The Cloning Of A Mammoth....can Neanderthal Be Far Behind ?

Guest Lesmore

Admin

Well, identical twins and triplets are nature's clones, so the thought of cloning doesn't really bother me. It would be how it was used unethically in different situations that would be the problem. For instance, a clone used for organ transplant or to replace a child lost in an accident, those are the kinds of things that give me the willies.

You need to watch the movie "Moon". It's a bout a corporate mining company that sets up operations on the moon and ....

Great movie and explores this very topic from the point of view of the victim.

It's impossible not to bring religion into this because of the moral implications and I don't think we should exclude it. It is what it is. So here it goes... that's always been my problem with atheism, moral relativism, no limits.

Edited by gigantor

Guest wudewasa

So here it goes... that's always been my problem with atheism, moral relativism, no limits.

Business as well... "The only thing more dangerous than getting between a grizzly bear and her cub is getting between a businessman and a dollar bill." -Edward Abbey

With the recent advances in cellular reprogramming and new gene editing techniques such as zinc finger nucleases many of the old issues of SCNT cloning will soon be overcome in my opinion. We are quickly moving beyond the issues that we saw with Dolly.

Guest vilnoori

Business as well... "The only thing more dangerous than getting between a grizzly bear and her cub is getting between a businessman and a dollar bill." -Edward Abbey

There certainly would be a lot of money in producing even one or two each of some of the many extinct animals and putting them in a zoo. Of course, a very expensive zoo, with all the best facilities, and everyone having to pay through the nose to see the animals. Oh yes, it would pay.

Guest wudewasa

That's the whole moral schtick of the Jurassic Park and King Kong stories.

The Assosciation of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA)oversees its members through an accredidation process to ensure they are in compliance with with professional standards. I wonder how this organization would manage the resurrection of extinct species in zoological parks?

However, not all facilities that display wildlife are members of the AZA. Other governmental entities may regulate the ownership of engineered creatures for private/public ownership. While most people wouldn't object to someone keeping a Carolina parakeet or dodo bird, there are serious safety concerns to consider with the husbandry of sabre toothed tigers, short faced bears, Megalania and the myriad of Dinosauria!

You need to watch the movie "Moon". It's a bout a corporate mining company that sets up operations on the moon and ....

Great movie and explores this very topic from the point of view of the victim.

It's impossible not to bring religion into this because of the moral implications and I don't think we should exclude it. It is what it is. So here it goes... that's always been my problem with atheism, moral relativism, no limits.

I agree that it is hard to avoid the forbidden topic, but I think we have done a nice job in reclassifying it as "ethical issues" It's all in how you say it :D

• 2 weeks later...

It will be done because it can be done.

Yup. I cannot trust man with "ethics".

Me, I want to see a Smilodon.

Me? I don't care what they create: mastodons, gigantopithecuses, supermen, whatever.

I can shoot any and all of them if need be.

LOLOL.....Some of those things could sit on your roof and crush your house. You'll need one of those portable missile launchers to take them out.

BFF Patron

No Problem! :P

Edited by bipedalist

LOLOL.....Some of those things could sit on your roof and crush your house. You'll need one of those portable missile launchers to take them out.

African elephants have been shot dead on a boringly regular basis for the past century with some very unimpressive firearms. Most recently, they have to be saved from some pretty stupid people armed with something as unimpressive as AK-47s at great cost to humanity as a whole.

Mastadons? One would feed my family for a few years for the cost of a single 338 Winchester Magnum round.

If you know where to shoot I guess it doesn't matter the size of the gun.

You don't even need a gun. Primitive man is supposedly guilty for hunting mastodons to extinction (a belief I roundly reject, BTW). They used pointy sticks and stone headed pikes.

If it has a heartbeat, it can be killed. And if it's legal, I can show you how to do it.

Off-topic sidenote:

I'm repeatedly and continually amazed at our indigenous North Americans, their resourcefulness, strength, and enduring spirit.

I'm currently into this book. I lived in the Palmer area when Ada passed away at the local Pioneer Home, have lived in Alaska for 35 years, am fairly well read (especially with regard to the Arctic), and never heard of this story until two days ago. A friend gave me that book to read. You can get the gist of the story here.

Our ancestors took control of the planet primarily with their spirit. I have that spirit, as well.