The Sykes / Sartori Report - Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project

Guest gershake

My statement that I support the idea that Dr. Sykes is coming to this area of research with reservations is because if he finds DNA evidence for the existence of relict hominids or heretofore unknown apes, then in the politics of science it will lend greater credence to his results. He also comes to this study with a solid reputation, which in itself will also lend greater weight to the findings.

This is the trap door I was speaking of, Dr. Ketchum tested possible Sas samples for years starting in 1995. She was skeptical too until one sample from Paulides sparked her study. Now she is considered to be biased. Sykes will hear it too if he finds positive evidence. Maybe he will be the one to break that stigma if Ketchum doesn't.

Edited by southernyahoo
  • Upvote 1

In a perfect world i'd agree with you Mulder, but we don't live in a perfect world hence i am in full agreement with what was said as even science has elements of discrimination.

Edit to say : BFS put it much more eloquently than i ever could, a few posts up.. ;)

Which detracts from it's authority to speak as to matters of fact and truth, IMO. That's always been one of my points.

Guest Transformer

Great quote from Sykes:

"As an academic I have certain reservations about entering this field, but I think using genetic analysis is entirely objective; it can't be falsified," Sykes said. "So I don't have to put myself into the position of either believing or disbelieving these creatures."

I'd give that a +1 if he posted that on this forum.

I have a very large problem with that statement. No real scholar should ever be reluctant to engage a topic of inquiry simply for what the topic is. Any subject can be properly addressed in a scholarly manner, and the status of any idea, theory, or topic in science should always be "open to review".

Mulder I can understand your position but I think his use of the word "reluctant" is appropriate given his real life situation in the real world. Given what you have reported yourself about what academic people go through by taking on such a controversial subject in a very public way it must give him the odd nervous twitch as to what is going to be said and written about him by his peers both publicly and privately. I don't think it will be favorable or fun for Dr. Sykes in the least. I applaud Dr. Sykes' courage.

^As do I. I know the difference between things as they should be and things as they are. Though, as Sleuth and others have noted, Sykes' status both in stature and previously stated position may shield himself somewhat from all but the hard-core Skofftics (like the KU guy).

Mulder I can understand your position but I think his use of the word "reluctant" is appropriate given his real life situation in the real world. Given what you have reported yourself about what academic people go through by taking on such a controversial subject in a very public way it must give him the odd nervous twitch as to what is going to be said and written about him by his peers both publicly and privately. I don't think it will be favorable or fun for Dr. Sykes in the least. I applaud Dr. Sykes' courage.

Good points. On the other hand, if this reveals BF DNA, then Dr. Sykes will become more well known and revered. However, this doesn't seem to be his purpose since he probably has pure science motives. The risk is great, since anyone studying BF seems to end up being ridiculed due to the negative energy associated with the beast. Many seem to be in denial and don't want the monster in the woods to be true.

Has anyone on the forum approached sykes about the hair submissions and gone through the screening process. I was just wondering how long it takes forthem to reply to messages

It sounds like you have to write them about your sample describing it, and the circumstances of it's collection. If they feel it is worthy they will send you a collection kit. I'm sure if you have photo's of the hair or other sample they would atleast respond to you.

It sounds like you have to write them about your sample describing it, and the circumstances of it's collection. If they feel it is worthy they will send you a collection kit. I'm sure if you have photo's of the hair or other sample they would atleast respond to you.

I have approached them and explained how and where the samples were collected etc, I will geive them a few more days and try again

Guest WesT

Have patience yowiie, I'm sure there are alot of other researchers wanting to contribute samples as well, so I'd say they have thier hands full at this time.

Guest BFSleuth

I don't have inside knowledge of chain of custody procedures. However, with the request from OL they are requesting that you give a full written description of the sample and the manner in which it has been collected, with pictures or other documentation if available. I read somewhere that for hair samples they were going to require that you have had an examination of the morphology as well (couldn't find that right now). Only after they have vetted samples from these written proposals will they then request selected samples for DNA analysis.

If I were in their shoes I would only select samples that have the most detailed manner of collection and storage, and the most likely to yield positive results. As noted above I'm sure they are going to be inundated with sample submission proposals and it will likely be some time before anyone submitting a proposal will hear back from them. It will probably be like running through hundreds or thousands of resumes to fill 20 jobs, your resume will have to be a cut above the rest to be able to be invited for an interview (DNA analysis in this case).

Have patience yowiie, I'm sure there are alot of other researchers wanting to contribute samples as well, so I'd say they have thier hands full at this time.

That what I suspect, I'll sit and wait

Sykes is looking for an hypothesized human/unknown hominid hybrid. So I suppose if one felt like they had a sample from such , they could send it to Oxford Ancestors and get their MatriLine and Y-Clan DNA Combo package. It would cost 340.00 pounds, but I'm sure it would be worth it to gauge their reaction if for instance your father was a bigfoot or a Yowie. Could make for an interesting double check of what Sykes finds.

http://www.oxfordancestors.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,flypage/product_id,20/category_id,7/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,67/