What If The Dna Comes Back Predominantly Human?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kronprinz Adam

So what if the DNA reports come back predominantly human, or something similar, and the government does step in? What will that mean to the organizations that are using it for financial means? Say the government comes in with a bunch of regulatory legislation, including protecting this species from harassment? What about these places that are charging for Bigfoot excursions? What about the self proclaimed experts who don't hold the credentials to legitimately call themselves experts? I can see where some people stand to loose a lot of money here, loss of "charity" funds,no more charging three to five hundred dollars a pop to stack up groups of Bigfoot hopefuls,seriously,this could upset a whole industry here.

If Bigfoot's DNA simply turn out to be equal to human's, then I would suggest "hoax" or "contamination"...if a researcher finds human DNA, then the specimen that produced that DNA was a human!!! I think a human DNA obtained from a sample should be inconclusive, and more samples have to be taken and verified, before concluding that Bigfoots are 8-feet hairy super-strong howling humans...

DNA is either human or non human. Chimpanzees apparently have similar makeup to people, yet they are obviously not human. I suppose if you did a DNA sample and it came back as human then 1) it was contaminated 2) it was from a modern human 3) it was fake. From what I can tell, Bigfoot is obviously not human as we know it. I believe him to be some sort of ape like offshoot and not in the same lineage as modern man.

I guess I should have been more specific when I started this thread, and said, "what if it comes back Homo_______?"

As is pointed out in the BBC documentaries, we live in a rare time, during most of Homo's history there where several Homo's on the planet,only now are there apparently just one.

Guest Bipedal Ape

I have a funny feeling this DNA evidence (if it ever comes out) will be something like "human like" and will be just like all other bigfoot "evidence". The believers will say it proves without a doubt the existance of bigfoot, the scientists will say this proves nothing. The search will continue.

I guess I should have been more specific when I started this thread, and said, "what if it comes back Homo_______?"

As is pointed out in the BBC documentaries, we live in a rare time, during most of Homo's history there where several Homo's on the planet,only now are there apparently just one.

I tend to class any Homo species to be human. They all made tools and were anatomically nearly identical with us. If the DNA comes back human (Homo) I'd be very much surprised and curious to boot. I do expect it to come back very close to human though. If it comes back Homo sapiens I would figure we'd been played or errors were made.

I don't know Antfoot, we will have to wait and see I guess,although I wonder sometimes,because a wiener dog is a dog, and so is a mastiff, we certainly have some examples of variance there,admittedly manipulated, but still an example of extreme variance.

Edited by JohnC

Funny you mention that. I just got my Nat'l Geo mag yesterday and the cover story is canine genetics. Most dogs look pretty much alike when they're newborn just like most humans do. Most canine differences seem to be generated by a mere one, two, or three gene combo as opposed to some human variations which seem to require numerous genes to work together. This is probably due to domestic life in which dramatic variations aren't penalized by the natural world. BF in the wild is subjected to the elements and privation like humans once were. I suspect most of their characteristics depend on cooperation or interaction between numerous genes like ours do. I'd be very surprised if they were only a few genes different from us.

Guest wudewasa

The believers will say it proves without a doubt the existance of bigfoot, the scientists will say this proves nothing.

Finding Bigfoot episode # blahblah - Nestled in Nucleotides

This DNA sequence is squatchy as hell, therefore, it is my expert opinion that there's a squatch in these genes and scientists are ignoring it!!!!!!

BFF Patron

RUNX2 (putative skeletal hypoplasias among others), along with FOXP2 (lang. marker) and MC1R (red hair, heat susceptibility, pain threshold)........

are several of the markers listed as possibly being investigated currently among possibly others. What do we know about them? Here is one interesting reference:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20648631 that discusses the problems with deletions of RUNX2........

Cleidocranial Dysplasia (CCD) is an autosomal dominant skeletal disorder characterized by hypoplastic or absent clavicles, increased head circumference, large fontanels, dental anomalies, and short stature. Hand malformations are also common. Mutations in RUNX2 cause CCD, but are not identified in all CCD patients. In this study we screened 135 unrelated patients with the clinical diagnosis of CCD for RUNX2 mutations by sequencing analysis and demonstrated 82 mutations 48 of which were novel. By quantitative PCR we screened the remaining 53 unrelated patients for copy number variations in the RUNX2 gene. Heterozygous deletions of different size were identified in 13 patients, and a duplication of the exons 1 to 4 of the RUNX2 gene in one patient. Thus, heterozygous deletions or duplications affecting the RUNX2 gene may be present in about 10% of all patients with a clinical diagnosis of CCD which corresponds to 26% of individuals with normal results on sequencing analysis. We therefore suggest that screening for intragenic deletions and duplications by qPCR or MLPA should be considered for patients with CCD phenotype in whom DNA sequencing does not reveal a causative RUNX2 mutation.

Other than short stature above, the others seem interesting. What could be some other conditions association with this gene expression?

Now Lindsay is saying some sample from the studies showed "the steak" has come back almost 90% human whatever that means.........

Edited by bipedalist