The Sykes / Sartori Report - Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project

Guest gershake

Hello all,

I was hoping someone recorded the C2C program last night with Dr. Sykes and if so would please direct me to a link so I may listen. The SETI discussion put me to sleep.

Thanks in advance

Can somone with some genetics background answer this rudimentary question. If the Sykes Study will be screening for mtDNA is it possible that the BFprofiles could be identical to homo sapiens where differences could only be found in NuDNA sequencing/testing ????

I think Linsay brought this up as well.

I would think that this would have been considered.......

Thanks

Big Stinky

Yes, southernyahoo, I took that opinion as well. Sounded like collect several hairs now, see if they have DNA then analyze. I think from the interview, he is not expecting to find anything out of the ordinary. Just bears, people, goats, etc...

BFF Patron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFD_UJYfVF0

He says he is collecting until the cut-off date, then will review what has been sent in and get the back story or provenance before moving on to the next stages. Sounds like it will be systematic and not piece-meal, with all results released at the appointed time concurrently.

Starts at about the 45 minute mark above.

Hah, Noory is trying to get him to test the StarChild Skull, and asks if it has teeth? Edited by bipedalist

Can somone with some genetics background answer this rudimentary question. If the Sykes Study will be screening for mtDNA is it possible that the BFprofiles could be identical to homo sapiens where differences could only be found in NuDNA sequencing/testing ????

I think Linsay brought this up as well.

I would think that this would have been considered.......

Thanks

Big Stinky

I think since his project is titled "Collateral Hominid Project" he most likely understands that he will be targeting both maternal and paternal lineages in the samples.The Paternal lineage is nuDNA from the "y" chromosome in male samples. Oxford has extensive data in ancient ancestry they will compare the sequences to. I expect he doesn't expect to find new ancestral lineages, but if there is anything to the hybrid hominid theories on bigfoot, his aim is on target, and he would be atleast one of the right scientists to test that question.

My opinion of Sykes is a) curiousity. B) I think he hopes to see a living population of Neanderthals or other race. He didn't mention an ape at all. The interview was interesting. British accents always make radio interesting. Laboratory= la-boar-uh-tor-ree. History= hiss-torr-reh. Haha.

Guest MikeG

Don't forget whose language it is, Hosierfoot..........the clue is in the name :) We roll around on the floor whenever you try and say aluminium or call a backside a fanny !!

Mike

Ha, ya I guess we over here are the ones with the accent. Sykes is original. I always get a kick out of British actors or comedians trying to talk American. They must think we are all from the Bronx!

Guest BFSleuth

Sykes... said he is immune from criticism because you can't fake DNA. Very open and honest. Kinda nice!

This is very true. For anyone that wants to denigrate the efforts of either Dr. Sykes or Dr. Ketchum to claim they are hoaxing, then it should be noted that trying to "hoax" DNA would be a hoax on the order of magnitude above all other hoaxes.

It seems these poms aren't interested in anything but BF hairs, I submitted my request almost 6 weeks ago and still nothing

My understanding is that Dr. Sykes won't consider any hair sample submission unless you have already privately had a morphology analysis that excludes known species. Have you already done that?

Guest MikeG

I was about to respond with the vice versa, but I guess I better get all-boringly-moderatorish and.......

.........ask that everyone make a bit of an effort to get this thread back to somewhere near it's title.

Thanking you.

Mike

Well done BFS.......our posts crossed.

Guest BFSleuth

Thanks, Mike... sometimes I feel the need to grab an electric torch to find my way on these threads.... :D

You are correct to note that this thread is about the Sykes-Sartori DNA study, and this thread should be on topic.

Guest Peter O.

Ha, ya I guess we over here are the ones with the accent. Sykes is original. I always get a kick out of British actors or comedians trying to talk American. They must think we are all from the Bronx!

Ever hear Andrew Lincoln, aka policeman Rick on The Walking Dead? I had no clue at all he was a Brit until I saw him interviewed. Fantastic job.

Oh, right, what I meant to say on-topic is that I'll have to give the Coast-2-Coast show a listen. I'm not surprised that he's just going to gather, test, and publish, since it seems like geneticists have DNA testing down to an everyday activity. Makes me wonder all the more about what could be causing delays with that other one.

Edited by Peter O.