The Heterodyne Hypothesis

Guest spurfoot

BFF Patron

No need to refilter, headphones should suffice. (if you don't hear it then, I guess you just don't hear it), as I said no skin off this researcher (in other words not posted to gain confirmation, I know what is in the file)....... just trying to stay on topic.

Edited by bipedalist

• 2 weeks later...

My Brother-in-law workds for an aerospace company. He tells me they are developing glasses/goggles

to assess the amount of pupillary dialation in the wearer. That is important because a human vigilance

system that kicks in before ordinary visual-perceptual processes can warn of danger, provides evidence

of the sensing of threat by pupil dilation.

If humans possess such a system, might not it be triggered by infrasound?

Does BF have such a system, too?

RE

Guest Prehistoric Fisherman
My Brother-in-law workds for an aerospace company. He tells me they are developing glasses/goggles to assess the amount of pupillary dialation in the wearer. That is important because a human vigilance system that kicks in before ordinary visual-perceptual processes can warn of danger, provides evidence of the sensing of threat by pupil dilation. If humans possess such a system, might not it be triggered by infrasound? Does BF have such a system, too? RE

Well, I think what they are working with is that the subconscious processes a lot more data than reaches the conscious mind, and reaches conclusions prior to that information being passed on to the level of awareness that we consider thought. Once information reaches the conscious mind we spend some additional time thinking about it at that level, and then whatever we decide to do is delayed by our reaction time (i.e., nerve signals reaching the limbs). So its possible that subtle responses like pupil dilation might occur prior to a human being able to react (say to adjust controls in a plane) by several seconds. So in an emergency situation, So if a plane can detect that the human senses a problem it might be able to react far faster than the human. The problem is that they are basing this off pretty generalized human responses (lots of things can make an eye dilate) and its going to be hard to create a computer program that can guess what the actual problem is based on that. But, the people doing this probably know a lot more about the topic than I do.

Could infrasound effect this? Yes, and if not presumably the eye-jiggle effect could be detected (assuming that's what's happening).

[Climbing out on a limb a bit more...] For myself, the physical effects of the (as yet unnamed) "BF presence phenomena" that I feel in these situations tends to be a bit different than what has been described, or from what I experienced playing the suspected BF infrasound file. What I tend to feel is a tingling sensation in my spine and head, which can be very unpleasant, and can itself be distracting at higher levels, normally coupled with a varying sense of intangible "danger", and for myself it often seems to have some sort of general directional component (correct or not). I have experienced ear flutter, but don't associate it with suspected BF presence. On the other hand, I can't remember the situations I've experienced "flutter" in, other than I think it has happened more than once. That I can't remember when the fluttering occurred is interesting, as I generally have a pretty good memory about unusual things that happen to me, however small. So, am I experiencing ear flutter but not associating it with suspected BF presence, or is something interfering with short term to long term memory transmission when I am experiencing ear flutter? I'm not sure, and I guess I'll have to pay more attention. In any case, this appears to be something generated by the BF conditionally, perhaps intentionally, perhaps unintentionally as a byproduct of what they perceive as stress. But I don't believe its always present when BF are near, it generally seems to gradually decrease when it does occur. I'm not sure if this is related to the contents of this thread or not, and have been considering if a more general thread on the phenomena isn't appropriate (I'm open to suggestions).

Guest vilnoori
If main-stream science made the bulk of its technical papers openly available to the public, instead of placed behind pay-walls, perhaps something equally detailed might have been found elsewhere.
-Prehistoric Fisherman

Hear, hear!

Jodie I too think there is some validity to the aquatic ape theory, and think it is a shame it is not taken more seriously. I think if it had originated from a credentialed scientist instead of a female layperson it would have been. Too bad!

Some thought can be taken about where in this scenario BF (Asian Homo erectus?) and other homins fit. They certainly aren't hairy, but they do seem to have more subcutaneous fat than other living primates other than humans. There are also multiple reports that they swim and are comfortable on shores and in swamps. They are certainly an upright "ape," but we have no idea about their ability to sweat etc. I suspect the hairlessness, sweating and so forth are more adaptations to an endurance runner phase in our development, and happened in Africa during the Homo ergaster stage. Perhaps another wing of H. erectus from Africa came to N. America via Asia, bypassing the savanna/endurance runner stage. All pure speculation, of course.

Guest Prehistoric Fisherman

Some thought can be taken about where in this scenario BF (Asian Homo erectus?) and other homins fit. They certainly aren't hairy, but they do seem to have more subcutaneous fat than other living primates other than humans. There are also multiple reports that they swim and are comfortable on shores and in swamps. They are certainly an upright "ape," but we have no idea about their ability to sweat etc. I suspect the hairlessness, sweating and so forth are more adaptations to an endurance runner phase in our development, and happened in Africa during the Homo ergaster stage. Perhaps another wing of H. erectus from Africa came to N. America via Asia, bypassing the savanna/endurance runner stage. All pure speculation, of course.

Good points. I worked this afternoon on a reply but its not finished (if you think reading my threads is 'murder', you should try writing them!). I did come across some useful information that sheds some new light on the topic, perhaps.

This topic really should go in a different thread. I brought it up because it points to the issue of similarities between BF and human airways, and related abilities. I will probably have a chance to do so and will make a new thread Monday, but others are welcome to start a "Bigfoot and the Aquatic Ape Theory" thread in the mean time (please drop a link here to its URL if you do so).

Apologies for the delay on my part.

Edited by Prehistoric Fisherman

Guest vilnoori

I'm still trying to come to terms with Homo georgicus, discovered in the early 2000's in the area between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. They are dated at almost 2 million years old, so concurrent with H. habilis and I think myself, rather more closely related to them than to the later erectus types. And again, similar to H. floresiensis, which seems to have survived almost until modern times in that island, and certainly were there 12,000 years ago (the end of the last ice age far to the North). These were tiny but canny people, with tiny brains, but used fire and small simple hunting tools to hunt sometimes formidable prey! They were very social, probably using organized or pack-style hunting techniques (that in itself is good enough to catch prey and also to develop a sharp brain). A close modern comparison could be made with the Pygmies of the Congo, who hunt socially with nets they have made from fibers found in the forest. Until contact with modern, bigger peoples they really had no need for hard, pointed tools in their environment!

Anyone notice in the thread about sightings by hunters the one mention of a "little people" type, in California? These are still going on all over, and especially in the Pacific Islands, Indonesia etc. Maybe "grasshopper man" is still out there!

• 1 month later...
BFF Patron

Tirademan linked to this webpage on a discussion about Nain Rouge (smaller primate like animal of legend and contemporaneous in Michigan) by David Claerr. At the same time there is an incident he describes West of Algonquin Park by a friend who was building a home in deep woods. It involves what is described as both infrasound and ultrasound with resulting physiological effects on the three people present in the home that night.

Guest spurfoot

Claerr's account contains information indicating actual infrasound emission, not heterodyned ultrasound. He mentions the windows rattling. That is proof positive that it was low frequency sound. He also mentions later in the howl that it transitions to a very high pitch. What that comprises can not be discerned from the account, but, it is obviously physically upsetting.

This link explains a phenomenon concerning binaural beats which can occur in the infrasound range as well. It can be hypnotic and alters brainwaves.

http://www.hypnoticmp3.com/binaural_beats.htm

Binaural beats can easily be heard at the low frequencies (< 30 Hz) that are characteristic of the EEG spectrum (Oster, 1973). This perceptual phenomenon of binaural beating and the objective measurement of the frequency-following response (Hink, Kodera, Yamada, Kaga, & Suzuki, 1980) suggest conditions which generate brain waves activity and altered states of consciousness (hypnotic trance).

There are a growing amount of research efforts reporting changes in consciousness associated with binaural-beats. "The subjective effect of listening to binaural beats may be relaxing or stimulating, depending on the frequency of the binaural-beat stimulation" (Owens & Atwater, 1995). Binaural beats in the delta (1 to 4 Hz) and theta (4 to 8 Hz) ranges have been associated with reports of relaxed, meditative, and creative states (Hiew, 1995), and used as an aid to falling asleep. Binaural beats in the alpha frequencies (8 to 12 Hz) have increased alpha brain waves (Foster, 1990) and binaural beats in the beta frequencies (typically 16 to 24 Hz) have been associated with reports of increased concentration or alertness (Monroe, 1985) and improved memory (Kennerly, 1994).Mind-Fit uses the differing rates of Binaural beat stimulation during the induction and therapy parts of its sessions to aid in the progressive relaxation acquired when entering the Hypnotic state.

BFF Patron

Claerr's account contains information indicating actual infrasound emission, not heterodyned ultrasound. He mentions the windows rattling. That is proof positive that it was low frequency sound. He also mentions later in the howl that it transitions to a very high pitch. What that comprises can not be discerned from the account, but, it is obviously physically upsetting.

Still he mentions a period of time during which the dog was thought to be responding to an ultrasonic or higher frequency of sound that they (the house inhabitants) did not seem to be hearing. So ultrasound was suspect and mentioned by him. This thread happened to be an easy place to put this link. Nothing more, nothing less.

For the record, since there was no recording of any of this ..... esp. with specialized equipment, I think it would be difficult to tease out the finer nuances. Rattling window panes very likely low frequency rumble plus body effects of breathing, headache and palpitations with fear and problems with movement like paralysis points to infrasound yes.

Edited by bipedalist

• 2 weeks later...
BFF Patron

Just some thoughts on sound perception and other senses that should be considered.

http://www.scienceph...Supersenses.pdf

A fun article on animal perception compared to technology. Bat detection devices can translate ultrasonic frequencies into those that can be heard by humans....

http://pw1.netcom.co...atDetector.html

http://home.earthlin...tector/Loggers/

http://home.earthlin...tector/Scanner/

http://www.agent-x.c...to-the-batcave/

Edited by bipedalist