Bigfoot And Fire Question?

Guest Jenny

Guest Jenny

apeman~ Thanks for the story and your insight. So you are saying that you think BF came close to your camp and played with the toys you set out? That is w-a-y interesting. Seriously.

So do you think BF fears fire or is drawn in by it?

Again, thanks!

What kind of fire? I imagine they flee forest fires and a campfire means humans and possible danger or entertainment treat. I think I just noticed it and then really paid attention and worked at it (see Robert Morgan's Bigfoot Field Observer's Manual) and was rewarded with a tpe of "relationship" to some extent. I collected much of the typical evidence too, tracks, etc. And I did not experience any intentional frightening/bluff type behavior, nor get "zapped" acoustically. There is no question to me, or based on my extrinsic evidence, that BF's are real, and much more intelligent and opportunistic than we believe generally.

I do think there are "camp Bigfoots" in many remote, but car accessible campgrounds throughout the US. In my case really pretty remote from populations centeres, but a very good graded road between two designated wildernesses.

I stayed in a 2wheel drive accesible, no services, pack in/out campsite that received almost no traffic midweek and rarely filled weekends. Not much reason to be there as the more scenic/hunting areas up the road and the bigger RV limited to a site some distance away.

Next time you are out, try after dusk to move along a trail or road you know without a flashlight and see if any humans also camping notice you. They won't, even in a full moon it is easy to avoid human detection. I did it more than once in those campgrounds, just in curiosity and I am not any 'survival" type. Note though, b/c it is easy? One must be pretty confident humans aren't out there at night being mistaken for BFs!

So, I think in the end, for me, it was overwhelming the many bits of evidences in the forest, on video, on sound and that all adds up, too many anaomolies, that the most eloquent simple explanation is: yes, it is a BF....but no, I sure can't prove it...I can show a very compelling and revealing story though..and for "believers" it points to human like intelligence and cognitive behaviors..that doesn't translate to "our culture" (whether hygiene, etc) but to the innate ability mentally.

Not sure, b/c I am not convinced thier hands are identical...the thumb seems to be set back just a bit more (my data) and also the lack of material culture points to limitation in hand and/or mechanical reasoning...I think the former as they are so naturally able to survive and we so depend on material culture...LOL lots of speculation there....

but yes, I do think BFs have probably observed many campers/campsites and taken benefit when they can (or at least keep eye on the threats) and so, I think fears are overblown in our territory or such neutral territory shared. Deep in home BF country among BFs not familar so? I have no idea.

p.s. i had places deeper in forest off trails etc as sites, but yes they appraoched camp too as i offerred often "entertainment" whether me singing (comedy?), native america flute CD, or laptop movie, etc....as well as offerrred durable goods for inspecting, they rarely took anything. Japan green clay was a big hit.

But, I am pretty sure they made habit of visiting just about anyone who camps there if the situation is right as more than one person I interviewed had an odd story to tell.

My favorite by a bow hunter who left camp predawn and I saw him come back at 11am...huh? Not right, b/c he was clearly long time bow type and so we talked. About 300 yardsfrom major cliffs (and after seeing 2 huge scat oddly not bear enough) he was overwhelmed by "I gott get back" and eventually blew out just about 100yards from where he had intended all day to arrive. In his four decades bear/cougar bow hunting he said he had never had that feeling or walked off hunt. Others reported on a few occassions, actually asking me, if anyone had been up walking around camp prior night. One woman said when she put her ear to tent it was pushed back and asked me about . As a single female camper I guess I was approacable for such stuff...she wondered about raccoons..

So, I went enough on weekends to get feel for what was happening to campers, but mostly I went up midweek b/c had the entire forest to myself.

Edited by apehuman

What if it's the smell of the fire that they avoid. After you spend time around a campfire you smell like a campfire. I wonder what that would do to a sense of smell that is part of your survival tool bag?

Guest BFSleuth

I previously posted a topic related to my conversation with a Tibetan that noted their belief that Yeti will come into their huts at night to eat ash from the fire. It may be a source of minerals for them or palliative for an upset stomach.

I also remember reading a sighting report where a campfire was left unattended as they went to fetch water, then when they returned they found a BF had pulled a stick out of the fire and was waiving the glowing end around in the air. So, it would seem they may have a fascination with fire itself, and possibly a need to eat the ash.

Guest Peter O.

@apehuman: great stories, I've bought the Observer's Guide and would like to use it also to have encounters.

Anyway, in the book Catching Fire (about human cooking) evidence is noted that pretty well shows that H. erectus was already cooking and using fire, since its bones have been found in association with fire hearths. What would this say about Bigfoot if he is genetically similar to modern humans?

Edit: that doesn't mean necessarily that erectus could make fire, perhaps only catch & maintain it. It's been a while since I read the book.

Edited by Peter O.

You know i guess I am in the evolvd H.erectus camp, of course just based on combined data of mmy own and what seem relevant out there.

I thought it wasn't entirely clear H.erectus used fire independant of H.sapien sites, some question in the co-mingled sites, but erectus only sites had no clear fire? Your book sounds interesting and current so I should get it. I did get a recent one on "wild minds" and that was very interesting too for similar reasons, but pretty dense I haven't finished it yet!

They could be us (or sub-species) but so "wild" that we can't recognize a lot of behavior. I do know many humans eat/ate raw meats, from hearts/livers/blood to flesh...

Even so, it is entirely possible BF's have or could use fire and do so only limited for defensive reasons, or also possible the culture/genetics have degenerated b/c of a large population drop say small pox or something, and so the remnant although perhaps capable dont have memory of how to use/make?

I did leave out a flint fire maker..LOL and in boredom thought i would make a demo video..play on the laptop...what a Joke! LOL it took me a long time to make a fire using the flint, and i did offer it multiple times and no takers. I didn't leave weapons out though, like knives, or many tools. Maybe I should have left bolt cutters so they can remove trail cams!!

What got the most interest were things that would interest us on a tactile level...so clay and stuff like that, but another item was kept and feel certain based on gift site...a small 2" little square that had a globe mounted in it..so a mini world globe that twirled inside this square. On two occassions (they were lids to the statues tubes) that was taken...I think just the twirling action ya know...so after that I went to Goodwill and got small tactile type stuff (and cheap baskets).

But amazingly very little was ever taken and kept. And rarely from camp, except the Japan Green clay or apples (i didn't leave elaborate food at the table in camp, but almost always a bowl of apples..do you know any raccoon that can take only one apple a night till three left in bowl and not take more..till I replenish the bowl? Humm, tells me probably BF and can kind of count.. "a lot" "a few?")

Well the Morgan book might startle you, but just I guess have faith and the forest to yourself so you dont get embarassed first times, once you get a "hit" then you won't care, but until then? LOL I felt pretty foolish my third day out.....but fortunately things got interesting fast...

Edited by apehuman

Guest ajciani

The light of a fire tends not to go too far. At least, not as far as the sounds of the camp might travel. The smell of smoke could pull them in.

In terms of luring them to the campsite, I think that is generally unnecessary. I have had quite a few experiences outdoors, in the day, that I am fairly certain bigfoots pick up on our presence and watch us during the day. You may be observed from the moment you enter and setup camp, to the moment you leave.

Guest tirademan

Thanks Art for the credit.

I personally don't think sasquatch uses fire. Some of those old accounts I've found, like the one you pointed out, mention old camp fires etc., but I've not seen one where the sasquatch was actually AT the fire.

There is one classic exception, although the sasquatch isn't really using the fire, just playing with it, or showing off for it's mate!

tirademan

CA1870FireSasquatch.gif

Guest Jodie

People drop lighters and lose them everywhere. I imagine if a bigfoot found it, it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

Anyone ever see that old movie "Quest for Fire"?

And what about lightening strikes, they usually cause fires in drier seasons. I've never heard of a report where they saw bigfoot carrying an ember wrapped in leaves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSWjkYAjAzA&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXck8P8sdMMl__Vbhmnqu75G

Guest BFSleuth

Thank you tirademan for that story about the BF waiving the lit sticks around, scattering the fire. It is the same story I read before and couldn't remember where I read it. At the very least, I think they are fascinated by and attracted to fire, maybe even find it exciting.

Whether they have the ability to MAKE their own fire, that might stretch my thinking at the moment. However, there is that story of the young boy pulled from a river by his foot by a BF (saved from drowning), then brought to some kind of shelter or den that seemed to have blowing hot air... he was kind of out of it and couldn't really give any details other than he was apparently inside a structure built of logs and pine limbs on pine straw, and warm are was blowing UP as I remember it. I'll see if I can find the thread.

The thought does occur to me that the old stories told by the First Nations people will likely be proven true, at least regarding the existence of BF. How much more of the stories are then true? Many stories throughout North America talk about BF using fire, or about lights in the woods.

It may ultimately be true that there is a connection between BF and fire. Certainly there are numerous sighting reports that have to do around campfires in the wilderness (and that was certainly true during my brother's sighting). At the very least I think a fire acts like a beacon for any intelligent animal in the night, the smell of smoke, and perhaps the smell of food...

BFF Patron

I think skunkape started that thread BFS: http://bigfootforums...__fromsearch__1

He said warm currents of air but no fire.

Edited by bipedalist

Guest spurfoot

It might be that they understand fire and how to use it, but don't have the manual dexterity to do fire making. They might also be that they lack the rudimentary knowledge of primitive firemaking techniques.

If this is all true, then fire would be an adventitious thing with them. If they acquire fire from a human campfire, then they might choose to use it, otherwise, perhaps they can't make it.

in one of my books, maybe by lauren coleman, a trapper or miner from oregon in the late 19th century had a bigfoot visiting his fire after he was out. it was written that it played with sticks that were burning.

Guest BFSleuth

This got me to thinking how do great apes deal with fire. I ran across this interesting article. Note the "dance" is really a swaying by the alpha male, maybe similar to the swaying that is often described in encounters with BF:

http://www.physorg.com/news183101385.html - Chimps Dance in the Face of Fire

... and this video of a chimp trained to make and use fire...