Something I've honestly never considered...

CelticKevin

So my wife and I went to the "Sensing Sasquatch" exhibit today at the High Desert Museum near Bend,Oregon. It wasn't much but it showed the spiritual side of it from several Native views. Featured Native artists had quotes near their work, and this one struck me.20240309_120717.thumb.jpg.b241af1bbe4b4241b996f4cff9ce877d.jpg

Honestly, how foolish am I for never considering that anyone... besides the feds...would actively seek to destroy evidence to protect the species? I guess i was so blinded by my notion that most everyone...besides the feds... actually would like the existence of these creatures proven. Thoughts?20240309_121125.thumb.jpg.68880fdc5f2181d52a014817e70821d5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, CelticKevin said:

So my wife and I went to the "Sensing Sasquatch" exhibit today at the High Desert Museum near Bend,Oregon. It wasn't much but it showed the spiritual side of it from several Native views. Featured Native artists had quotes near their work, and this one struck me.20240309_120717.thumb.jpg.b241af1bbe4b4241b996f4cff9ce877d.jpg

Honestly, how foolish am I for never considering that anyone... besides the feds...would actively seek to destroy evidence to protect the species? I guess i was so blinded by my notion that most everyone...besides the feds... actually would like the existence of these creatures proven. Thoughts?20240309_121125.thumb.jpg.68880fdc5f2181d52a014817e70821d5.jpg

Well this person seems to be confused. Typically apex predators go first in a eco system. Wolves and bears in Europe. Tigers in India. Tigers in Siberia. Grizzly Bears in the western USA.

The eco system lives on without them in a modified state. Typically with humans historically assuming the role.

There is certainly a debate within Bigfootdom as to what is best for the species. Many coming down on the side that discovery would be bad for the species. I on the other hand point to many many species that have been saved from public concern and funding. The Mountain Gorilla for example.🤷‍♂️ If the Mountain Gorilla remained a cryptid? They would be gone by now.

• Upvote 2

Good topic CelticKevin!  We see so much about the search for proof and many people that never ‘officially’ report, or delay reporting their sitings for many years, but I never really thought much about anyone deliberately destroying evidence.  I would say that if they feel strongly that that is the right thing to do then, that is their prerogative.

It might be time to stop comparing Sasquatch to Gorillas so much.  Perhaps the two have far more differences than similarities??

2 hours ago, norseman said:

There is certainly a debate within Bigfootdom as to what is best for the species. Many coming down on the side that discovery would be bad for the species. I on the other hand point to many many species that have been saved from public concern and funding. The Mountain Gorilla for example.🤷‍♂️ If the Mountain Gorilla remained a cryptid? They would be gone by now.

And I would have to agree with you to a certain extent. On one hand I think they have been doing fine without our help for hundreds of years. But I also think that with "discovery" comes, as you say, public concern and funding that would enable preservation and deep study. I'm sure that if physical proof came to be, there would be hunters out trying to score a Squatch (imagine the taxidermist bill). But for the most part, I think the species would be better off. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

Good topic CelticKevin!  We see so much about the search for proof and many people that never ‘officially’ report, or delay reporting their sitings for many years, but I never really thought much about anyone deliberately destroying evidence.  I would say that if they feel strongly that that is the right thing to do then, that is their prerogative.

I totally understand her feelings and motives behind her actions and agree it is her prerogative. But part of me is saying, "****! How much more we could learn if not for folks like you lady!" 

14 hours ago, xspider1 said:

It might be time to stop comparing Sasquatch to Gorillas so much.  Perhaps the two have far more differences than similarities??

I am not comparing Sasquatches to Gorillas in any way other than endangered species being pulled back from the brink of extinction because of public support. I could have used a Grizzly Bear instead or a “save the whales” campaign.

The point is is that cryptids don’t get funding or land set aside for them. Real endangered species in recent times do!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CelticKevin said:

And I would have to agree with you to a certain extent. On one hand I think they have been doing fine without our help for hundreds of years. But I also think that with "discovery" comes, as you say, public concern and funding that would enable preservation and deep study. I'm sure that if physical proof came to be, there would be hunters out trying to score a Squatch (imagine the taxidermist bill). But for the most part, I think the species would be better off. 

We have no way to quantify if they are doing well or not. But I am sure the loss of habitat along the I5 corridor, the loss of salmon runs, the Mt. St. Helen’s eruption, etc have all had impacts on their population.

It would be my hope that if the species is recognized by science that it would be Federally protected.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, norseman said:

We have no way to quantify if they are doing well or not. But I am sure the loss of habitat along the I5 corridor, the loss of salmon runs, the Mt. St. Helen’s eruption, etc have all had impacts on their population.

It would be my hope that if the species is recognized by science that it would be Federally protected.

I say i think they're doing alright as the sightings and evidence keep coming. I would think the things you mentioned would impact them a bit. But i would think they are fairly adaptable and do migrate to better areas for food and cover. Perhaps, if others act as this one Native lady does, they find forest on restricted Tribal lands to be the best refuge as they know "hunters" are not welcome. And if they are pretty much left alone by the indigenous peoples...it'd be ideal.

• Upvote 1

That brings an interesting scenario to mind.  Suppose one finds very convincing trace of Sasquatch on their own property.  And suppose they really like their property, they have roots there and a house, etc. that they do not want to leave even IF the Gov’ment paid them a fair price.  What if they were concerned they might be forced to leave so that their property could be declared a wildlife sanctuary.  Or, if the Gov’ment wasn’t interested and they were concerned about poachers?

Would they tell anyone that they did not trust 100% to keep it in confidence?  I bet that a lot of people, if not the majority, in that situation, would not want the word to get out, ever.

Edited by xspider1

On 3/10/2024 at 12:09 PM, norseman said:

I don't know if federal protection is needed for a species that has never had a body turned over to science/the authorities in the first place. Now if you mean land being protected for the species, thats a different conversation. It all boils down to what these magnificent creatures are - hominid, ape or other. 

2 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

I don't know if federal protection is needed for a species that has never had a body turned over to science/the authorities in the first place. Now if you mean land being protected for the species, thats a different conversation. It all boils down to what these magnificent creatures are - hominid, ape or other. 

That has never had a body turned over....that we know of. LOL

6 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

Which is just a vicious cycle.

We cannot classify a species that has not been discovered. Therefore we cannot afford them any protection under the endangered species act. Or the Bureau of Indian affairs for that matter, if you prefer. Until proof is presented? They reside in the realm of Pixies and Gnomes. And no one is going to stop a freeway project or a new dam project for a Pixie or a Gnome.

So right now it’s a crap shoot. With no scientific data to back up any of our conclusions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know why anyone would take the position they are doing well ,  I think they are dying off with less and less sightings 

On 3/11/2024 at 7:06 PM, xspider1 said:

That brings an interesting scenario to mind.  Suppose one finds very convincing trace of Sasquatch on their own property.  And suppose they really like their property, they have roots there and a house, etc. that they do not want to leave even IF the Gov’ment paid them a fair price.  What if they were concerned they might be forced to leave so that their property could be declared a wildlife sanctuary.  Or, if the Gov’ment wasn’t interested and they were concerned about poachers?

Would they tell anyone that they did not trust 100% to keep it in confidence?  I bet that a lot of people, if not the majority, in that situation, would not want the word to get out, ever.

Every tale I have read when that happens the humans never do well in that close of a proximity to them . This is of course if you believe the stories .