Something I've honestly never considered...

CelticKevin

i imagine 'foot wouldn't want to tangle with a big kodiak bear, though they could probably kill and a eat a smaller black bear

Grizzlies take down fully grown bison, even bulls. But mostly they'll take calves. Young. It's the springtime harvest for them. They even eat their own young.

could 'foot and griz/brown bears perhaps coexist? Have some kind of a pact like "you keep away ffom me and I'll keep away from you". 

It's possible that they may share a meal, such as carrion, alongside wolves, coyotes and ravens?

3 hours ago, tork said:

could 'foot and griz/brown bears perhaps coexist? Have some kind of a pact like "you keep away ffom me and I'll keep away from you". 

It's possible that they may share a meal, such as carrion, alongside wolves, coyotes and ravens?

Little over 1 minute in.

14 hours ago, tork said:

could 'foot and griz/brown bears perhaps coexist?..........

Sure, just like black bears and brown bears at the edges of their primary habitats. But in habitats high in brown bear densities, I wouldn't spend time 'squatching'. Heck, I wouldn't even go fishing there. There are much safer places to go catch fish. I learned long ago to give them their space.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

have a not been on this site in a while. There's a reference on this discussion to Roger Knights calculating bigfoot population numbers using the same methods as two reports for grizzly bear numbers in two Alaska game management units. Is that on this site or elsewhere? I'd like to see this. After looking at those two reports I don't see how you could do it with bigfoot evidence and would like to see how he did it. 

Thank you

9 hours ago, scottv said:

..........There's a reference on this discussion to Roger Knights calculating bigfoot population numbers using the same methods as two reports for grizzly bear numbers in two Alaska game management units. Is that on this site or elsewhere? I'd like to see this..........

I remember Roger Knights participation with Bigfoot Forums 1.0 and his estimate of sasquatch population densities as a ratio to black bear population numbers (1 sasquatch to 200 black bears), but I don't know if he documented that estimation elsewhere. I'm also unfamiliar with any discussion of his on sasquatch population estimates related to brown bear population estimations in Alaska. 

Bear populations in Alaska are estimated differently depending on the geography of the particular unit they inhabit. If they habitat wide open areas with limited vegetation cover, they might be counted by air (line transect survey). If in thick forest, they might be counted by capture-mark-recapture. 

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=814#:~:text=Another efficient method researchers have,them to estimate the entire

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=273

None of these methods would work for sasquatch population estimates. What Knights used to correlate an estimate of sasquatch population numbers based upon the black bear population was a mathematical ratio based on the number of sasquatch reports in a given area against the population estimated black bear population of that same area.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. 

Ok, basically this is just a guess then. When I read the methods of the reports and saw they were using line transects and mark recapture using dna, I wondered how this could be applied to estimating bigfoot numbers. Line transects need reliable visual detections and collecting dna are both problematic to say the least with bigfoot. I wonder how he came up with the 1:200 ratio? 

2 hours ago, scottv said:

……….I wonder how he came up with the 1:200 ratio? 

He explained it in the original forum, but I forget the details. He definitely used sasquatch sighting reports, and he definitely used estimates black bear populations. Ideally he would have a way to count black bear sightings, but I can’t imagine how he could get such data. People don’t report black bear sightings. 

Right, no one reports bear sightings, but with bears you could just do visual transects for sign/bears and get a ratio of sign/bears seen per whatever unit you want to use (number seen per search hour, number seen per km etc) and compare that with known density number and use that as a ratio/ index to get a population estimate for an area with unknown bear numbers by doing similar transects for sign in that area. Could do the same with trail cameras (number of bears per day/night per camera). These are called index surveys. For bigfoot can't really do that. ........Not sure if I explained that well. 

Don't think it would be valid to use a black bear index to come up with a bigfoot index. Interesting to think about though. 

On 8/5/2024 at 9:47 PM, norseman said:

Little over 1 minute in.

That one has always gotten my attention.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2024 at 12:47 AM, norseman said:

Little over 1 minute in.

Thanks for sharing. That is certainly one possible reason there are no specimens to analyze. Even Bears stay clear