Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Forgot to mention......I'll be heading up to my place near Granite Falls Washington on October 9th thru the 13th........any of you guys in that area interested in getting together, PLEASE let me know:)

BFF Patron

You camping up there?   Might be interested in checking out that area.   Maybe we could invite some skeptics and use them for bait? 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Seeing that print....made me think to ask.....has it been your observation that most prints are usually in areas where there's leaf litter, pine straw, grasses, etc. rather than in areas where the prints would be easy to spot....like a sand bar in a creek bed....or in bare mud flats (when there's ample water). I'm inclined to think that they avoid leaving prints in the relatively "wide open" spaces....just thinkin' out loud.

Dry creek bed.....just add water.  I'd expect that there's some pockets of water here and there....maybe not.  Would mean creatures are having to travel to get some!

LMAO SWW! Perfect job for a skeptic:) I was thinking of driving down the Mountain Loop Highway, take some logging roads, and see what I can find. Unfortunately, I am very limited on camping gear up there, dragged a bunch of stuff up there over the years, and just seems to disappear. I'm open for any ideas:) 

BFF Patron

I found a single print near a lake shore near Mt St Helens.   It was about 20 feet from the waters edge, headed away, and the only way it could have been left was by carefully walking on patches of grass and other vegetation up to that point.   At the point where there was nothing else to step on, it stepped in the mud, and left a single print before walking away using other patches of vegetation to step on.    My observations imply that BF makes great effort not to leave footprints so it would not surprise me that BF in Texas uses the same techniques by stepping on patches of leaves or other dry debris.      No other animal I am aware of does that in the field other than humans trying to avoid stepping in the mud.  Here is that print.    It is 15.5 inches.   The smaller one above and left is 8 inches

post-23549-0-62063300-1408557043_thumb.j

Hey HWM......there seems to be two Races of BF down here, and I find many more of the smaller sized prints, the big ones are either not as numerous, or more careful, and seem to stay away from the softer surfaces. My guess is that the smaller Race seems to stay in the area year round, while the big guys are more migratory. The print above was not on a trail, and was near one of the last remaining water sources in the area. I had noticed some ground disturbances coming down from a ravine, investigated, and found this one fairly clear print. It looked like something slid on its feet down the steeper part from the top about 25 feet, then jumped a ways, and this print was near the landing, and probably the 2nd step after the jump. I can tell you this, I would never ever try to slide and jump the distance this thing did.......no way. 

I have seen this before in another area, and took some good pics of the slide........I'll try to find those and re-post.

BFF Patron

A skeptic should not worry at all about being bait.      After all there is nothing out there to be worried about according to them.

I posted these before, but it's been awhile. The individual jumped from the rock ledge shown at top and with red arrows. Notice the two part slide, and found one fairly nice print at the more level landing area. The pictures don't really give an idea of the distance involved, and I can guarantee injury to any human who tried this move........it was impressive.

post-193-0-70267500-1408558237_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-71714600-1408558250_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-79212100-1408558264_thumb.jpg

Thanks to both of you - SWW & BigTex for posting those photos....and your input about my inquiry.  Makes perfect sense to me....and, IMO,... evidence of their "stealth-savvy".

Think maybe it overshot the somewhat-flat imbedded rock?  Either way,...it looks like it stayed upright......betcha ..not a speck of dirt on its hairy glutes! 

Maybe you could post an "Invitation - To - Enlightenment" or a simple "Help Wanted" - (Some possible requirements: bring your own skepticism, gear, food, transportation and extra underwear.)

BFF Patron

That picture is somewhat of an embarrassment to me.      I showed Meldrum the picture and he wanted casts.    I thought it too narrow to be a BF and although there is no sign of an arch I did not want to make the round trip trek back to my truck for casting materials  and did not cast it.    He looked at it carefully and said,  "You know of course that female BF have narrower feet than males do".    I had not really thought of that as other prints I have found that size were probably male and much wider.    Lesson learned is cast them and give the experts something to analyze.    My impression at the time was that the 8 inch track in the same picture was a juvenile.     That I potentially had a female adult with a related juvenile would have been pretty interesting to compare the casts.     It was fine mud so dermal features might have been present. 

Although I do have an open invitation to skeptics to do field work with me, there is a possibility that they will freak out when they see something that does not exist in their mind and do something to put myself in danger.    Thankfully they have not had much interest.   Why spend days in the woods when you can sit behind your computer and be clever?     

All joking aside,.......I wouldn't want a clever skeptic along for the ride anyway......nothing wrong with being skeptical.....but there's no need to ridicule people....which is quite the norm for a few of the so-called skeptics that frequent the forum.

Interesting,.... that tidbit Meldrum offered about foot widths of male/female. Not a bit surprising though, considering how so many other animals' male/female characteristics

differ like they do.  I hope to do some casting of my own in the future. I've done casts of various creatures' prints, in the past, but never a BF 

BFF Patron

From what he told me as a male gets heavier his feet and footprints get wider to carry the weight.    Also since the BF seemed to be walking patch to patch of vegetation it could have made a change in direction with that footprint and did not have it's foot squarely on the ground.   I don't think they like to step in the mud any better than we do.   Next time it rains up there at that lake I want to be there the day after.   The day after a torrential rain was when I got that print in the picture.    So I know the print was less than 24 hours old.    

I would be pleased to cast a BF print.......but VERY pleased to cast one and realize dermal ridges were included. I haven't tried to cast a print in fresh mud...that is,....

saturated with water. Are there any significant problems with the plaster setting up in those conditions?

I'm not sure......have never cast a print myself. They are cool, but they don't seem to offer proof of the species, so why do it? Plus to carry the items needed into the wilds, the time involved to make the cast, plus it's possible you are being observed during this process, and might not be a good idea for future research in the area........just my lowly opinion of course:)

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic