going, and "bigfoot country" is a great place to do them.

Excellent post. The great outdoors is to be enjoyed. 

Whatever motivation is needed to get one outside is a great reason. My daughter goes out frequently with her group to camp,hike and search for the mythical beasts. I highly encourage her. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Excellent post. The great outdoors is to be enjoyed. 

Whatever motivation is needed to get one outside is a great reason. My daughter goes out frequently with her group to camp,hike and search for the mythical beasts. I highly encourage her. 

You never miss a chance to throw shade on the subject….do you?🙄

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, CelticKevin said:

but I am sure if i took off on my own, I'd end up on the 11 o'clock news after having wasted tax payer dollars for the search party.

A lot of money is required to gear up from scratch.  Suitable clothing and especially footwear. Safety items are important like a compass, mirror, whistle, 'space blanket' and tourniquet to name a few.  A personal locator beacon, PLB, is a good investment. With a PLB, the SAR aircraft can find you and consume less fuel.

On 3/3/2024 at 8:57 PM, norseman said:

You never miss a chance to throw shade on the subject….do you?🙄

Thank you. I appreciate you keeping track for me.

Good thing you are not the owner or I would probably be banned by now. 🙄

1 hour ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Thank you. I appreciate you keeping track for me.

Good thing you are not the owner or I would probably be banned by now. 🙄

Oh you’re much too nice to be banned. You definitely know where the line is. It just baffles me that you participate in a “mythical beast” forum with such vigor.

6 minutes ago, norseman said:

Oh you’re much too nice to be banned. You definitely know where the line is. It just baffles me that you participate in a “mythical beast” forum with such vigor.

Thank you for the nice comment. Just for that I will tone down the mythical beasts comments.

On 3/3/2024 at 12:22 PM, CelticKevin said:

Excellent suggestions to be sure from everyone. It's not like I am a novice or completely inept. Just not equipped for it and am aware of my limitations. I enjoy camping and being in the woods, but I am sure if i took off on my own, I'd end up on the 11 o'clock news after having wasted tax payer dollars for the search party. I'm looking to get a few of my pals who know their way around the hills to join me for a weekend.

Start off small. Go out for a solo camping trip for a night or two. Set up a base camp and do some light pack day trips. You can use a can of spray paint to mark your path so you don't get lost. Add things to your kit each time. Get a gps mapping app or a garmin and use it on walks around your neighborhood before you try it outdoors. I am lucky to have a friend who is a mapping and route finding whiz, who I actually met from this forum. I realized after going out with him how much I need to learn about that before I can do long distance solo excursions safely. When I was getting into backpacking and getting out in remote wilderness, I probably looked like a woman going on an overnight trip, holding 3 suitcases. Each time when I got home, I pulled the things out that I didn't use and didn't take them on my next trip. I've whittled my pack/supplies down quite a bit. What state do you live in? Depending on where you live, and I would contend that most states are this way, you can find really remote dispersed camping without having to go that far from you car. You don't need a gun unless you are going to be around grizzlies, so don't let a lack of firearms training stop you. Bear spray actually works. We have lived as wild men for longer than we have been civilized and the skills you need are innate. You have the knowledge biologically hardwired into your dna. 

When I go into the forest, it might take an hour or so, but at some point my senses turn on and I hear the sounds more clearly and feel very at home. I would assume this is the result of unplugging from the grid and eliminating the world of shiny distractions that surround us in the concrete world we inhabit. Tap into your primitive self. I promise, it's in there somewhere and probably a lot closer to the surface than you are giving yourself credit for. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it's stagnated a bit. I've been into this subject close around 40 years now... watched and read most of what's available, probably multiple times by now.

I don't see much need anymore in watching the ones in it for money like tv shows, books etc since imo, BF is worth more as a mystery.

If the mystery is solved after the 1st flurry of attention then it's no big deal and there goes the cash stream/ trickle  from viewers/ readers after the "new" wears off.

Kind of like when the" gubmint" acknowledged UFOs , the world barely blinked. If that had happened in the 70s or 80s it would've been much bigger news.

What does fan the BF flame now , however, is the recurring reports from private individuals with nothing to gain, a reputation to lose yet still come forward because they saw something that left them with more questions than answers.

Those are the people ,if they're willing,  to talk to or read up on and you wouldn't need big budget outdoor gear to do that.

• Upvote 1

Two copies of Delorme Gazetteer for Oregon. One is 'coffee table' mode for planning and it stays clean. The 2nd Gazetteer is the working copy for field use = dog eared, tattered, and stained from beverages. They used to be about $20 but I noticed that they are about $26 or more now. Garmin bought Delorme in 2015--2016.

A small audio recorder operating in your vehicle day and night could be revealing. Campsites translate to human(s) with food and animals will be curious. Check your local regulations for bear proof food storage containers even if your food is in your vehicle.

Bear spray has vegetable oil as the carrier for the irritant. No practice shots.  You will get a bear due to the small residue on the nozzle. A small amount of vegetable oil goes a long way.

No need for camo clothes because the birds will give your location away.

Small steps.

Edited by Catmandoo
text