Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

BFF Patron

I think a screwier face such as Ace Ventura's would be more effective personally,.........but yeah that one sort of looks like Jesse Ventura (ex-Minnesota Gov.) lol.

Hey bighunter43.......thanks for the post! I am familiar with the Jaguarondi, and was not one of those. They are a Bobcat sized cat with shorter legs, and saw one near Uvalde Texas many years ago. A friend has a sanctuary in Boyd Texas, with about 75 large cats of most species, including the Jaguar. The cat sanctuary that I am referring to can be found at www.bigcat.org. My Jaguar experience was with Domino, and he can be found at the web site. He is different than most of the cats at the sanctuary because he is one of the most dangerous cats out there. Haven't been out there in years, but no one was allowed in his enclosure, might be different now, but I doubt it. I played with him many times as a cub , but he was getting downright dangerous by 6 months old, and I quit messing with him, as most did too. Most of the big cats out there were one time pets, and some very friendly & tame, including Lions, Tigers, Cougars, Leopards, and most all of the breeds there were human friendly. Not the Jaguars, they remain very wild and dangerous.

When I saw the Black Jag, could see the faint spots in the sun light pretty good......also, the Jaguarondi has more of a dull dark grayish appearance, and not the shinny jet-black color of the Black Jaguar. The one I saw was a big fellow too. He had been laid up in a cave just down slope from a ridge line that I had hiked up to the edge. I always through a rock down by the cave before I start hiking down the ravine, because it always looks used, and I find bones in there. Years & dozens of rocks later, and there was finally someone at home, as the Jag came flying out of the cave after the rock was thrown. He bolted down the ravine while looking over his shoulder at me, and appeared to be circling back around as he disappeared down in the underbrush. Needless to say, it was a stressful hike back to my truck. This experience also prompted me to (finally) buy my Rhodesian Ridgeback, which are breed to deal with large cats.

I will be checking some of the remote creeks for tracks today, as we have had some nice rain.

Edited by Bigtex

Biggie......I'm shaving my head today, and getting the tattoo....lmao, that might scare the big kitties though.

Lotta water out there now, and a welcomed relief. The once bone dry lake, full of water again, and a nice track close by.

Also.....took a new shortcut, and ran across this strange stone slab. Kind of hard to tell in photos, but was placed like a tombstone on a mound, much larger than a normal grave, and there seems to be some strange engraving on the front, more like symbols than letters, and very weathered. Anyone know about this kinda stuff?

post-193-021121000 1327947138_thumb.jpg

post-193-005803300 1327947161_thumb.jpg

post-193-062287700 1327947181_thumb.jpg

post-193-095584200 1327947294_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

Not sure about markings.. or at least visible from the photo. Looks like a naturally weathered stone, just unnaturally positioned.

A slab on top of a grave could be a "wolfstone" which keeps wolves from digging up your dearly departed and dragging them off. Which goes a long way in explaining animosity toward wolves.

Pioneers used these, the Puritan pilgrims...., anybody living in fresh wilderness area either put a big slab or a pile of rocks on top of a grave. On the trail, buried the dead right on the trail, under the packed, hard dirt. They may be or may not be engraved like a vertical tombstone.

Edited by Kings Canyon

This isn't my photo, but a friend took it near here in Texas at their Deer feeder.......pretty healthy looking kitty!

Where in Texas was that picture taken?

Please respond, I have a daughter living out there about 100 miles north of Galveston. :blink:

Hey bighunter43.......thanks for the post! I am familiar with the Jaguarondi, and was not one of those. They are a Bobcat sized cat with shorter legs, and saw one near Uvalde Texas many years ago. A friend has a sanctuary in Boyd Texas, with about 75 large cats of most species, including the Jaguar. The cat sanctuary that I am referring to can be found at www.bigcat.org. My Jaguar experience was with Domino, and he can be found at the web site. He is different than most of the cats at the sanctuary because he is one of the most dangerous cats out there. Haven't been out there in years, but no one was allowed in his enclosure, might be different now, but I doubt it. I played with him many times as a cub , but he was getting downright dangerous by 6 months old, and I quit messing with him, as most did too. Most of the big cats out there were one time pets, and some very friendly & tame, including Lions, Tigers, Cougars, Leopards, and most all of the breeds there were human friendly. Not the Jaguars, they remain very wild and dangerous.

When I saw the Black Jag, could see the faint spots in the sun light pretty good......also, the Jaguarondi has more of a dull dark grayish appearance, and not the shinny jet-black color of the Black Jaguar. The one I saw was a big fellow too. He had been laid up in a cave just down slope from a ridge line that I had hiked up to the edge. I always through a rock down by the cave before I start hiking down the ravine, because it always looks used, and I find bones in there. Years & dozens of rocks later, and there was finally someone at home, as the Jag came flying out of the cave after the rock was thrown. He bolted down the ravine while looking over his shoulder at me, and appeared to be circling back around as he disappeared down in the underbrush. Needless to say, it was a stressful hike back to my truck. This experience also prompted me to (finally) buy my Rhodesian Ridgeback, which are breed to deal with large cats.

I will be checking some of the remote creeks for tracks today, as we have had some nice rain.

You carry a Big Knife, a side arm, and a rifle, correct? Also a machete that is sharp enough to shave with? With all that, plus throwing rocks,you should/could/ may be safe. :( Yikes Twice.

Where in Texas was this?

I have a son posted at Fort Bliss.

Are there a lot of dangerous animals in that area?

He hikes a lot, and I don't remember him carrying any weapons with him. :(

I need to let him know about the resurgence of the Big Cats.

Hey Sweetsusig, no guns, just a knife, throwing rock at the ready, and the dogs.....around Texas anyway. When I'm up at my place in Washington State, my modified 12 gauge & Bear spray. I've talked about the rock before, and has probably saved me from 2 hog charges. Basically, you can get a baseball sized rocked heading towards danger faster than the steps necessary to engage a firearm, unless already in your hand, loaded, and ready.

I wouldn't worry about your daughter.....there must be plenty of natural prey in Texas, you just never hear about Cougar attacks, they seem to prefer the Californians:)

Found these prints today, pressed in hard drying river mud, then with a creek flow over them last storm, so the detail is not great. One is a large cat, probably a Cougar, and the big ole piggy he was stalking, both in a creek bed.

post-193-064313300 1327969580_thumb.jpg

post-193-026180700 1327969604_thumb.jpg

After all the rain, nice to find my pool finally full & clear, little cold to swim though.

Also found these creepy roots, and a probable Coyote den dug up into the left side, I didn't stick my head in there.

post-193-057414400 1328039658_thumb.jpg

post-193-081728200 1328039674_thumb.jpg

Hey TKD....yup, ended up with a Wolf-Hybrid, about 90% pure, and acts like no other dog I have ever been around. Everything is on high-gain; growth, strength, smarts, reasoning, speed, coordination......a truly amazing animal, and is all ready keeping up on long hikes with ease. She's only 9 weeks old, and is sweet as she can be.

Here she is guarding the front door, and making herself at home in my bed......she thinks she is a lap dog like my Rat Terrier!

post-193-041036900 1328046636_thumb.jpg

post-193-086643700 1328046653_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

Thanks, she's an amazing beautiful animal, and is already a member of the Pack (family).

post-193-084729200 1328545218_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

That picture of the wolf/dog *guarding* your front door by having her paws placed on it while sleeping was too cute.

Will she grow up to be a hazard to the neighborhood cats and dogs? :unsure:

Yikes, Do you even have neighbors? :ph34r:

I'm happy to hear that The Woodlands is a safe area since I have family members living there.

I told my daughter about the resurgence of the panthers, and she just sorta scoffed.

Perhaps I should forward your pictures to her... :blink:

That could work.

Where in Texas was the picture taken of the killed deer?

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic