Missing 411

I will be traveling to the westcoast of the US next year to take a trip up the coast visiting parks like yosemite and crater lake. Now after reading the books, I do feel a little spooked about going there. Has anyone been out in the wildernes after reading the book? I know I will be very alert!! :D

• 1 month later...

Paulides posted this case on his website, just as a FYI.

He is not claiming it is BF related, but given his 411 books, he must be implying that this case falls in the realm of mysterious disappearances.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2013/06/lost_in_oregon_hiker_who_vanis.html

I have no clue what happened to this guy, but am always interested in learning how to avoid backcountry accidents.

His truck was found on the trailhead to the French Pete Trailhead south Cougar Reservoir in the Willamette National Forest (Oregon).

I did not find any news update on Google on this year old case case. 

Has there ever been any evidence of human involvement in any of the disappearances? If squatch are spotted often-on, so would rogue humans more than likely. And what does a rogue human look like? 

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CD4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uscg.mil%2Ftcyorktown%2Fops%2Fsar%2Finland%2FDocs%2FDennisMartinReadAhead.pdf&ei=LJNkUoKbC5OG9QSu9ICQAQ&usg=AFQjCNFZS3hquPcgpVaY2wRALHnKG0v5Rw&sig2=poN2GnpiI5wINDinh31XlA . http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/jun/28/missing-dennis-martin/ . If these reports are accurate and no information was "conveniently" left out, like the screaming, stealthy, rough looking man was carrying something. The report from the knoxnews does not have that part in it, and if the finding of the bones and skull was true than I would say that Dennis was not abducted by a sasquatch. It may be possible that the burst of activity at the time pushed a sasquatch out of the area and that is what the camper seen. I can tell you one thing for a fact , at least on the NC side of that area is that sasquatch are in that area and some have always been in that area, but the wildlife service and NPS will not and do not admit to anything that has to do with BF, sasquatch, or wildmen, woodbuggers etc.. I believe from a few instances that I have heard second hand from the individuals that experienced it that they intentionally destroy evidence and tell people they seen a bear or were hoaxed.

I suspect Bigfoot is like regular folks in many ways, including good ones, bad ones, and really bad ones. There are plenty of reports of BF's getting shot over the years, and do the survivors of such an event become man killers? Bad circumstances is enough to make some people crazy.......Bigfoot too?

Bigtex. I have often wondered about the same. The more I think about I wonder if they get so outraged you should hear more reports of them going mad and attacking the person that hurt one of their own at the time of the shooting.

• 8 months later...

I sincerely think that when BF disclosure finally occurs a lot of questions regarding people disappearing in the forests and woodlands will be answered.

My heart breaks that so many people with no clue what so ever regarding BF go hiking and never return. 

David Paulides books are a chilling reminder of how often and the weird circumstances surrounding people who go hiking and never return.

I sincerely think that when BF disclosure finally occurs a lot of questions regarding people disappearing in the forests and woodlands will be answered.

My heart breaks that so many people with no clue what so ever regarding BF go hiking and never return. 

David Paulides books are a chilling reminder of how often and the weird circumstances surrounding people who go hiking and never return.

Given the number of hikers, I'd say missing/weird circumstances happening are very rare.

Given the number of hikers, I'd say missing/weird circumstances happening are very rare.

ET, That is true, unless you and/or your loved one is suddenly missing under weird circumstances. I purchased and read the books trying to understand how to try to protect my family when we hike and camp, especially our younger children. What really *freaks* me out is that essentially no one ever heard anyone scream:( The person was there, then just gone, never to be seen again.

Sadly I realized that there is essentially nothing unless everyone was tied together so we would all be taken at the same time:(

Bigtex. I have often wondered about the same. The more I think about I wonder if they get so outraged you should hear more reports of them going mad and attacking the person that hurt one of their own at the time of the shooting.

The BF may have been a loner. Most seem to be solitary, some are seen with a female and an infant.

I believe the males are solitary until they mate, and then they may stay together for a while to care for the baby.

Do the females have fertile periods like human women have? Can the males *smell* a female in "heat"?

Hopefully we will have answers one day.

I've read Tribal and Hoopa and liked them both. I feel he did a good job on those. I considered buying the 411 series, but the ebay auction exceeded what I was willing to pay. While researching the purchase, I came across the largest body of comments I've seen on an Amazon review. A reviewer delivered a detailed, searing critique, then he and the author himself went round-and-round like a dang mongoose and cobra for over 300 posts. I expect many here will find it interesting. *Linky* (hopefully)

After reading that friggin' conflagration, the price I was willing to bid on the books dropped quite a bit.

Regardless, the fact remains that many bizarre disappearances have taken place. If you accept the existence of BF creatures, it's foolish to think they are involved in NONE of them.

ET, That is true, unless you and/or your loved one is suddenly missing under weird circumstances. I purchased and read the books trying to understand how to try to protect my family when we hike and camp, especially our younger children. What really *freaks* me out is that essentially no one ever heard anyone scream:( The person was there, then just gone, never to be seen again.

Sadly I realized that there is essentially nothing unless everyone was tied together so we would all be taken at the same time:(

The BF may have been a loner. Most seem to be solitary, some are seen with a female and an infant.

I believe the males are solitary until they mate, and then they may stay together for a while to care for the baby.

Do the females have fertile periods like human women have? Can the males *smell* a female in "heat"?

Hopefully we will have answers one day.

Don't get me wrong, when folks go missing it's a tragedy--whether circumstances are known or otherwise!  I just think that a lot of people are unnecessarily paranoid about venturing into the woods for fear of bigfoot abductions.  We are far more likely to die from West Nile Virus sitting on the back deck...at least, here in Texas!

From reading all four books and listening to most of his public statements and interviews, I really don't think Paulides believes that bigfoot are responsible (at least ultimately...) for the disappearances.

• 6 months later...

I know there are numerous threads about the missing 411 books, so I decided to look into them at Amazon. I see they are all 5 stars, which peaks my interest even more. I also notice the copies for sale are in the $80 to $90 range. No digital copies seem to be available (I have four kindles). I would like to check out these books, but $80 is a bit out of my price range. I have three kids in college, so our budget is very tight...

Does anyone have a used copy they would be willing to sell for about $20? Also, which book would folks recommend?