Losing The Faith....

Guest shelley7950

Guest Lesmore

They have, however, contributed more to the university name recognition in many ways than, for example, their math departments.

True. But not all Universities want that kind of name recognition.

Guest LittleFeat

But why should they? It's not like Krantz or Meldrum have produced any real substance from their bigfoot efforts that has added substantively to the university coffers or led to competitive funding initiatives. They've barely even published any papers on the topic. Universities (i.e., people with jobs who work within their systems) follow the money, they don't create it. When the NSF or the NIH or the DoD announce a new request for proposals to "figure out this bigfoot thing," people will line up to submit proposals to study it. Until then, not so much.

Even if it's only in the BF world, Meldrum and Krantz have made ISU and WSU more well known than they'd ever have been if they weren't on the their staffs. The reason why Meldrum and Krantz haven't produced more is because they haven't received the support of their departments, universities and disciplines as a whole. M and K have done a remarkable job with the limited resources that they have had. Maybe not too far down the road ISU and WSU are going to be kicking themselves for not becoming involved in this mystery when they had a chance and a jump on everyone else.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a government entity to offer a grant for this research initially; it will probably be some private investors and a progressive university that need to show the other universities and the feds how it's done first; then the government may provide a grant to continue the research if progress is made during the first phase of the study. And yes, then all the other universities will be lining up to become involved. It's too bad that it will be too late for Krantz, but there's many scientists that receive their due credit posthumously.

I agree that most universities would shun this type of research in fear of their reputations, but all it takes is for one university with creative leadership to take the lead.

Guest LittleFeat

I'm glad it was you who typed those words, and I'm disappointed that universities are following the money rather than pursuing knowledge.

Maybe universities need to consider more "creative" ways of fiscal prosperity?

Hell, maybe the Immigration and Naturalization Service would have better luck dealing with these potentially primitive hominid immigrants from 10,000 years ago than they're having dealing with the current economic and social refugees flooding through our southern border?

Anybody but the appropriate agencies?

I agree, the universities are constantly looking for funding and asking for tuition increases. They really do need to look into more creative financial model in this day and age.

I doubt that the INS would have any better success dealing with BF immigrants. It BF has been in the USA for 10,000 years, they may be kicking our @sses out of the country. :lol: I'm sure that they're physically capable of doing so.

Huntster, on 19 November 2010 - 08:18 AM, said:

They have, however, contributed more to the university name recognition in many ways than, for example, their math departments.

Why not?

I wonder how many students enrolled at Washington State or Idaho State just to study under Krantz or Meldrum due to interest in sasquatch?

How many students have enrolled at Idaho State because they specifically wanted to study physics under Professor Wells? (Who, you ask?):

At a glance, professor D. Jeffrey Meldrum would seem to be a star on the Idaho State University campus here.

A popular instructor, Meldrum has written or edited five books, written dozens of articles in academic journals, and ranged across the American West and Canada for his field research. Famed primatologist Jane Goodall wrote a blurb for his latest book, which she said, "brings a much-needed level of scientific analysis" to a raging debate..........

C'mon..........admit it: You had no idea who Professor Wells was, did you?

Professor Wells a bit overshadowed and bitter, maybe?

Guest Lesmore

Why not?

I wonder how many students enrolled at Washington State or Idaho State just to study under Krantz or Meldrum due to interest in sasquatch?

How many students have enrolled at Idaho State because they specifically wanted to study physics under Professor Wells? (Who, you ask?):

I'm a graduate of two universities and although I'm an old relic and my campus days ended in the 1970's, I think that the general view that a university would have anything to do with cryptozoology, or this subject's devout followers, is unlikely.

Bigfoot, along with it's close allies... the Loch Ness Monster, UFO's, aliens and cryptozoology, are not taken very seriously on most campuses, I would hazard a guess.

When I was attended the hallowed halls of higher learning, I didn't dare mention that I even had the slightest smattering of interest, in any of those subjects.

The reason why....it would not serve my image / reputation well, as a serious student. I'm sure that the same concern was / is.... also shared by university / college staff.

I'm not at U. anymore, but my daughter is a recent graduate and my son is attending. They both assure me that times haven't changed, in regard to how these subjects are viewed by the general university community.

Now that I'm retired and my reputation..such that it is (or ever was).... is in tatters :D and matters little , I would attend a course on Bigfoot, out of interest.

But I'm confident no such courses will be offered at college / universities in most areas.... anytime soon.

Although I did hear of some Cryptozoology courses were to be offered at a university in the southern USA. I think there was a discussion on Coast to Coast radio...sometime last year. Sounded interesting.

Edited by Lesmore

Guest Yeti1974

Don't be afraid of the academic establishment. Universities should be about free inquiry, not intellectual stagnation enforced by an "enlightened" priesthood.

You would be surprised what you can get away with in graduate school nowadays. Times are changing, so STAND UP and speak and think freely. At least that's the trend I'm noticing recently.

Guest LittleFeat

Don't be afraid of the academic establishment. Universities should be about free inquiry, not intellectual stagnation enforced by an "enlightened" priesthood.

You would be surprised what you can get away with in graduate school nowadays. Times are changing, so STAND UP and speak and think freely. At least that's the trend I'm noticing recently.

That's really encouraging Yeti. :) It's high time for an educational paradigm that embraces the 21st century, not some outdated dogma.

Shelley et al, I'm sorry for hijacking the thread. Tying my rants back into the original thread topic, these academic precepts are the very reason that I sometimes feel like I'm "losing the faith"... at least temporarily. ^_^

Guest Lesmore

I don't disagree with you...in regards to free inquiry, etc.

But, I believe that for the most part...the subject of BF, etc....is regarded with a not inconsiderable amount of disdain within universities / colleges.

I would also say, IMO, that even those in the university community that are ready to defend to the death, the rights of all to pursue free inquiry, etc....would not be prepared to jump in and champion, either the BF subject...or those individuals who want to pursue their thirst for knowledge about BF.

No reflection on those interested in the subject of BF (count me in)...but IMO, BF and the pursuit of knowledge of this beast...mythical or otherwise...would be not be treated seriously...at all...by a significant majority involved in higher learning.

Not a position that I would support....but I'm just calling 'em...the way I see 'em.

Again my opinion.

Les

Guest Yeti1974

Who cares how others would treat it? Why be bullied into typical academic group-think? To what end? To make sure the thought police don't come to your home and take you away for "re-education"?

As an academic, I've defended open discussion and even acceptance of various "banned" subjects, including Bigfoot. They haven't killed me yet.

A relic human? Are Bigfoot using tools now? Are they chipping rocks to make cutting tools?

Where did the 'relic human' argument come from?

Don't get too freaked out! The "Relic Human" statement was an "...If..." statement, (surely you read the entire post) and was in answer to possible motives for the Government to ignore the issue of Sasquatch. Nobody said it was a relic human, but who knows, including you.

As for tool use being used to define being human, that is a slippery slope. That could place an auto mechanic on a far more "human" level than many of his neighbours. I guess that might not be the only criteria.

But...the more I lurk on various forums and watch various reality TV shows...

Ya' know, it seems like an awful lot of what's on the internet and reality TV shows is simply there because someone forgot to flush. Still, it is entertaining. You just have to spend a lot on spray cans of brain freshener.

Hope that helps. :P

How about state wildlife management agencies and/or the USFWS?

Huntster, have you done anything to bring bigfoot to the attention of these agencies? If not, why not?

RayG

I wonder how many students enrolled at Idaho State just to study under Meldrum due to interest in Sasquatch?

What would a student study about Bigfoot at Idaho State under Dr. Meldrum? His collection of (50% or more) faked Bigfoot casts that he sells copies of for $50 at Bigfoot gatherings? His theories about a animal he has never even personally witnessed? His THEORY about a mid-tarsal break? Dr. Meldrum knows plenty about primate physiology, but he knows as much about Bigfoot as everyone else. NOTHING.

Guest LittleFeat

What would a student study about Bigfoot at Idaho State under Dr. Meldrum? His collection of (50% or more) faked Bigfoot casts that he sells copies of for $50 at Bigfoot gatherings? His theories about a animal he has never even personally witnessed? His THEORY about a mid-tarsal break? Dr. Meldrum knows plenty about primate physiology, but he knows as much about Bigfoot as everyone else. NOTHING.

Are you serious John? What student wouldn't be interested in learning from Meldrum? He may not have proof, but I have to give him credit for having the cajones to study this subject. Who cares whether or not he sells the casts, because it takes two to tango. Somebody's buying the casts aren't they? And what's wrong with having a theory? That's how scientific research is performed. If you're a firm non-believer of BF, then why does all this bother you so much?

Guest Lesmore

Sort of back to the poster's original query...Losing the Faith....I admit I've lost it and presently am wandering aimlessly :D .

But I would love to take a course from Dr. Meldrum about Bigfoot, his (Dr. M.) research and assessment, etc.

I'm too far from his academic base in Idaho to attend....but after reading his book (I've bought a copy shortly after it was originally published), I'm very impressed with his diligent approach to this question.

Maybe it would help me.....recover my lost faith.

Edited by Lesmore