Anyone Interested In Starting A Maryland Group?

Guest shoot1

i think a trail camera is a good idea, i also have a camera i think it is a cuddleback not one of the cheap ones, but not a super nice one either. Two cameras are better than 1. But if you want, i could just set mine up and maybe after you get some free time we could both go in and snoop around and you can set yours up as well.

Guest shoot1

Is that an IR/motion-sensing camera? I like the idea of time-lapsed cameras because they don't use Infrared and IR cameras have basically been proven to not work. I'm also thinking of staking it to the ground and covering it with ghillie-styled camo and then spraying everything with scent-block.

Planning on doing a mid week evening hike this week. not sure exactly what day. But plan on pressing a little further into a patch of forest i checked out this Saturday.

If people don't have anything better to do, or just looking for an excuse to get outside & do some hiking, get some exercise let me know. patch of forest is in Laurel, MD, if you are interested but it is north across the street from Maryland City Park off Brock Bridge rd in Laurel.

Guest shoot1

Wish I could, man. I work evenings and my time is tied up between work and family issues. My schedule should be cleared up by August.

good deal keep me posted. I might postpone this hike due to recent events, A prisoner escaped while on highway trash duty in the area the other day. Could be hiding out in the woods, who knows. best to air on the side of caution.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ajciani

If you want to find bigfoots in MD, western MD is a good place, but the west side of the Chesapeake is very good too.

In Susquehanna State Park, I have seen footprints, tree structures, had a smell and follow encounter, found more footprints (including a small rotten log crushed underneath one), and found a possible burial mound.

In Rocks State Park, I had a bird whistling exchange with something large, and on the ground. Found some small logs leaned up against a tree, and some 'X's.

Up in Pretty Boy, I had a strange incident when walking along the road back to my car just as twilight was fading. I had a feeling I was being followed, so I stopped. When I did, there was a "gong" from the metal guard rail behind me, as though something bumped into it while going over. I turned and looked for a bit, but didn't see anything. I figured it would have been strange for anything to go over it, due to the ravine on the other side.

Around Liberty Reservoir, I found a constructed shelter, carefully hidden, and a rather obvious tree-pee, which included a 6 inch pine tree that had been broken twice, probably to fit it into the structure, along with a constructed arch.

Anyway, I think the best bet is around Susquehanna State Park. I found the highest concentration of suspected bigfoot sign, and this is where Bob Chance got his castings. Supposedly, Gunpowder Falls State Park is another good spot to find them, but the woods are regularly cleaned out by volunteers.

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to join the group and explore in Maryland but I am on the Eastern Shore. There are very large tracts of forest and numerous sighting reports on the shore. Most are older but the BFRO has several listed that are more recent. Currently been checking out a sighting from just a couple years ago near the Pocomoke River State Forest area. The Pocomoke State Forest is rather large and quite desolate.

• 3 months later...

Bump on this topic.

Been thinking more and more about doing recreations and or something like "control hoax" Creating bigfoot video's that are not designed to fool people but to show what is possible with your average person with average equipment to help develop a base line of how easy or hard it is to make something look decent.

I have an older dvd recorder that would work great for shooting, and even stills, and a mid level trail camera that would work well for pics as well.

Just need at least another person to work camera while i play BF :D

Seems like it could fun and eye opening at the same time.

We could also do some local hunts as well as there are a few places i have been interested in.

Let me know

howard county area is where i am from

• 3 weeks later...

post-338-0-94935500-1336966550_thumb.jpg

Like I said, y'all best aim west, way west.

Actually, Anne Arundel has by far the most sightings (BFRO). Garrett has practically none. Why this is, who knows. It may be that in recent decades AA - historically with large tracts of apparently suitable habitat - has had much development, which tends to push up sightings short term, as people push into habitat. Garrett still has lots of places to hide.

Wouldn't rule out the Eastern Shore. There's lots of habitat; for the most part relatively low pop density; and the literature seems to show that these animals will take significant advantage of agriculture when they can. Not many sightings; but that may be for the same reason as Garrett. Well, it's not "many places to hide" so much as "few people to see them." (In Garrett, it's both.)

Keep me in your thoughts, folks, for a possible group. Not sure how much time I can devote, but getting out and helping where I can I want to at least consider.

In Calvert County, I once saw two trees, inverted and standing straight up, at the shoreline of a creek. Similar evidence has been compellingly associated with sasquatch in the PNW. I couldn't see any evidence (or reason to believe) that humans did this, and I wouldn't bet a nickel that "natural forces" like wind and water did it. I mean, these trees - bad judge of height but each in the 15 to 30-foot high range - were standing straight up, upside down.

Couldn't get close enough to examine them for chain marks, saw cuts and stuff like that, but couldn't see any signs of heavy equipment, and doubt that creek bank would have supported it. Drove by a week or so ago; they're still there. Reported it to the BFRO. Dave Brake took the report and corresponded with me (sent him photos). He said that PNW squatchbuddies thought it to be of human origin. He wasn't convinced that was true.

Edited by DWA

Guest tomro62

Hey everyone, Anne Arundel County here. I am ready to go, whenever anyone wants to get together and organize a group. My 13 year old son and I have gone on day hikes, looking for evidence. We have found only mildly suspicious things, nothing concrete. But you want to know something? Just doing it is a lot of fun by itself. To get out in the fresh air, explore some new places, just enjoy the day! And heck, your Squatching, so what can be bad about that? Oh, and I am convinced they are in Maryland as well. My belief is that Maryland in on their north / south trekking path for the winter and summer. I would love to do some searching on the Appalachin' Trail, and along power lines. Well, that's my theory. Let's get a big state map and start comparing theories and pick some places to go Squatching!

Guest ajciani

Anne Arundel does seem pretty good for sightings, especially around the airport, Fort Meade, and the Patuxent Research Refuge.

If you want to have a high chance of an encounter, the place with the highest concentration of possible bigfoot sign I have ever seen is in Susquehanna State Park, between Rock Run Rd and the Steppingstone Museum. I had a possible encounter there too.

Guest tomro62

ajciani...I agree with you on both points, in AA County and Sus. St. Park. That area has seen the most recent activity, I believe. I'd love to get up there and have a look around. I'd like to hear about your encounter. I grew up in the very small area of Cedarville, MD, right next the a State Park, and had some power lines running beside our area. When we were kids (the 1970s, I'm old...lol), we would run around all night long and hear god awful yells and screams out in the power lines. I'm sure there were plenty of screach owls to account for most of it, and I know there were coyotes, but there were plenty of noises we heard that we could never feel right about. That is about as close to an encounter I can ever say I had....

Sightings in Garrett County are probably nonexistent because no one lives there. Plus people is rural areas don't like attention and don't tell anyone anything. If squatches lived east of Hagerstown there would be more sightings. I just don't see it.

West Virgina and western VA are the places to go around here. There are many areas there that are unexplored and there are limestone caves all over the place. I was at the Watoga State Park in WVA. in 2006. From reading the BFRO expedition reports and some PM's, I found out exactly where they had a night time sighting of a few squatches. It was a trail that ran along a creek. I saw some strange stuff like shelters and large fallen trees that were stacked. No way a even a Bobcat could get back there to lift those trees.

Then I went over to the Cranberry Wilderness. I'd live there if I was a squatch. Quiet, desolate, hiding places everywhere, abundant water, etc. I saw some small footprints. Why would a human be walking on gravel without shoes?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tomro62

What are we all waiting for? We should form a tri-state group and hit MD, VA and WV. I am definitely on board, and know a couple of others that would join the ranks. How should we all go about getting in contact with each other?

I think people that are actually interested will be following this thread. I don't think there is anything in Maryland that would warrant a large investigation, most tracks of land are not huge and can easily be investigated by 1 or 2 people. BUT!! I have been meaning to get out to WV into the middle of no where for a long time and do a day through the night hike. I think that would be the best way to get a few people interested. Lets organize a WV meet up, any time of year seems good to me but if someone has a preference or theory on best season im all ears.

what does everyone think?