Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Nice hiking weather over the weekend, and hope everyone else had a great long weekend too!

I set up a Camera Trap in an area where I have been finding a lot of footprints, along a creek corridor that drains from the hills West of town, and eventually into the Colorado River. Here's a beautiful Green Tree Snake that I found while setting up the camera.

Also, there was another sighting that was in Lago Vista proper, and even made a national TV show, however misidentified in the show as a huge Alien of all things......did anyone else see that?

post-193-0-53319200-1338312459_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-87372500-1338312488_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-45543700-1338312510_thumb.jpg

Nope......Bull Creek is located in Austin, and also drains into rhe Colorado River (aka Lake Austin), but many miles away, both by land & water.

Here are a couple of interesting impressions on the creek I am researching, and as usual.......looked much better live.

And a footnote to the texasbigfoot.com sighting on 1431, I tried to contact these folks to ask some questions, and offer to help, mainly to interview the witness on-site, but heard nothing from these guys. Wonder why? Those guys seem to have their own twisted agenda. Anyway, if they came into my area, would have to try my best to disarm them first.........no blasting away in the woods around here please!

post-193-0-83285900-1338390642_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-48265500-1338390662_thumb.jpg

This is an old picture from a buddy's game camera, and may have posted before. I was looking at it the other day, and zoomed in on it a bit. Even though not evident without zooming, once you start, you will see some very interesting eye shine towards the upper left of the picture. If this is indeed eyeshine, not a very long list of possibilities........check it out, hope it works in this format.

That doesn't work.......there's a much better way I'm sure to zoom in on the area in question, and save that image, but I'm to low tech to figure it out. I zoomed my computer screen, and took a picture of that.......worked better with the flash than without. I can email it to anyone interested, and you can play around with it. Might be nothing, just looked interesting.........notice the greenish 'eyeshine' to the left & up from the Bat.

post-193-0-66729200-1338833717_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-29448900-1338832462_thumb.jpg

Bigtex, it's just the reflection of the deer in the foregrounds eyes! I've got 6 deer feeders out and cameras on all of them and we get the same eyeshine ALL the time! Seen hundreds of photos just like it......"no Bigfoot here"!

Good story Coach.......weird things happen when the bug lug is around!

These look like really old prints, turned to limestone now......one looks human, the other kinda apey, and looking at the area now exposed from creek flooding, it appears one was after the other.

The other one.....looks human.

The first print looks like a dinosaur track. I know there are some good trackways in Texas. Any idea what the limestone unit is called?

Not sure I follow you bighunter43........do you have an example you could post, and explain the phenom a bit better?

Hey Belem, I have no idea on the limestone formation, but this particular layer has been exposed all along the Colorado River and the many creeks that feed into it.

Here's an interesting photo - it appears that (volcanic?) debris was falling from the sky, and one piece made a nice splat in the semi-liquid flow before it got hard, and preserved the 'splat'. I might be totally wrong, but that's what it looks like. And the other photos look to contain bone, but I'm not a geologist, so who really knows. Anybody out there please chime in on this.

post-193-0-37845300-1338905149_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-19569800-1338905169_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-15367800-1338905182_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-73747300-1338905192_thumb.jpg

After googling the Brazos it appears that you're near a famous dinosaur trackway. I'd bet that that one track in the limestone is a dino track. Nice find.

The photos you just posted look like concretions - the most common sort of false fossil. They're just iron mineralizations. Cool looking, but not fossils.

Tex.....it's easy! Look at the deer in the front and the bright eyeshine....it reflects back into the camera and appears like some Sasquatch is watching from the distance! Ive literally seen it a hundred times, and that's all there is to it. Sometimes we want to see things that aren't really there.........Don't feel bad, your not alone...check out this link ( when you look at the deer check out the same two eyes looking at him from behind)....I'll see if I saved any of my pics that I can post!http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CFQQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fs2.excoboard.com%2Fexco%2Farchive.php%3Fac%3Dt%26forumid%3D124725%26date%3D08-17-2009%26t%3D2053059-1&ei=fznQT9LfL6Ka2gXxrJ22DA&usg=AFQjCNE6ukC1uBYgcx35YE87y0qUMNoe4g

Edited by bighunter43
  • Upvote 1

Hey bighunter43......don't see things that I want to see, and am certainly not one of these 'bigfoot is everywhere' kinda folk, not by a long shot........just said the photo was interesting. Heck, the Bat looks fake to me for starters..

However, the distances & trajectory is all off to be a reflection of the Deers eyes.....way off. Maybe in other photos, but haven't ever seen any myself, and this pic doesn't appear to be one of those.

I wasn't trying to stir anything up Tex.....trust me....it's only the reflection from the deer's eyes! You have some of the best posts on here....didn't mean to make it an issue!!

Here is a copy of the photo with a grid applied, It can help with a comparison of the the two sets of eyeshine.

post-9-0-54393400-1339129424_thumb.png

I found one of mine I saved from last year. When my son gets back from "Boys State" with our laptop I'll see if I can post it.......I think it depends on the "angle" of the camera as to where the eyes show up in the reflection.....Tex, I for one, appreciate and look forward to your posts!!

Guest MikeG
I'd bet that that one track in the limestone is a dino track.

I'd bet that it isn't. (If it is definitely limestone, that is).

Limestone forms under the sea, and is never in a soft state on land such that anything could leave a footprint in it.

Mike

Mike G,

When I was a kid I'd visit my grandparents (just a few miles from Bigtex's area)...and we'd go see the Dino tracks in the South San Gabriel about a mile from their house. According to this article...most Texas Dino tracks are in Limestone, so I don't know....

Rock Sediments and Soil Facts

Rocks that contain tracks

Most Texas dinosaur tracks are in limestone that formed in shallow water at the edges of an ocean. Limestone is a type of rock created mostly by living things, such as calcareous algae, corals, oysters, and clams. Shells and hard limey stems and fronds were broken into sand-sized grains and even mud-sized particles. The sediment was deposited in the dry or shallow-water coastal environments where dinosaurs roamed. Storms would blow in and deposit new layers of sediment on top of the dinosaurs' footprints, burying the prints and preserving them.

Erosion and deposition of gravel, sand, silt, and clay

Dinosaur tracks are covered and uncovered by erosion and deposition of gravel, sand, silt, and clay. Fossil hunters love rivers because they cut down through rock layers and expose rock surfaces that have been buried for millions of years-although once they have exposed the fossils, rivers will continue to erode, destroying what they have exposed, eventually revealing the layer beneath.

The gravel, sand, silt, or clay that is deposited by rivers is called alluvium. Alluvium is classified first by grain size and second by what the grains are made of. Gravels have the largest grain size and in Texas are most commonly made of quartz, chert, and limestone pebbles. Sand and silt are composed mostly of quartz, and clay is composed mostly of clay minerals.

Limestone and mudstone. One key to good exposure of trackways is layers of soft mudstone on top of relatively hard limestone.

Photo courtesy of Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic