Sasquatch And Bears

Guest WIWolfman

Guest WIWolfman

Many reports WIW. Even reports of wolves, coyotes and bears appearing to be BF "pets". I personally think that's a bit "much", but the reports are there.

Also some reports of bear/BF conflicts

------------------------------------------------

This is cool! I guess having an open-mind here is a must. But I suppose that anything is possible that in mindset of these animals they probably would be afraid of something the size of Bigfoot and would try to be friendly if they crossed paths. Animals do have common sense to right?

Maybe so slick but I think the above was a clear-cut case of "tag", Your IT! :onthequiet:

(only the smarter than the average bears get to play more than one round)

lol, probably so bipedalist,but perhaps there were other factors at work there. old BF may have just been...

• 1 month later...
Guest BFSleuth

I've been thinking about this one aspect of bears being seen to run away from BF and how this seems to be the same behavior many observe of bears in the wild when confronted by humans. I was just watching "Alone in the Wilderness" again for the upteenth time (great documentary!) and it struck me how when he was out picking huckleberries and a big grizzly came within 60 yards of him it ran away when it apparently caught his scent...

... so the thought occurred to me.... if a bear that has no contact with humans runs away in apparent fear upon confronting a human, why do they do that? It could be argued that bears have instinct to avoid humans, but why would that be? Are their confrontations with humans prior to firearms that ingrained in their instinct that they avoid us, or did they "learn" quickly about us after firearms became part of our weaponry? I find it hard to believe that they would learn to fear humans, much smaller than they are, based on interactions with indigenous populations armed with bows and arrows or maybe a spear.

It makes me wonder whether humans are benefitting from our resemblance to BF. I could understand their fear of BF if they have interaction with dominant males or adult females protecting young ones. If they see and smell a human, perhaps they identify the biped shape and similar smell and get out of Dodge in a hurry... thinking we might be a young BF and the alpha male has to be nearby.

Just thinking out loud here...

... and for those interested this is a link to that great documentary:

I've been thinking about this one aspect of bears being seen to run away from BF and how this seems to be the same behavior many observe of bears in the wild when confronted by humans. I was just watching "Alone in the Wilderness" again for the upteenth time (great documentary!) and it struck me how when he was out picking huckleberries and a big grizzly came within 60 yards of him it ran away when it apparently caught his scent...

... so the thought occurred to me.... if a bear that has no contact with humans runs away in apparent fear upon confronting a human, why do they do that? It could be argued that bears have instinct to avoid humans, but why would that be? Are their confrontations with humans prior to firearms that ingrained in their instinct that they avoid us, or did they "learn" quickly about us after firearms became part of our weaponry? I find it hard to believe that they would learn to fear humans, much smaller than they are, based on interactions with indigenous populations armed with bows and arrows or maybe a spear.

It makes me wonder whether humans are benefitting from our resemblance to BF. I could understand their fear of BF if they have interaction with dominant males or adult females protecting young ones. If they see and smell a human, perhaps they identify the biped shape and similar smell and get out of Dodge in a hurry... thinking we might be a young BF and the alpha male has to be nearby.

Some good thoughts Sleuth. I've ofetn wondered of the reports where people say they saw a BF "just standing there staring at me" if it is a case of BF wondering what the heck we are. I'm confident BF sees us much more then we see them, but there still has to be a first time for BF to see a human.

And that's a great documentary you linked. I've seen it several times now on our local PBS staion. Great stuff and amazing a man can do that.

I meant to plus this post but hit the quoted one instead, so here's a plus +

That's a great one hour program on BF for anyone who has never seen it. Some very believable eyewitness stories, backed up by a woman who does facial expressions to indicate truthfulness. Though I have always wondered if the guy sleeping in his car actually just dreamed his encounter.

Guest OntarioSquatch

This one guy that Robert Lindsay interviewed said they can raise their EMF. A high EMF would scare animals away and it would explain why some of us become so disoriented and confused around Sasquatch.

the was a movie in the 70's in theaters about bigfoot (that I forget the name) where they found a grizzly bear dead and it looked like something tore the lower half apart.

Edited by zigoapex

BFF Patron

This one guy that Robert Lindsay interviewed said they can raise their EMF. A high EMF would scare animals away and it would explain why some of us become so disoriented and confused around Sasquatch.

I would hazard to guess that if a Squatch can do it, a Grizzly with elevated EMF would be capable of charging a long way without recharging.

Yeah, winces, sorry for that, lol.

Seriously, if a squatch could raise their EMF at will, and many report eye glow variations as a form of "power up", which I guess could be a part of that, it puts the animal in a whole other class besides hominid I would think. I'll be anxiously awaiting how that would be reflected in the dna too.

Guest tirademan

Yeah, this kind of grates over a million dollar bear repellent idea I had, but won't realize. You take a hand-held air horn and make it blast a recording of sasquatch saying "get the hell away from me bear," along with some pepper spray. The obvious problem is getting that dang recording. One could also employ a plywood cutout of sasquatch to keep bears away from the house?...maybe not.

BFSleuth touched on something I scream at my TV often. People seem to forget to add sasquatch to the mix when they do their natural history research type programs. Sasquatch has been out there, like us, and needs to be accounted for because he's Boss of the Mountain.

But, bears, yes yum...

tirademan

ps- edited to say Alone in the Wilderness II is out now...more freaky awesomeness. If you haven't seen it, check it out from your library NOW! (or you could buy it.)

http://www.dickproenneke.com/alone_in_the_wilderness_2.html

post-325-0-64803600-1340224379_thumb.jpg

Edited by tirademan

Guest Transformer

Why do you think that the bear that Mr. Proenneke ran into had never seen a human before? Do you think that he was the first person to set foot in that area because you are very wrong. The use of float planes isn't a new thing and that area was hunted and fished for years before Mr. Proenneke ever decided to set foot there and it is still one of the most popular hunting places in Lake Clark Park. Mr. Proenneke was not the first person or the only person to have a cabin on the lakes although he was the only person to live there year around for such a length of time. This is not to slight Mr. Proenneke because what he did was incredibly amazing and a testament to human ingenuity and perseverance.

Guest BFSleuth

That is true, the area had been hunted. Do you suppose that bear had been shot or shot at before?

Guest Transformer

^ It could have been or its mother or mother's female ancestors could have been and taught human avoidance down the line. Bears that are truly not used to humans will sometimes show a fear/curiosity combination that will result in the bear running off a little ways and then coming back and repeating this until it either gets up enough nerve to try and chase you out of its area or goes into predatory mode (mostly black bear) or decides that you are too big of an unknown to tangle with. The size/age of the bear is a big factor as to what the eventual outcome will be. People who are in isolated areas of BC such as Forestry Techs and the like will often have to use hazing techniques such as bear spray or warning shots into the ground in front of such bears to scare them off. These account for a lot of unreported bear/human encounters that are not reported as it is old hat and not unexpected. It does skew the statistics about the safety of bear/human conflict in isolated areas though and people think it is a lot safer in some areas than it really is.

One reported case of a bear attack on Forestry Techs that indicates that the humans were probably unknown to the bear occurred in Driftwood Valley about 220 miles northwest of Prince George BC. They were taken in by helicopter due to long distances to any roads. The bear came charging two Techs as they were flagging a baseline. They heard it coming and they tried to climb trees but they were too small and the branches broke. Louie realized he was not going to make it up the tree and then slid down and tried to get his bear spray up and working. The grizzly still came running and then came to a complete and sudden stop in front of him. It then sat on its haunches about 3 feet from him for a few seconds while it looked at him and then stood up on its hind legs and pushed him over with its front paws. When the bear felt how easy Louie went over he continued the attack and nearly killed him while the other Tech (Wade) went up a tree and threw everything he had at the bear trying to get it off his friend. Luckily he kept his bear spray because when the bear thought Louie was dead it went up the tree Wade was in about 40 feet up and ripped up his leg and grabbed his foot and pulled him down through the branches to the bottom of the tree.

Wade said the bear's nose was about two feet from him when he loosed the spray and the bear got a snoutful and took off but came back and Wade was up the tree about 15 feet when the bear came back up and he sprayed it into its open mouth as it bit at his legs again. This time the bear took off for good but the guys were pretty scared until they made contact with a logging truck via radio telephone and got the chopper back which took a few hours. Louie was in pretty poor shape but after nine months of surgeries and skin grafts he was nearly healed although he will have a permanent limp and bad scarring. Wade recovered but now carries a 44 mag.

This story is known to me through my brother-in-law who knows Wade Sjodin and Louie Van Gootel. http://www.tdb.ca/thepartners.php

** I would also like to apologize for the tone of my earlier post because after re-reading it I thought it sounded pretty snarky even though I did not mean it to be. Thank you for not replying in the same tone mine was written. **

Edited by Transformer

Areas that support a healthy bear population often have Bigfoot sightings. The Jacobs creature is a prime example of a young Sasquatch curiously following bear. One question often brought up in that incident is why didn't the bear or deer return for the bait? Some have speculated they were eaten by a family of Sasquatch in that area that had numerous sightings.

Edited by MikeG
........duplicate paragraph removed