Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

What is that on the left in the last picture?  It looks like either an old well or an entrance to a cave?  Maybe this is landscaping.

This area does look like there has been flooding, so the trees may have just fallen over because the ground couldn't hold them anymore.  I know after one particularly wet season, I drove through a swamp where about every 3rd tree was on its side.

Hey JC......must be a shadow, no cave or well. This area is well above the 100 year flood plane, plus we have been in a drought for several years, and flood water hasn't been near this area since they built the Highland Lakes Dam's back in the 30's & 40's. This structure wasn't there 2 weeks ago when I went through there........it's just a weird structure, and I didn't jump the fence to inspect due to no trespassing signs.

Bigtex,

Looks deliberate and it could be a place where deer pass through so maybe the hairy people put a little detour up to make an ambush site????  That way the deer must slow down to clear the fence and when that happens well.........you know the rest.   Good lesson for the younger ones also????

BigTex...I always enjoy your photos and interpretations. On that pushed-over tree: I might tend to attribute that first to fenceline clearing. Whoever strung that would have had to clear it, line of sight. With a tractor and a log chain, your worker could have made short work of that...a little more effort with a come-along. And sure, a saw is quicker, but it won't kill the tree like tumping it over will.  

That said, it doesn't look like the fence stringer took much care to clear other scrub, so that does have to be considered.

Unfortunately, I can't go over the fence without permission, and can just see & take photos from the other side of the fence.

There are two other odd things going on at this same location, mentioned and pictured before.

First, there is an area on the fence line where the middle barb wires have been pulled up & down to allow easier access to the restricted area, and you can see a well worn trail. I always look for hair when going by.

Second, there is a Juniper that was twisted & pushed across the trail, making it difficult to get through......the tree still lives, with a before and recent photo.

The 'house' is right between these two other oddities, and in very close proximity to both, certainly within visual range of either.

post-193-0-39295000-1422986542_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-58374900-1422986564_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-90309000-1422986578.jpg

I've been trying to get a decent picture of where I was standing during my recent sighting, but having issues with light & shadows. Took this one the other day, at least shows better detail, and the red 'T' shows where the subject stood up before taking off......about 30 yards away. Also, a fairly fresh track nearby when I was over there the other day.

I had posted a while back some pictures of a dug up ground Hornets nest, which was unusual because the nest sections were not chewed, but instead appeared that the grubs were carefully picked out. Hiked by there the other day, had another look, and noticed two different sized grub cells from within the same nest.......just made me curious that there were two sizes of hornets being produced in the same nest, does anyone know about hornets? 

post-193-0-98935300-1423579931.jpg

post-193-0-01259500-1423579951_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-10355700-1423579972.jpg

If they're like bees, then one lot will be the regular workers/drones and the others will be queens to be, getting fed with royal jelly. Though there should only be a few of the bog ones compared to drones. Though also they could have nursery and kindergarten sections as it were, older grubs in bigger ones.

Found another Hornets Nest dug up, and the carefully removed grubs.......once again, large and small grub holes. Maybe another type of wasp (smaller) started the nest, and larger Hornets attacked and took over? I know when these are comin' after me, they all look one size, so who knows......but is is interesting.

Also of interest are these large flat rocks that seem out of place, and located in a particular area. They are too heavy for me to flip over, and would take 2 or 3 guys, or some leverage.......wonder if they are Indian burials, does anyone know about this?

And lastly, Lulu was very interested in something moving inside this cave right over a spring feed pool.

post-193-0-87251100-1424103651.jpg

post-193-0-96975900-1424103672.jpg

post-193-0-96523600-1424103697.jpg

post-193-0-96330000-1424103721.jpg

Here's my main grab when heading out the door, and the only thing I take 95% of the time.......an old military canteen from Ebay, with a cup, and burner piece, plus a lighter, fuel tabs, and some HD matches, all fitting into one piece carried on my belt......you got a water carrier, fire, and a way to sterilize water if you get stuck out there. Be sure and get one with the little pouch, red arrow, to carry your fire.

And don't forget the cell phone with a good camera, and a good video camera.......say cheez Sassy-Boy:)

post-193-0-28923900-1424125756_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-84128900-1424125763.jpg

Nice set... I miss the old surplus stores for stuff like that. They all started getting stocked up with new cheap asian camo* clothing, rather than surplus, and most of them around here died after that. 

* The kind of stuff you could buy cheaper in Walmart and better in Cabelos etc.

Doesn't help that the new digital service patterns are copyrighted and disposal restricted I guess. 

It's hard to find Army/Navy stores in my neck of the woods any more, the only one I know of off hand is in Whitefish, north of Kalispell and thats a four hour drive one way. Sportsmansguide.com has a decent amount of US and European military surplus, often at very good prices. They have been getting some surplus Multi-cam which beats the digital stuff anyhow and the services are no longer allowed to copyright camo patterns like MARPAT.

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic