The Hunt For The Southern Bigfoot

Martin

Who knows why he missed the shot and even though I'm not a sniper, I've shot rifles for a long time, both at targets and game. There are plenty of reasons to miss a shot and I don't condemn the guy for missing. It's the leaving the wounded animal behind that really bothers me. In a sense, I almost don't believe the story for this very reason.

How much is a Bigfoot body worth? It has to be worth a fortune and even if money were not of interest, the scientific value of a specimen is incalculable.

If this story were true, they would have spent weeks there, trying to find the body.

What make this story more credible for me was the fact that two adversarial groups of people claim the root of the story to be true. 

I was very intrigued until I later heard claim that there is a primate facility some few miles away.

Remember Jaws?

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

"You're gonna need a bigger gun" in this case. Something with IMMEDIATE knock down power. Why does every hilljack with a gun think he could take one of these things down? I've hunted deer and elk in all sorts of wild places. Taken lots of large animals with my bow, however, I do own, and am familar with firearms. IMO, you would need to practice the shot. A lot. Lots of difference shooting a large caliber rifle. You would need to put it down immediately, then keep the body from being carried off. You would need help in this regard. Several people in fact, armed, and watching your back. And have a plan in place to get the body out, and know what to do with it.

I wouldn't mine being a curious spectator, from a distance, because I think your nerves would be tested at the hell that would be unleashed when you tried to take that body.

Guest sixxgunner

Interesting tale for sure. I will have to do some digging around to see the other people involved with this sequence of events. Thanks for sharing!

• 5 months later...

Update:

http://www.chimphaven.org/appears to be very close to "Monster Central"

The GCBRO now discusses Chimp Haven as if it is a brand new operation when it has been called Chimp Haven since 2005. I can't find any links but it may have taken over from a previous now defunct primate rescue operation. The original report posted at the start of this thread was from an incident that happened in 2001 and references a primate facility nearby which precedes chimp haven by at least 3 years.

Down thread at this link claims are made that there may be a Gorilla release area in Georgia. 

Anyone have any additional Info?

What? I could not imagine the state of Georgia signing off on someone dumping their pet Gorilla into the wild.......

Me either.

East Texas Steve is/was the caretaker of a large hunting lease on the border of TX and la.

10 or 15 years ago he posted some very good game cam pictures of a black panther from the property.

Its documented that the Jaguar is reclaiming its former range with confirmed sightings in Arizona.

There are no black phase cougar, it has to be a Jag.

It seems to me in order to collect stomach contents you would need to have a stomach itself to collect the contents from. The stomach contents will only tell you what the creature had eaten recently. Why didn't they also save the stomach so they could have DNA analysis done on the stomach tissue? Did they do this?

Could we learn something about the creature?

Edited by OkieFoot

It seems to me in order to collect stomach contents you would need to have a stomach itself to collect the contents from. The stomach contents will only tell you what the creature had eaten recently. Why didn't they also save the stomach so they could have DNA analysis done on the stomach tissue? Did they do this?

Could we learn something about the creature?

To add. I know they didn't have a whole stomach laying on the ground so were these stomach contents blown out with the gunshot and were just laying on the ground? It must have been a decent size hole to do that so it makes me think there should have been some pieces of stomach tissue along with the contents. Did they collect any stomach tissue along with blood samples and had them analyzed also? If they didn't they should have.

Hello Martin,

I don't see where this event closes the door on what science wants. By the same token Area X hasn't closed the door either. This isn't to say that the events reported aren't rich in possibilities just like Area X because if the exploits of the GCBRO are true and documented then they are a group to watch as well and I certainly wish them success. In all honesty this is the first I've read of their efforts. It sure sounds like it was an intense situation. I'll be following this with interest from here on out.

After reading through this post I have come to a few conclusions. I may be wrong here but......

1. The choice of caliber may not have been a choice at all. Just what he had available. Sure he could have borrowed a weapon....I have done that, once. I did not put any meat in the freezer that hunt. Perhaps that's the weapon he was comfortable with. I have taken equally sized mule deer with a 7mm Remington Magnum, Chinese SKS and a Mini 14. Distances varied but the deer were all in the 200# range and all expired in a manner that I felt was ethical. So the caliber argument isn't an argument at all if you can shoot the weapon you have. I know I'll get some back lash on that one.

2. Gut shot. Hey things happen. Animals move at inconvenient times. My brother had a whitetail move to scratch it's head as he was letting an arrow fly. The result was a badly wounded buck running around with a broken femur with an arrow lodged in its hind leg. Some tracking and another arrow later the buck was down.

3. How far could it go? The first Barbary Sheep/Aoudad I ever took was right at 300 yards, free standing. I didn't hit my mark, and clipped her spine. In the time it took to travel to her, she had dragged herself about 100 yards with just her front legs. So who knows jus how far a wounded squat ch could go. On average the animals I have take either drop in their tracks, or travel a max of 100 yards or so. Most have been taken with a 7mm Remington Magnum,overkill? Maybe so.

Just my few cents tossed in there.

What really bugs me about this event is that  DNA analyses reportedly returned results of a "Type A primate." What the heck is a Type A primate? That term really does not sound like something generated by scientific laboratory. Has a copy of the lab results ever been made public?

Edited by Branco