Family, Friends, And Ridicule

Guest Twilight Fan

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was taking pictures one time in a bigfoot habitat area and a person who lived nearby asked if I was taking pictures for purposes of buying or selling the property. She had dollar signs in her eyes. Right greedy looking.

I said I was taking pictures of the bigfoot in the area. I will never forget the look on her face. Wow. Disbelief, contempt, surprise. And more contempt.

I am a birdwatcher, too, so now I say I am taking pictures of birds, and I carry a bird field guide to add believability. Or investigating nuisance wildlife, if I am feeling brash.

I don't tell anyone because it's private to me it's just the same as my religous belief. I don't go around talking about either one but if something were to happen like God calls a press conference on CNN, or a tribe of Bigfoot were captured then I'm coming out of the closet. :lol:

I don't tell anyone because it's private to me it's just the same as my religous belief. I don't go around talking about either one but if something were to happen like God calls a press conference on CNN, or a tribe of Bigfoot were captured then I'm coming out of the closet. :lol:

It is a dark and scary night....you find yourself in a small room with no light, no windows, and only one door. You somehow know opening the door will expose you to mass ridicule and then everyone will think you are a total ****!

Could this be a closet? It's very dark and frightening inside and you hear howls and screams...the click and whirr of cameras and recorders... Sometimes the whole place is shaken like a martini. ...you hear footsteps...bipedal footsteps...circling the closet. You find yourself shaking with terror.

Then the roof structure echoes with the sound of rocks bouncing across it......there are tremendous thumps against the walls that shake the room, and you hear eerie moans from outside....OMG there is something scratching at the door, a rattling at the doorknob, something brushing against the outside walls. Unearthly banshee shrieks fill the darkness. An unnamed fear suddenly fills your very soul...your head aches.....time shifts....you find you cannot speak or move at all. What is going on?

THIS is the Nightmare Closet of Honobia, the Enclosed Space of Secret Squatchers! (cue rumbe of thunderrr and CRACK of lightning)

Come out of the closet? GHahgh. No way!

No, but I DO mock my family members that watch 'Finding Bigfoot'! :lol:

Sometimes I mock MYSELF for watching it.

I don't have anyone that mocks me for my belief in bf. I have a uncle who does not believe in bf but he was respectful with me about it.

No, no one mocks me about it, certainly not family. But then again, I'm not in bigfoot mode when I'm around friends, family, and co-workers so it doesn't come up unless they ask me about it, then I'll talk their ear off. I figure if it is a co-worker, they may have a reason for asking so I try to draw them out.

Guest KentuckyApeman

Won't even touch it. It's like taxes or religion.

Or worse...."you married the wrong person!" That works great at a Thanksgiving Dinner. :blush:

Guest yetipathfinder

I have had people run the gamit from not ever talking to me again once they know that I am a believer,to being very interested in the topic. I mention stuff about what I know on the subject of bigfoot all the time. If people roll their eyes tuff,I do not give a dam. If they start to make fun of the subject even after I have presented a lot of info to them,I start get upset with them. Some people can not get their heads out of their ***** when you try to explain facts on this subject. I think it will take a major news conference to change their little closed minds.

I have one friend that subley and usually hummerously mocks me -which I don't mind.

Most of my friends and family are embarrassed that I believe in the Big Guy and try to coach me that it can't happen. Very few will come right out and ask how the search is going but I love it when they do as I can discuss it for at least 3 minutes before they look bored.

Most people will not really read or study the phenomenon but just flatly believe it cannot happen.

Guest Wookie73

i didn't really know how to respond in the poll as I am a skeptic yet I get mocked by some friends and family due to my interest in Bigfoot !!

( I marked yes as I felt it best kept with my situation in regards to the poll) The fact that I am on a Bigfoot forum and read all I can on the subject just baffles a few f my friends. but the derision is pretty good natured and never ugly or anything.

Edited by Wookie73

Guest Twilight Fan

Seems like a mixed bag of reactions so far! Thanks for sharing your experiences, guys :) Keep them coming. But the poll results don't lie; seems like the majority DO get (openly) mocked for their belief. Like Wookie73 said in a couple of posts above me, he is a skeptic who gets mocked for his interest in BF.

I too am a skeptic, and my family laughs at me for watching Animal Planet's "Finding Bigfoot"..but I laugh at myself too! I actually got my mother to watch a few episodes once, and she nearly went into a coma! It was NOT her thing. lol :lol:

My wife has been known to give me a good natured ribbing from time to time. But when we're out camping, and I tell her some of the stories from the classics, she doesn't seem to think it's so funny anymore, especially after the sun goes down. And of this, I remind her often enough. :)

I am an open minded skeptic so couldn't really vote.

Coincidentally, my wife also gives me a good natured rubbing from time to time.

Sorry couldn't resist...

This is my first post by the way.

People in my life that know me well know that I'm not one given to knee-jerk speculation and reaction. They also know that I'm a highly trained observer. Came with the territory in an infantry military career. Sometime I think people choose not to believe even when the source is someone credible and deep down they may even consider the persons account as plausible if not accurate. We like our lives neatly packaged and predicatable...by and large. The admission that Sasquatch could exist holds the prospect of introducing unwanted chaos into the lives of those type individuals. Easier to pull the covers up over the ears and squeeze the eyes of intuition and curiosity closed tightly then to face the reality of the cryptid itself. After all, if they are forced to admit that Sasquatch is real, what else in their collective lives now gets called into question? Where do we draw the line when myth becomes stark reality? For those that have seen them... well that first moment of recognition is mind-leveling. The powers that be grab your mind and shake it like an Etch-E-Sketch and you may spend years redrawing everything you thought you knew about the world.

Edited by Tautriadelta