Do You Think Bf Lives In A Family Group?

Do you think BF lives in a family group? Or do you think they live a more solitary life. I know the family group is a really popular theory these days. Wouldn't a family group be a lot easier to find though? the fact that BF has remained so elusive for so long has caused me to believe it may live a more solitary life, similar to the bear. Or maybe these family groups do exist and BF are a lot more sophisticated then i've ever given them credit for. Well, enough of my thoughts lets hear yours. Do you think they live in a family group, or do they live a more solitary life? What reasons have brought you to these conclusions?

Guest COGrizzly

Yes. I think they live in a family group. But that group has a range of many miles. That's why I think they wood knock and howl. To communicate with one another. On occasion or perhaps at a certain age, maybe one strays off from the group.

I actually think it would be MORE difficult to track them down if they are spread out.

Just a theory.

Guest JiggyPotamus

I believe that there are family groups, but also solitary individuals (most likely males), who either cannot or will not find a mate. As to what age adolescents leave their parents I have no clue, but I think that they do. If they do not leave their parents until they find a mate, there may not be many solitary individuals.

I am usually comfortable in speculating about bigfoot behaviors, traits, and actions, but on this particular subject I am a bit reluctant. I suppose it is because I view this topic to have a much larger possibility of error. Nevertheless, I also speculate that family groups do not spend all that much time together.

I imagine that the only time they spend together is when they are not searching for food, and even then they may work together sometimes, or all the time. Many encounters involve the witness seeing a single creature, and there are different explanations that account for this.

I have read and thought of the possibility that the males will attempt to push people away from their family, but this couldn't account for all solitary sightings. They seem rather curious, but they may follow or shadow someone simply to ensure that that person leaves their territory.

If hunting for specific foods that are more difficult to find, it may be worthwhile to split up and then reunite after gathering food. I believe there have been reports of lone animals eating, so maybe they do not gather food, and just eat it when they find it. This would lead me to believe that the males and females are responsible for themselves, and the female is responsible for feeding the child, and teaching it how to survive. Or, another possibility to explain these occurrences is that the bigfoot sighted eating food on location may not have a family.

Maybe they do not even have family units. This is why I didn't want to speculate too much. Too many possibilities, and not enough detailed evidence to give us a decent answer. We haven't viewed them in the wild for enough time, and that is a problem, as we all know.

I would like others' opinions on the following: Going through reports, it seems that males are sighted far more often than females, unless the witness simply did not include that the animal had breasts, or couldn't see the breasts that were present on the creature. I would think any report would contain that detail if it was present during the sighting.

This will tie into an explanation for the OP's question, although I cannot say for sure. What we need to do is ask those who have experienced habituation or semi-habituation, as they probably have viewed them many more times than those of us who have had only 1 sighting, or multiple brief sightings. But it is still hard to observe them without interfering, since they will know you were there watching them. Grrr, just too many variables, and not enough raw data. It is extremely frustrating. Maybe I am just missing some connection that is present in sighting reports.

The ones that I'm familiar with seem to always be in groups. The groups usually contain several adults & children. It's more like small tribes than just single families. When some of them are passing by here they whistle or knock if I'm outside. There are never less than three or four different sounds from different locations. But maybe they do go off by themselves sometimes, I don't know.

I think they mostly feed themselves individually unless they happen to kill a large animal & then they all share it. I knew of a little one that could climb a tree & catch a squirrel when he was less than a year old.

Most definately. These here are in a rather large group, with family units subdividing territories. They do seem to hunt individually here though.-Knuck

Jiggy awesome post as always, you never seem to disappoint. I think a little bit of speculation is a good thing, when involving a subject we know so little about. As long as nothing is presumed to be fact. I make errors all the time, i see no problem in it, i try my best to learn from those mistakes. I feel making those errors in discussion, in the lab and in the field will ultimately lead us to the definitive answer. A fear to explore new ideas will only hinder our ability to find this thing. A lot of sightings involve a single individual. One thing i would like to throw into the mix is the fact that tracks also always seem to involve an individual or 2 BFs at most in the cases i've heard of. Doesn't that contradict the family group theory?

A lot of sightings involve a single individual. One thing i would like to throw into the mix is the fact that tracks also always seem to involve an individual or 2 BFs at most in the cases i've heard of. Doesn't that contradict the family group theory?

Why would it contradict the family group? We don't usually take our family & friends everywhere we go, but that doesn't mean we don't have them.

Edited to add..

When I said that there are always several passing by at the same time, I don't mean that they are all walking close together. They stay spread out, but they are still all passing by together.

Edited by Sasfooty

I just have never heard of a family group leaving tracks, it's always been an individual, i find that to be a little odd, but then again, everything about BF is odd. What other examples are there of animals living in these scattered family groups? I think it's more plausible that the mother nurtures and teaches the young until a certain age. In my opinion BF is a solitary creature for the most part. This is coming from someone who has never experienced a BF in the field. I understand i could be way wrong.

Maybe that's why there is so little known about them. Most of us are way too comfortable with our preconceived ideas of presumed BF behavior & sounds.

Can't see the forest for the trees certainly applies to BF research.

Guest parnassus

The ones that I'm familiar with seem to always be in groups. The groups usually contain several adults & children. It's more like small tribes than just single families. When some of them are passing by here they whistle or knock if I'm outside. There are never less than three or four different sounds from different locations. But maybe they do go off by themselves sometimes, I don't know.

I think they mostly feed themselves individually unless they happen to kill a large animal & then they all share it. I knew of a little one that could climb a tree & catch a squirrel when he was less than a year old.

Sas, can you tell them apart...do you have names for the individuals?

p.

Edited by parnassus

Guest BFSleuth

Caesar, trying searching "BFRO family" or similar to read some reports of sightings of family groups.

This is one of my favorites, a surveyor observing two big males, a female, and a juvenile.. and they were talking among themselves:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=7441

Here's a report of three trackways traveling together:

"Three sets of tracks found" - http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=1570

... and another report of 3 trackways ... http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=684

... http://www.mid-americabigfoot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1283

Sas, can you tell them apart...do you have names for the individuals?

Yes & no. Some of them have their own whistles & other noises that make them recognizable immediately. I've learned to associate them with the noises, & some are quite friendly. Others seem to either be strangers or just don't want to have anything to do with us. Their noises will just pass by without stopping to "say hi".

Yes, they have names. Some are names that I gave them, & others are apparently their own names. One of my favorites, (who grew up & left), I had to give a name. I could never pronounce his real name in their language, but it started with "ar" & sounded like mumbling in the middle, & ended with "o". He didn't like my pronounciation of it at first, but he finally got used to it, & even liked it eventually.