Abandoned Mining Caves = Bf Den?

georgerm

The gold rush in the 1800's caused many prospectors to comb the rugged hillsides and hundreds of tunnels were dug. Some of the mines are in good shape and would make great dens for BF. These mines are in some of the most remote areas and are now overgrown. These tunnels are located along old trails in many cases and old maps may reveal their locations.

Somewhere I ran across a list of abandoned mining caves in Oregon and other places with minerals. The BLM keeps track of mining caves and listed some of the abandoned ones.

These areas would be good places for camera traps. Check out mining tunnels with caution.

This may be one way to locate BF but who has the courage to enter a deep dark mine with biggie in there?

post-447-074473300 1326867866_thumb.jpg

Edited by georgerm

Be very careful poking around in these areas. They are dangerous in the extreme. Growing up as the son of a geologist in northwestern Nevada, and hearing about one or two kids dying in abandoned mines every year, I do not recommend entering any of these mines. Each of these abandoned mines was abandoned for a reason. When they were dug, they were generally dug by untrained personnel in an unregulated environment. As a result, the ceilings are often unstable, and after decades, perhaps as many as fifteen, the timber supports on the ceilings may be rotted and can give way if touched, or from simple vibrations. Collapse is only one danger. Most of the people who have died have fallen down shafts to their death from the fall, from being buried at the bottom by falling rock, or from simply not being able to climb back out.

In some locations they are the perfect den for venomous snakes, venomous spiders, and may be used by predatory mammals. I've only been in a couple. The first exploring on my own, the second with my father, who took me to one that was a rattlesnake den to impress upon me that I should stay out of any others I found. To this day the scene at the end of True Grit where the gal falls down the shaft gives me serious creeps.

• Upvote 1

I have seen reports of people seeing bf either inside or coming out of caves/mines/tunnels. I personally would not venture into a old mine like that.

Admin

I have seen reports of people seeing bf either inside or coming out of caves/mines/tunnels. I personally would not venture into a old mine like that.

I think they use them at times, but you will not catch me going in one. Way too dangerous to explore to any depth, i.e. two feet past the entrance.

Guest openureyes

Dangerous yes I agree but a good place to set up cameras a good place for a bigfoot to live, sleep, hide again i agree. Many people want to see a Bigfoot so bad they don't care about venomous snakes or any other risk. Even after their existance is accepted and laws are made to protect them there will still be foolish people going out trying to hunt them just to bring home a trophy.

Guest squatchrider

If these mine shafts are really so unstable, and I believe they are based on what people say, would this really be a good place for a very tall and heavy creature to hang out? Wouldn't they learn quickly that these shafts are dangerous to use?

Guest openureyes

If these mine shafts are really so unstable, and I believe they are based on what people say, would this really be a good place for a very tall and heavy creature to hang out? Wouldn't they learn quickly that these shafts are dangerous to use?

Good point

They may know mine shafts are unsafe but maybe they find small prey living inside and perhaps they do die occasionaly in a cave in. Some people beleive they live in caves so they would be acustom to the dangers.

Who said hunting BF is safe? Searching for BF is for the most rugged men and women who dare to go where BF goes. Yes, searching for Bf has its dangers, but you have to go where BF hangs out whether it's up steep cliffs or old mines. BF is hard to find because it's smart and knows puny humans stay on easy walking ground in the forest. BF knows steep slippery ground with boulders and scratcy branches is where to get away from humans. Rock climbing is dangerous, but the danger is reduced with experienced climbers who know what rock is stable and which is not. Same with mines. Some mines are dug through solid rock, that doesn't cave in while others are of fractured rock where pieces fall out of place and go boom!.....being in the know = safety................who said finding Bf is easy and safe anyway?

For Bf to occupy and bed down in a mine does not require going clear to the end of a 300' long tunnel. BF isn't stupid either! It makes sense that BF only needs to go back around 30' in a tunnel, throw down some branches, cover them with moss, and it's good to go.

With a good flash light, BF chasers could peer into a cave and look for bedding or other signs. Some of these mines are in the most remote places of the Pacific Northwest and the trails that connected them are over grown. Seems like a great place for BF to den up in the cold winter.

post-447-013402900 1327030577_thumb.jpg

Guest parnassus

Dangerous yes I agree but a good place to set up cameras a good place for a bigfoot to live, sleep, hide again i agree. Many people want to see a Bigfoot so bad they don't care about venomous snakes or any other risk. Even after their existance is accepted and laws are made to protect them there will still be foolish people going out trying to hunt them just to bring home a trophy.

Cameras??? why would you set up cameras? cameras have been around for over a hundred years and no clear images of "bigfoot" have ever been obtained. Millions of trailcams out there and not one of them has ever gotten an image of bigfoot. Why would you think that one set up near a mine would accomplish the job?

But I do think that it is possible that if bigfoot is messing around mines, that would account for its extreme rarity. :)

Guest KentuckyApeman

Since BF didn't require these type of shelters over the past 7000 years, I think they can make do without them now. Not saying an occasional BF won't slip into a cave or mining shaft if the opportunity is there. But they seem to have gotten by quite well without them over time.

Many mines in the Pacific Northwest contained complex ore which contained gold, silver and mostly copper in an alloy form. As these old ore veins oxidise (green corrosion like on a penny) they deplete the oxygen in the mine shaft. Go too far back in a mine like this, and you may not come out! Lava gas bubble caves are a safer choice to explore.

Guest KentuckyApeman

Lava gas bubble caves are a safer choice to explore.

So the lava gas bubble caves are the place to go? Ok....... :blink::unsure::o

Guest openureyes

Cameras??? why would you set up cameras? cameras have been around for over a hundred years and no clear images of "bigfoot" have ever been obtained. Millions of trailcams out there and not one of them has ever gotten an image of bigfoot. Why would you think that one set up near a mine would accomplish the job?

But I do think that it is possible that if bigfoot is messing around mines, that would account for its extreme rarity. :)

PGF has not and likely never will be proven fake how do you know millions of trailcams out there and not one of them has ever gotten an image of bigfoot ?

BF is also reported in places with few or no caves or mines.

I have noticed in most monster hunting type shows when they do investigate some sort of cave there is no evidence of anything living in them aside from bats

BFF Patron

Or twelve inch Yonahlossee salamanders with glowing red eyes. LOL!

Been there done that.