Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

BFF Patron

She sounds fun.    I wonder if inbreeding has made dogs have a fussy stomach?      I have some neighbors that have Native American dogs.     They look like a cross between coyote and a dog.    They say they are hearty and rarely get sick.  

Probably so on the inbreeding, she also seems to know instinctively what all the medicinal plants are, eats them, and taught the other two dogs (and me) to eat them as well. Her favorite is a plant that I later identified as Heals-all......very interesting info if you search that plant.

Hiking with dogs is very rewarding......hiking with a wolf is off the charts, and hard to even begin to explain what a wonderful experience it is.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been raining.....thank goodness, went out yesterday, and some nice soft ground for tracks. Found what looked like a juvie track way, and here are the best of those.

Also, wolfy found a Raccoon inside a tree.......she was going crazy at the open slit, and he was too from the inside.

post-193-0-27453300-1426713586_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-30772000-1426713599_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-97291600-1426713705_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

Here's an interesting find yesterday, and hadn't seen this before. There is a particular larger species of Ant, not a Fire Ant, and lives in small colonies under rocks. I came across this one that had the rock over-turned, and the nearby stick looks like it was used to dig in the nest. The nest wasn't on any trail, and I found it by bush-whacking between two known trails to get from one to the other. Something with hands did this IMO, and appeared to leave an 6-7" juvie print behind. Nearby, also found a larger 14" track in the leaves.

First pic shows a rock with an undisturbed ant nest underneath for comparison......their entrance/exit holes can hardly be seen, as this particular ant species is very stealthy in hiding their nests. The other pics show the nest disturbed, with a stick apparently used to dig around. What was unusual, is the rock that the nest was under and shown, was carefully placed back over the nest........was this done for future cultivation of the ants and/or grubs........has anyone seen this before?

post-193-0-13588400-1427120044_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-49219100-1427120057_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-36723900-1427120067_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-66237100-1427120136_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-47874400-1427120165_thumb.jpg

Here are some more pictures from yesterday......here's a shot my buddy took of me crouched behind the tree where I recently saw the Sassy-man, very hard to see in the photo, but gives you an idea. I didn't see him crouched, just when he stood up and ran away. Here's a hunting blind that is illegal or old.........and lastly Lucy striking a pose, love this picture of her.

post-193-0-47280500-1427134925_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-72690100-1427135019.jpg

post-193-0-70595800-1427135043_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

• 2 weeks later...

Hiked all weekend.......nothing much to report except a nice patch of Morel mushrooms.......yummy fried up with some butter.

Stay tuned......I have some interesting night work coming up, will post more on that after the fact, should be interesting:)

post-193-0-28319400-1427839256.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

nice looking Morel.  We try and go every year to pick them in northern MI. 

Slight dusting in flour and cooked in butter...so so tasty.

I have wandered if they could be a food source for BF?

The areas we go to are definately off the beaten path most of the time, though occasionally we will find an area that has already been cleared out by someone else.  Never found any clear footprints because of leafy covering (human or otherwise)  but always assume they are human.

Yes.....very tasty Zman, and just the way you described:)

Here are some pictures of my female Rat Terrier and her 'baby'.......took her on as her puppy, and she still grooms Lulu everyday, and wolfy loves it!  

post-193-0-28177100-1428003267_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-88721900-1428003279_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

BFF Patron

Animals just amaze me sometimes. Very cute. Just goes to show that the pack can include all sizes. Of the two which is dominant?

The Rat Terrier is the oldest @ 9, and she tries to be Alpha over both the Ridgeback and Lulu.......rules with an iron jaw. Both have challenged her, and she just gives them that dog "really" look, it's pretty funny.

BFF Patron

I figured that was the case. Some little dogs just have no idea they are little.

Found a nice track way through the leaves, and here are two of the better tracks.......one of the big guys.

post-193-0-79140100-1428334650_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-54941500-1428334673_thumb.jpg

From the top-side view, your terrier looks much more Jack Russell than Rat,Tex. I owned a brown/white female Jack of about the same color/size/markings. I've owned three in my life. The "half-penny" marking over the tail is a dead give away. They absolutely should never be underestimated as unable to do anything. I saw a video the other day of one diving to the bottom of a 6' deep catfish pond and hauling a fish as large as it was out. I had an unneutered male Jack who was **** of the walk. I saw him once cower a Rottweiler into submission, and he kept iron dominance over a 100 unneutered male Golden Retriever I also owned. It is all about the attitude, and no dog knows how big (or small) it is, am I right?  

She has papers, from a very good blood line......and is listed as a Toy Rat Terrier. She is fearless and is ALWAYS hunting when in the woods. She is by far the best Squirrel dog I have ever seen......always find them, and can track them when they go from tree to tree high up in the branches.

There you go. They are admittedly very hard to tell apart. The "pricked" ears are undesirable traits in a Jack, but not in a Rat Terrier, I understand. Good dogs, both. Got to love a terrier of any kind. 

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic