How Would You Capture Or Kill A Sasquatch?

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

Well, in that case I would hesitate to use the title "sniper". I suppose the fellow must have gotten rattled at the sight of the creature, or was inexperienced and jerked the trigger, which pulls the barrel downward, thus lowering the trajectory of the bullet significantly. You've got my curiosity piqued, though. Do you have a link to the story?

The so called sniper shot it in the shoulder when it reached for the deer from behind cover. He didn't know they have 5-6' long arms and and that a poorly aimed shot to the body wouldn't kill one. Now they got a PO Bf on their hands.

nice going shooter. dry.gif

jmo tracker

Edited by tracker

Of course! ::slaps forehead:: Because it wasn't shot in the eye, the creature escaped because of poor shot placement. Some sniper.

Guest Zachi

SO, if you shoot him dead, how will you transport this very large,several hundred pound body back to the road. And is he has friends, you may be in for more trouble than you think. You would need a group and the larger the group, the harder it is to sneak up on one. Why not just go to a good area, set up camp, eat a deliciously fragrant dinner, sing a few songs, and hope the BF is curious enough to come investigate. If you are in his favorite area, he may even throw rocks at you. Then have someone who has been in a tree stand for the whole time try to take him out. It's better is he's on your turf than the other way around.

And remember, some bodies have been turned in for scientific anyalisis and they just disappeared, so if you get a body, who will you give it to?

If I might point to the story of the Louisiana Hunt. They used a sniper in a tree stand, with a deer carcass to lure them in. When a bigfoot went for the carcass, it got gut shot, once, with a 30 caliber rifle. The BF fled, and ended up not being collected.

Now, the shooter was using the wrong type of optics for low-light hunting. Second, he had a one-shot, one-kill philosophy, and so he didn't take a second shot when he had the chance. If the scope was right, and the shooter was willing to fire a second round, there might have been a little war there, between the hunters and the bigfoots.

If it was a 800 lbs grizzly bear he had shot? A .30 caliber rifle (.30-06 or .308 most common) is going to kill the animal, but it's on the light side. You certainly do not want to stop a charge with it, and you don't want to plan on "anchoring" the animal with it either. In order to facilitate those two scenarios you want to pick a more powerful cartridge.

It's not the ones you shoot that you have to worry about; it's the ones you don't.

As a hunter I can speak with authority that this is the exact opposite fear of reality.

In other words I'm not worried about some fictitious bigfoot army exacting it's revenge on me.........I'm much more worried about tracking a dangerous wounded animal into heavy cover and nightfall.

Guest mastershooter

Those that know me will say I am never short on words. Being new here, I am going to tread lightly with this subject but to begin with I suggest everyone just use common sense.

Now my opinions:

1. It does not matter too much what gun a person would shoot a large animal like a BF, Polar Bear or an elephant. Shot placement is the key in any shooting, be it target, human or animal. The gun I wear on my side will bring down anything when used properly. I have taken large wild boar and Mule Deer with it using one shot hits. The question becomes why shoot one with a gun when a good camera would serve just as well.

2. Using a camera to photo a BF would be unique since all the photos out there seem to be out of focus, blurry or grainy. I could not use any of them in court as evidence. Now we get to why one would be in the woods without a good camera when looking for BF. Then we can think that BF sightings are generally by accident and not the purpose of being in the woods to begin with. The same applies to most of those not having a gun when sighting a BF. That said, I carry at least one gun at all times but I doubt I would ever shoot a BF unless it was a life or death reaction. I simply cannot say which I would do first, take a photo, shoot or change my underwear.

3. As to getting help such as additional people, ropes, helicopters or whatever, it should not be a problem. Everyone has a cellphone now. Just call the nearest Sheriff's Office and tell them you have need of immediate assistance due to having a body on the ground. You will have scores of units around you in minutes. They will get a helicopter, if needed. I will suggest you not tell them you have a BF in custody or they may just send a single DUI unit to your location. With a cellphone, they can tell your GPS location instantly. When I want to know where my 30 yr old daughter is, I just get her to answer her cell. It lets me know within 90 feet of where she is. That also lets me know where she has her mother out spending my money.

4. But before any of the above is needed, you must first find a BF. People have full time, well paid jobs with unlimited financial backing are out there looking for one and not one has been found as yet.

Guest tracker

In other words I'm not worried about some vicious bigfoot army exacting it's revenge on me.........I'm much more worried about tracking a dangerous wounded animal into heavy cover and nightfall.

Jeez i knew they could be mean and their numbers are on the rise but a vicious Bigfoot army exacting revenge. C'mon NM? huh.gif

Those that know me will say I am never short on words. Being new here, I am going to tread lightly with this subject but to begin with I suggest everyone just use common sense.

Now my opinions:

1. It does not matter too much what gun a person would shoot a large animal like a BF, Polar Bear or an elephant. Shot placement is the key in any shooting, be it target, human or animal. The gun I wear on my side will bring down anything when used properly. I have taken large wild boar and Mule Deer with it using one shot hits. The question becomes why shoot one with a gun when a good camera would serve just as well.

Shot placement is key, but so is caliber choice. You don't hunt the big five with a .243 winchester, and you don't hunt bear or tiger with it either. It's not like fishing on light gear.......it's not "sporting" but rather **** dangerous for yourself and whomever is apart of your party. Even though the guide is probably going to be armed with a "guide" gun, something that shoots a heavy slug and puts down charges in the first shoot? He still doesn't want to be put in the position to have to track a dangerous wounded animals through heavy cover and or darkness. He wants you to kill the animal where it stands with your rifle. And that rifle has to be adequate for the job at hand.

Secondly, it's of my opinion that no photo is ever going to get us to where we need to go. Science will always look for the zipper. A real body of a squatch ends all of this for once and for all.

2. Using a camera to photo a BF would be unique since all the photos out there seem to be out of focus, blurry or grainy. I could not use any of them in court as evidence. Now we get to why one would be in the woods without a good camera when looking for BF. Then we can think that BF sightings are generally by accident and not the purpose of being in the woods to begin with. The same applies to most of those not having a gun when sighting a BF. That said, I carry at least one gun at all times but I doubt I would ever shoot a BF unless it was a life or death reaction. I simply cannot say which I would do first, take a photo, shoot or change my underwear.

It's over forty years old, and it's not out of focus, blurry or grainy, for the technology of the time it's as good as it gets. Nobody watches that video and says "Gee, I wonder if it's a bear?"

What's the consensus of the scientific community? Fake. Why? It has non ape human like mammary glands and a sagital crest only found in male apes. It's a contradiction of traits. Never mind the size of the animal........

3. As to getting help such as additional people, ropes, helicopters or whatever, it should not be a problem. Everyone has a cellphone now. Just call the nearest Sheriff's Office and tell them you have need of immediate assistance due to having a body on the ground. You will have scores of units around you in minutes. They will get a helicopter, if needed. I will suggest you not tell them you have a BF in custody or they may just send a single DUI unit to your location. With a cellphone, they can tell your GPS location instantly. When I want to know where my 30 yr old daughter is, I just get her to answer her cell. It lets me know within 90 feet of where she is. That also lets me know where she has her mother out spending my money.

Most areas I frequent have no cell phone service. And my Sheriff dept does not have a helo, etc, etc.

You shoot it, you take the head, foot and hand and secure them in your ruck, you mark your position on the map and you high tail it back to civilization to call your favorite biologist.

4. But before any of the above is needed, you must first find a BF. People have full time, well paid jobs with unlimited financial backing are out there looking for one and not one has been found as yet.

Not many.......99.9% of them are working stiffs like all of us are. But your right, it's not often a person actually sees one, which underscores my position why we need to stop dancing around the bush and take that shot when/if the opportunity arises.

From a conservation point of view it's the only respectable thing to do IMHO. Let's get the species recognized as quick as possible.........there isn't one environmental impact study in the US today that takes into account Squatch habitat........not one.

Jeez i knew they could be mean and their numbers are on the rise but a vicious Bigfoot army exacting revenge. C'mon NM? huh.gif

Exactly right.

But that seems to be the position of some people.....

01.jpg

He has shot one of us! The humans must DIE! :blink:

I flatly reject it. Every animal on the planet we know of flees gunshots unless it itself is wounded.........then it may turn on the hunters. But his buddies have not formed a Saxon shield wall in his defense. They have ran for their lives.

If Bigfoot was mentally capable of this sort of organization and planning? He wouldn't be eating pine nuts and mushrooms in the swamp.........he'd be getting his buddies together and raiding the local 7/11. Or pursuing this thought further? We would be raiding HIS 7/11 stores.......we would be the species on the out. While he was master of the earth.

Guest tracker

Exactly right.

But that seems to be the position of some people.....

01.jpg

He has shot one of us! The humans must DIE! :blink:

I flatly reject it. Every animal on the planet we know of flees gunshots unless it itself is wounded.........then it may turn on the hunters. But his buddies have not formed a Saxon shield wall in his defense. They have ran for their lives.

If Bigfoot was mentally capable of this sort of organization and planning? He wouldn't be eating pine nuts and mushrooms in the swamp.........he'd be getting his buddies together and raiding the local 7/11. Or pursuing this thought further? We would be raiding HIS 7/11 stores.......we would be the species on the out. While he was master of the earth.

Actually there was this little known report out near you where a miner put 5 or 6 slugs into a Bf on a ridge. That night the whole Bf family paid the minors a visit at their cabin. Now what was the name of the place again? it had kind of a ring to it ? Surely NM you haven't forgotten that act of retribution? huh.gif

maybe they are more like barbarian hunters anyways? saxon shield wall biggrin.gif good one NM.

Actually there was this little known report out near you where a miner put 5 or 6 slugs into a Bf on a ridge. That night the whole Bf family paid the minors a visit at their cabin. Now what was the name of the place again? it had kind of a ring to it ? Surely NM you haven't forgotten that act of retribution? huh.gif

maybe they are more like barbarian hunters anyways? saxon shield wall biggrin.gif good one NM.

I googled "was the ape canyon incident a hoax" and got about 10 pages worth of hits. Of course not all of them agreed, but you get the picture. I only googled it because I have read in some reputable book that I cannot recall (I thought it was in 2 different books, actually) that the story was a lie or was embellished at the least. Of course, everyone has an opinion, and some of them publish books about their opinions, lol. I'm not necessarily calling it fake, but I will say that it is outside the range of the vast majority of reported encounters. I wouldn't hide from a BF army based on the Ape Canyon story...

I googled "was the ape canyon incident a hoax" and got about 10 pages worth of hits. Of course not all of them agreed, but you get the picture. I only googled it because I have read in some reputable book that I cannot recall (I thought it was in 2 different books, actually) that the story was a lie or was embellished at the least. Of course, everyone has an opinion, and some of them publish books about their opinions, lol. I'm not necessarily calling it fake, but I will say that it is outside the range of the vast majority of reported encounters. I wouldn't hide from a BF army based on the Ape Canyon story...

Fred Beck's son may have done some embellishing in the book with the arrow, e.g., and Rant Mullens claimed credit for pranking at one point. A newspaper clipping on a bulletin board at Spirit Lake Lodge more than a decade before the eruption had it that miners donned bear skins to scare off claim jumpers. It was the miners who showed up in Kelso, terrified.

Fred himself seemed pretty straightforward:

Guest tracker

it was investigated. not many knew how to describe a Sasq back then unless they had seen one IMO.

Fred Beck's son may have done some embellishing in the book with the arrow, e.g., and Rant Mullens claimed credit for pranking at one point. A newspaper clipping on a bulletin board at Spirit Lake Lodge more than a decade before the eruption had it that miners donned bear skins to scare off claim jumpers. It was the miners who showed up in Kelso, terrified.

Fred himself seemed pretty straightforward:

That could be what I am remembering, LAL, perhaps a review of his son's story. I remember something about one of the witness' stories going way out into left field years later as far as paranormal stuff, interdimensional beings, etc., but I can't recall the details of it.

it was investigated. not many knew how to describe a Sasq back then unless they had seen one IMO.

Yeah, I wish I could remember the source of what I read, Tracker. It is entirely possible that what I read was written by somebody who just wanted to discredit the event, I can't be sure at this point. I do remember reading the original story back in the early 1980's though, and being enthralled with it, along with the Baughman story and the other classics. Real or not, they will all be part of BF history forever, and I like to read through them again every now & then. You comments inspired me to want to reread the Ape Canyon once again.

Btw, I am not sure if you guys realize it or not, but the Baughman story is not the only potential BF reference in Roosevelt's Wilderness Hunter

Edited for a type-o

Edited by Surveyor