The Heterodyne Hypothesis

Guest spurfoot

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BFSleuth

This sighting report describes two BF's "close together gently swaying and humming (singing) a diatonic type of moan."

I think diatonic singing would be more harmonic than the heterodyne effect. I may be wrong about this, but it is interesting to note that they would use some kind of harmony while humming or singing, not to mention swaying with the music.

BFF Patron

Funny that the investigator didn't ask for clarification on the glowing eyes of all things. Wonder what keys or notes were included in the diatonic..... in terms of frequencies.

• 3 months later...

Fascinating stuff...

What I've been wondering lately, is if IF effects are more due to the vagus nerve and it's attachment to the stomach...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve

Just read up on that nerve the other week, following a completely different subject/line of inquiry and the range of effects from disturbance to it seemed highly familiar.

So, hypothesis would be that stomach acts as a resonant chamber for receiving ultrasound which vibrates the vagus nerve, causing various odd effects...

Now note that response to stimulation may be amplified by "relative" dehydration, which IMO is kinda likely in hikers, and other outdoorsmen... so drinking until your back teeth float may offer some resistance. Also there might be temporary relief by holding the breath or "bearing down"

Interestingly some motion sickness remedies, note http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopolamine seem to act on it, so possible that something like gravol would also, but it's also possible it would intensify it also. It seems to be one of those things where if you either overstimulate or understimulate it you get similar effects...

Guest spurfoot

Flashman, Interesting that you mention the vagus nerve. It runs along the length of the left carotid artery. By gentle manipulation of the nerve with the hand, it is actually possible to influence the heart. This happens to be important to me.

I have the rare Wolf-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome wherein the heart sometimes starts beating fast and irregularly. I simply reach up to the vagus nerve with my right hand and manipulate it. That maneuver is often successful in stopping the irregularity. It is an accepted medical maneuver. I'm fortunate in that the WPW event happens only a few times a year in my case. That is good because it can result in sudden death. Because it happens so seldom for me, it is not worth having the transarterial catherization and cauterization of part of the sinus nerve by RF energy. That procedure itself involves a little bit of risk and it isn't worth it to me. It is worth it for people who experience WPW more frequently.

Anyway, all of this could be relevant to the BF sound issue.

BFF Patron

Well just to put in my two cents as a witness and freqeunt experiencer of the phenomenon, I still think vestibular stimulation from infrasound is the bigger player but haven't been involved in physiological studies of the matter. I don't discount there could be some form of heterodyning element too.

But, I can not deny that I had more than a very few heart palpitations and racing associated with episodes of infrasound which became very frequent both before and after sighting events for months on end (actually several years with a few respites). You can place your money on epinephrine/adrenalin as being implicated as well I guess, so who really knows.

All I know is that it is good to not have to experience such stuff on a regular basis.

BFF Patron

And, what's your point?

BFF Patron

Hey bud that's my point, I've done the reading. You edited your initial post to clarify (after you read my question, which was just that). Thanks for the answer, no thanks for your other suggestions.

So did you read the other 97 posts in the thread (I DID)? Never mind, I know the answer to that question, it's obvious based on your tone.

Edited by bipedalist

Your tone is condescending to say the least Bipedialist.

My point was that two tones in harmony or dissonance produce other tones of different frequencies. Why does that get your hackles up?

Guest BFSleuth

.... well, it may be because this entire thread is predicated on two dissonant tones producing other frequencies in the infrasound range. So it might follow that your restatement of this on the fourth page would beg the question,.... ".... and?"

BTW I lost control of my fingers in last post and they typed ultrasound when I meant infrasound for what the stomach may resonate to.

I just got thinking earlier about "blowing raspberries" it is something apes can do, and also something that seems to be a universal insult among HSS... and one can get them into the range of infrasound... I'm just wondering if it is sort of subconsciously known that a loud enough, low enough "raspberry" can make the target feel ill... though mostly common experience would indicate that raspberries are mostly used in jest... but what if this came from "serious" rapsberrying practice in the past?

Guest BFSleuth

The amplitude required to have effect on living tissue. It takes exposure to 115 Db or greater level infra sound to produce measurable results. How loud must the original sound be to get the harmonic sound frequencies into the ranges of amplitude (Db) required to have effect?

http://ntp.niehs.nih.../Infrasound.pdf.

Thanks for that link! I've got reading to do.

I'm by no means a sound expert, but it seems that standing waves increase in amplitude from surrounding waves. The heterodyne hypothesis I think has to do with creating standing waves, so if my first statement is correct (and any audiophiles please correct me) then it may be possible to create infrasound with a greater amplitude than the original tones generated.

Many of the sighting reports that note BF vocalizations have reported that the sound is at times so loud that you feel it in your body. I once had the fecal matter scared out of me (not literally...) by a tiger at a zoo that roared within 20 feet of me. They are said to have infrasound capability, and that hit like a baseball bat in my whole body.