The Hunt For The Southern Bigfoot

Martin

Guest watch1

The location was Monster Central. I would direct questions to Jim Landsale as he owns the property, or the GCBRO.

I thought "Monster Hunter" Jim Landsdale, was in control also but I have not seen any rebuke of this statement anywhere and so now I wonder just who is in charge.

"Gerhard, who also heads up the Gulf Coast Bigfoot Research Organization, said Texas has one of the nation’s highest incidents of bigfoot reports, outranked only by Washington, California, Oregon, Ohio and Florida."

Who is Ken Gerhard?

I had heard several stories about the above incedent. In the words of Gunny Highway, It was a real cluster..well you get the picture.

Mike (watch1)

Edited by watch1

It must have eventually died if there were stomach contents found?

Mr. Lansdale doesn't believe so. No carcass or any creature remains were ever found and Mr. Lansdale claims to have seen a creature that "carried itself" in a stiff manner sometime after the incident that he believes might be the creature that was shot.

Ken Gerhard is a "member" of the GCBRO. He is not an official spokesman for the group. Fox News was over zealous in claiming anything other.

Bobby Hamilton is the head of the GCBRO and Jim Lansdale is in control of the property that had the hunt. Lansdale is a moderator on the GCBRO message board.

Any details concerning activities at "Monster Central" are kept in house and among the GCBRO membership. That is why you don't read much "response" to any comments or posts posted on other forums.

Edited by Splash7

Guest TexasTracker

Wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes or find somebody's honey hole. Just trying to get an general idea of the area. Yes, it's crazy the number of reports we get for Texas, but to be honest both Arkansas and Louisiana share the same woods with us. I personally think La is a goldmine of activity that rarely gets reported to "outsiders"

TT

Admin

What a mess!!!

The first thing that jumped out at me was the sniper with "14 confirmed kills". Where did he get the kills. Not sure at that time if the military had enough operations for him to get that many. Second, I am having a hard time finding info on the HK 92 series of rifles (could be just a typo, HK 91?). Finally, although certainly possible, would one use a rifle of this type as a sniper weapon? Thinking that bolt action would be more comfortable to a sniper.

Not casting doubt on the story teller, just questioning whether the "sniper" was actually one. Sounds like he was a wannabe.

Yes, SW AR, NW LA, and NE TX are a gold mine waiting to be struck. Just make sure you have a local with you who knows the area like the back of their hand. You DO NOT want to get lost in the swamps down there.

Edited by VAfooter

Typo, if it does exist it's G3 type rifle. I have a 91 myself actually. It'll do the job just fine, but not the weapon I would choose for that purpose. I live in SE Texas, National Forest outside my back door. My county actually has the most sightings in the state according to the BFRO. The general opinion among many researchers is that the southern "variety" are somewhat leaner and can at times appear to act meaner than their PNW counterparts. Many sighting reports lend weight to this purported fact.

No doubt the gentleman that claimed to be the sniper might not have had the experience he claimed. One of the problems of this "hunt" was some of the folks that were invited/allowed to participate. No actual vetting of experience/character was performed with some of the folks that participated, especially with the author of the "The Louisiana "Hunt"' report. ;)

The "sniper" didn't actually see the creature that he shot. A deer carcass was placed in the brush as bait. The shooter saw the creature's arm extend from the brush and grab the snout of the deer. The shooter followed the arm up to where he thought the spine of the creature was and then shot there. Sadly, it appears that the creature was gut shot.

The shooter didn't take the opportunity to take a second shot, while the creature was recovering from the first shot, so probably the best chance for a type specimen was missed.

Edited by Splash7

Guest TexasTracker

Just my opinion here, but when hunting for possibly the bigest, badest animal in North America, why would settle for .308?. Plenty of cartridges better suited for the job, (300 Win Mag, 30-378 Weatherby, 7mm RUM, 338 Lapua)....

For the record I am no-kill, but I am a gun fanatic also. If one is out to bag a type-specimen, arm yourself appropriately and give yourself the best chance for a sucessful & humane hunt.

Just sayin'

TT

Properly placed a .308 would certainly do the job. Not my preferred weapon for a sniper rifle but still efficient if properly placed.

If gut shot it sounds like the round was not properly placed.

14 confirmed kills? Is Longtabber PE, the Walter Mitty of the BF world and chicken farmer extraordinaire back?

Guest TexasTracker

HRP,

Agreed, my .308 is my general go-to for Texas deer. A well placed shot from most of the high powered rifles would more than likely do the trick. However, the sniper should have considered the likelyhood of having to deal with folage, or the probability of a less than optimal shot (case in point).

Hard to fault the guy on taking the shot. If all he could see was the arm with the bait being taken, it may have been his best/only chance.... Isn't hindsight great !!!

TT

Guest MikeG

If all you can see is an arm, is it right to be shooting at all? Surely you can't know what you are shooting with certainty, (for all you know it could just be a hairy man), and, as has happened here, you can't know whereabouts to be aiming. To just blast away into the bushes without a full indentification of what you are shooting at strikes me as irresponsible, to say the very least.

Mike

Yeah Texas Tracker I just told someone this morning that you are obviously woodwise and a hunter/sportsman.

Well placed, virtually all rifles sans maybe the .22 and .223 calibers would/should do the trick.

My preferred brush gun here in Georgia is the Marlin .35 with a 200 grain bullet. It will punch through some brush for sure to hit its mark and bring it down with reliable regularity within 100 yards.

Hindsight is 20/20 but as MikeG alludes/suggests probably wiser to hold off sans a clear shot of a known target.

I hunt and consider myself an ethical hunter. I do not take a shot unless I can bring the target down humanely.

Dunno, with the story as related it is sort of hard to capture the emotion of the event and all. I can see someone getting excited, and taking a hasty shot I guess.

But I do not relish the slow death of anything gut-shot.

Guest TexasTracker

If it truly was a gut-shot sas, I'm surprised anyone made it out alive. Seriously.

Ethically, I totally agree with MikeG as a hunter. I'm not sure that I wouldn't have taken the shot on the sas depending on how heavy the cover was. You may never get that shot again. I know that mentality is wrong for "everything else" and I totally agree with you in almost all cases.

That kinda puts this "sniper" in the same situation that our TBRC buddy faced last year in Okla. No clear shot to be taken, but opted to open fire anyway...

Maybe "sas-fever" is ten times as strong as buck fever??

TT

• 2 years later...

Even though the 308 is not the most powerful load, it's certainly powerful enough to take any animal in the world, including elephant, if the shooter is able to place the shot correctly. It was the preferred sniper caliber in urban environments for a long time since there are so many potential loads for it. I have one and have never used it to kill anything but hogs as I have other rifles I'm more comfortable with.

Regardless, it does shoot a large enough bullet, an average of 150 grains, to take down a Sasquatch. Even if gut shot, it would be fatal, although maybe not immediately.

I'm very surprised they vacated the area as I can't imagine the wounded Sasquatch would have gotten very far, after taking a bullet to the gut. Most animals will go to water, after getting gut shot, and I'm surprised the sniper didn't consider this for a follow up shot.

This was a once in a lifetime chance to get a specimen and to give up so quickly is very surprising. How far could a gut shot Sasquatch go? It's easy to be critical after the fact so maybe there were other circumstances I'm not aware of. If it had been me, I would have called every buddy I knew that had a gun, hunting skills and dogs, to come in and help me find the wounded animal.

I can't see just walking away from something like that and hoping for a second chance.

The "sniper" had a regular scope on his rifle but also a set of Gen III NV goggles with which he was (alternately) observing the creature prior to taking the shot. Although it was a full moon and his regular scope should have had enough light gathering capability to adequately see the target, I suspect he was subjected to a degree of immediate, short-term night blindness which you get when using NV in the green mode.