Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Hiked over to the location of the picture above with 2 possible BF's hiding, and pretty sure that I found the area, but the camera, lens, focus, and lighting are off, plus the exact location & angle of the camera. If this is the area, then the large blobs in the original picture are not there. Also took a picture of the tree that was pushed over from both sides of the creek-swampy area, plus a huge pig track......lordy, don't wanna run across this brute.

post-193-0-50304500-1440591133_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-76395500-1440591156_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-82560800-1440591177_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-33975600-1440591192_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-63315300-1440591487_thumb.jpg

I can't adjust the perspective on the recreation shot but what I did was focus on the size and location of the dark branch overhead.

Some of the shape in question in original image is that dark downed tree. Some of it...maybe not?

(Click to animate the picture)

post-21915-0-20462600-1440595218_thumb.g

Edited by Redbone

Wow......great work Redbone, looks like the alleged BF on the left is part of the tree, even though the recreation camera direction is just slightly off, and needs to be a few steps to the left. The possible figure on the right was the more interesting one anyway, can you play with that one a bit more, and see if you can find the mass?

By the way......how do you get the photos to automatically go back and forth, that is a way cool, and very helpful effect! 

I use GIMP 2 photo editor. I imported both images in as layers - basically one over top of the other.

I made no adjustments to the size of the original image to keep the resolution in tact. I resized the recreation photo immensely. I expanded it from 1280 pixels wide to 6000 trying to make the overhead branch about the right size. I lined them up by aligning the branch and then cropped both layers. Next I exported it as a GIF animation with a 1 second delay between frames.

GIMP 2 is free and is a VERY powerful tool. I like it better than Photo Shop myself, at least for the stuff I need to do with it.

The problem with animations are that they always lose resolution when generated so they are never as clear as the original.

I don't see anything useful when I zoom in on the original with the dark spots but my saved version is 237KB vs the original 8M image.

Edited by Redbone

Howdy Tex,

What appears to be the body is actually the curved branch between the two trees on the right that form an "A" shape. I've circled the areas in the original image and your recreation. If you look closely at the original image, part of the foliage blocking the "body" is in the foreground but much of it is actually behind the trees. It displays the same amount of bokeh or blurriness and is the same round shape and color as the rest of the background foliage. I've outlined the same area in the two photos below.

post-22377-0-45946200-1440988586_thumb.j

The "head" and "body" appear to be part of the same branch, but without checking them on site it's hard to tell for sure. The juxtaposition seen in the first photo is due not only to the difference in camera position but also likely by the lens focal length. A telephoto lens foreshortens the perspective making objects appear closer together, front to back, than they actually are. It's the same effect that make the pitcher and batter in a televised baseball game appear roughly the same size when they are actually 60' apart. WRT the "fur" or "hair" I would agree that it is most likely an artifact caused by being out of focus and partially back lit by the sun striking the background foliage.

Hey Airdale.......thanks, we already deduced that a few posts earlier, the limb in question, and mentioned camera angles, etc., it's the figure on the right that is interesting, and nothing at the location to account for it. I bought a Rebel EOS the other day with the same lens used, and will do some additional experimenting with it.

Hey Airdale.......Redbone has a great comparison a few posts back where the original & recreation go back & forth. The first picture below shows a closeup of the two Blobs in the original picture, with the 'left blob' X'd out in red, as we now know it is part of a tree. The 'right blob' is outlined in red along the top, or perceived top of head, and down the right side, or perceived left shoulder.

The second picture is a crude recreation that just verifies the location correctly, even though the angle, camera, conditions, and lens are off. I went back over there Sunday to look around more closely, and specifically where the 'right blob' was located. There was nothing at the location that could account for the mass shown in the photo, and if it was something standing there, it would need to be 7' tall to be in the picture.

I just got my Cannon Rebel EOS with the same lens, which I've wanted anyway, and will do a better recreation in the near future. 

post-193-0-18888600-1441131483_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-83960900-1441131541_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tex, that one on the right eluded me. Good work from Redbone as usual. I've had an EOS Rebel T3i for a couple of years, always liked Canons. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you find with it.

It cooled off a bit yesterday to 90 degrees @ 5:30 PM, so took off hiking to one of my favorite ravines. It's an East-West ravine, so hadn't been over there since the end of May. The E-W ravines just get baked all day during the summer, and can get hotter than the normal high temps, which can get dangerous quickly.

Lordy, what a crazy day down in there! The Ridgeback & Wolfy found something at one of the Springs we hike to, as the water holes are few and far between this time of year. I keep a camera at the ready in my front pocket, but 'live action' often happens so fast, there just isn't time to get any meaningful photos. I didn't even see what they were after, just a huge commotion, and a crazy wild loud aggressive noise that I can't even begin to describe from whatever was down there. I was bringing up the rear post haste, but by the time I got there, all I could see was their butts disappearing into the thicket. Not another sound though, which seemed odd. I sat down by the Spring for about 5 minutes, and they finally showed back up all tuckered out.......picture of Lucy in the Spring drinking & cooling off after her chase.

I had been delayed getting there working through some 'spring-loaded' trail blocks on the trail above the Springs. I have shown this particular trail-block before, and is going on 5 or so years old. The way it was done, the tree still lives, the twisted large limb in question getting bigger & thicker, and harder to get through now. There is also a new trail-block located just before the old one, and done the same way with a spring-loaded living limb......very strange area, is someone guarding this Spring? Pictures showing old & new trail-blocks.

post-193-0-08735400-1441212654_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-77054900-1441212808_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-07143100-1441213087_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

Here's an interesting tree blob, and just shows you some of the weird shapes out there, and how they can play tricks on you depending on the angle in which viewed. Pic 1 shows shows a twisted tree branch up close, and Pic 2 shows how it looks from the other side, and a few paces back........just a good example of the strange shapes in nature, and how they can sometimes look like something else.

post-193-0-51176800-1441721891_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-41578200-1441721903_thumb.jpg

Kinda makes you wonder what forces were involved in that formation. I've seen trees break or bend over and keep growing. But to grow in a circle like that, looks like it might have had some help. ;)

No kidding BTW.......a Bigfoot must have come by and twisted this poor tree when just a sapling 20+ years ago, and this is what it looks like now, lol. Actually, the location does mark a rather distinct feature, sitting on the creeks edge near a waterfall, and a series of pools. I'm guessing a past flash-flood did some creative work on this tree years ago.

BFF Patron

Seems like a twist like that can be done by whatever then the tree heals itself.   Ends up looking like it grew that way.   Looking at it again something bent it down putting the top near the ground, maybe a half break.   Then the tree started twisting the top around to get the top up to better light.   

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic